For runners who take smart phones..

Options

Replies

• erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This might sound kind of silly, but I actually run with a backpack on. This gives me a place to keep my phone, keys, and (during the colder months) winter gear (or a place to put winter gear if I start out wearing it and get too hot.)
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I hold mine or put it between my boobs :D
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I got an arm strap at walmart for my phone.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Armband all the way! If you have an iPhone, you can get the Otterbox Commuter Case and it still fits inside one certain armband (I searched google and bought mine on amazon, don't remember the name of the armband). I've gotten most of my armbands on eBay for really cheap prices & it's so easy to have it out of the way but still be able to listen to music/track stuff with the apps.
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    I used a water belt and put the phone in a ziplock bag and then inside the water belt pocket. But, now I use a Garmin watch/hrm.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    In an arm wallet attached to my arm.... or in the pockets provided in most running gear.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone and use an arm band. :)
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I use a SpiBelt, which I LOVE. Fits my phone and keys with some room to spare. No bouncing. I haven't had the sweat problem yet but I haven't run in warm weather with it - for winter running it goes on the outside of my shirt but under my jacket.

SpiBelt, thanks...never heard of it before and looks great.

I am totally undecided between an arm band or waist type thing.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    for short runs I might keep it in my hand, for longer runs where I carry my water bottle I'll either put it in my fuel belt or in the pocket on my bottle holder and when I need Gu in either one of those I have a carrier for my upper arm that also helps if I use the GPS for trekking my miles.
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You can buy an arm band for a Smart phone, which wraps around your bicep, and get a shorter set of earphone cords OR just stuff the excess length into the arm band. Thats what I do when its warm enough to go without a jacket. If Its too cold to go without a jacket, I have an old 'fat jacket' with an inside pocket, I just stuff it in there. It can get sweaty in the pockets and cause the 'touchscreen' to activate. SO to avoid butt dialing I put a kleenex or two in the pocket to help absorb moisture.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, when I run I run with my dogs and have the leads attached to a belt which has a nice iPhone sized pocket on the back :-)

My friend uses an arm-band thingy to put hers in
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I have quite literally tried every apparatus there is for carrying things while on a run and I can't deal with any of them. Spibelt made me want to kill myself it was so irritating, arm strap thing kept sliding down so I tightened it and it was uncomfortable, tried out the wrist Spibelt (tried on both wrist and ankle) nope, annoying as hell. I can't even deal with wearing a HRM. Just can't do it.

So, I just use an iPod shuffle bc it clips to my clothes, and if I'm out by myself I have a small pepper spray that straps to my hand that doesn't bother me so much. It still bugs me a little, but I'm getting used to it. I just can't deal with all that apparatus!
  • mals422
    Options
    I use an arm band. I like to be able to check my stats while I'm running, and you can use the touchscreen through the plastic cover on the arm band. It's not 100% comfortable, but I'd rather have the data than go without it! I chose an arm band over a waist band because my back likes to start aching if I carry too much at waist level.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I use an armband with a plastic front so I can still work the phone. If I'm wearing long sleeves I wear it on my upper arm but if I'm on the treadmill or running outside in short sleeves I put it on my forearm, it's more comfortable there with no sleeves. It did not protect the phone in the rain, though. I got caught in a downpour and I even tried to shield the phone in my hand but it still got wet and didn't work for a day.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    I worked at a cellphone repair shop for 8 years, I would advise putting it against your skin, it takes one drop of sweat in the right spot to void your warranty. I would definitely consider a cover to keep it safe from sweat and rain and then attach it to yourself. I dealt with thousands of customers who ruined $1000 devices, when you purchase a phone with a contract the cost of the phone is subsidized by the service provider, when you have to purchase on outright you are screwed they are pretty much 6 times the cost.

Be very careful.
  • Devonanne
    Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I hold mine in my hand - I use Runkeeper while running so I am constantly glancing at my phone to see my pace, distance, etc. Plus I am always fiddling with my music playlist so having it in a pocket or anything would not be convenient.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I have an iphone and I have an arm band. :)
  • Vickied84
    Vickied84 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I hold mine in between my boobs. I knew they were good for something :)
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have a running belt and my phone has a case with a clip...I clip the phone to the strap on the belt
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I ran with mine in my sports bra for the longest time. Then, I finally ponied up the $15 (what the heck was I waiting for?!) for an arm band made for my type of phone. Using the apps has helped me be more fit because I get really competitive with myself - did I go faster/farther than yesterday?

Lol! That's totally me! I put my iPhone into my sports bra until I finally went and bought an armband. I bought mine at Target for around $15 or so. Sometimes I don't mind it, but I need to find one that will let me make it tighter. Sometimes I have to keep adjusting it. But once I get a smaller one, I'll be good.