Can you eat back your calories

Options
I have not been able to find a clear answer on this. When I work out, can i eat back my calories?

Replies

• HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just started this site but eating them back makes no sense to meet and I find it so frustrating b/c I SUCK at math and I find it confusing when I am looking at my food journal. How many damn calories do I have left? Haha!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat back your calories when you work out. I've just started but I want to create a bigger caloric deficit so don't eat back my calories. If I find that I am not losing or plateauing I will eat back some of my calories.
  • kimknerr
    Options
    I agree that this tool on the site is difficult to understand. I actually don't use it because I feel like you do. If to loose weight I need to eat 1200 calories a day, then if I burn 200 more by exercising that should be a bonus and a way to loose more in a smaller amount of time. I guess for someone who just wants to focus on the 1.3 pounds a week they can loose from eating correctly this helps them see what they are burning from working out and gives them the chance to add it back in.

I say, what is the point in working your butt off if you are just going to turn around and put that energy back in your body. I think the site should give us a way to record our exercise without having to add it to our daily calorie goal.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I just started this site but eating them back makes no sense to meet and I find it so frustrating b/c I SUCK at math and I find it confusing when I am looking at my food journal. How many damn calories do I have left? Haha!

You shouldn't have to do any math...MFP tells you how many you have left...
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    When I eat all of them back, I maintain, but when I eat just a few back, I lose.
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    i personally dont eat my exercise calories back
    i gain weight if i do :sad:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    The key to lasting weight loss is not ultra low calories! This program is designed for you to eat your exercise calories, especially if your goal is set to 1,200.

I'll edit to add- My daily goal is set to 1,600. I generally will burn 300-700 per day and eat a total of 2,000, so I am not eating all of my exercise, but I am consuming at least 1,600. I'm only 1.4 pounds from goal, so I can safely say that method worked for me.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think there are 2 different groups of people here. Some say you can and should and some say no. I eat about half of mine. As long as I Net 1200 calories then I don't sweat it. Some days I net more, but I try not to go under 1200 at any time. I'm fairly new so i'm still trying to figure it all out. So far I have had no problems losing weight. Sorry if that didn't help. Hopefully someone can give you an exact answer.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I say, what is the point in working your butt off if you are just going to turn around and put that energy back in your body. I think the site should give us a way to record our exercise without having to add it to our daily calorie goal.

Working out has other benefits than just increasing weight loss -- mfp plans it for you to have a constant loss/deficit instead of increasing depending on your exercise.

That being said, if you don't want to eat them, just enter your exercise at the very end of the day instead of as you do it.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Jenne1979
    Jenne1979 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would say no. It makes no sense to me, you are burning calories which is good! You are supposed to burn more calories than you take in each day, through a combination of exercise and natural calorie burn. My advice, don't eat them! :)
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say... you aren't going to get a clear answer! There are people on both sides of the issue.

Theoretically "yes" you can eat back your calories and still maintain your desired calorie deficit and lose weight. But no you do not HAVE to eat them back.

My advice, do what feels best for a while (eating them or not) see if it works, if not... switch it up.

Personally, I use the exercise calories as a buffer. I almost never intentionally eat them all back, but sometimes I'm grateful to have the cushion between my intake goal and what I sometimes eat.
  • kimknerr
    Options
    I know it has lots of great benefits but for my current goal - weight loss is the benefit I am focused on.
  • albinogorilla
    Options
    I would say no. It makes no sense to me, you are burning calories which is good! You are supposed to burn more calories than you take in each day, through a combination of exercise and natural calorie burn. My advice, don't eat them! :)

by that logic you recommend if you eat 1200 calories, and you spent enough time working out to burn 1200 calories, which many of my friends do, you say dont eat anything else? That means you have a zero net calorie number for the day............if you burnt up all you ate, then what is left to run your vital organs, and replenish the tissues that are constantly dying and being replaced in your body?
  • suziecue66
    Options
    There will always be two sides so that's why you have to do what works for YOU - not anyone else.
  • suziecue66
    Options

by that logic you recommend if you eat 1200 calories, and you spent enough time working out to burn 1200 calories, which many of my friends do, you say dont eat anything else? That means you have a zero net calorie number for the day............if you burnt up all you ate, then what is left to run your vital organs, and replenish the tissues that are constantly dying and being replaced in your body?

Most are not going to workout so hard that they are burning 1200 calories per day but I see your point.
  • sunshinekind919
    sunshinekind919 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think this depends a lot on your height to begin with. I don't know how MFP takes into account the dietary needs for short girls, but at 5'2" 1200 calories is what I maintain on, meaning I do my best to eat less than the 1200 regardless of what I burn from exercise. Now, if I may impart a word of warning, I would not focus too much on the scale. If you are exercising and eating less, you may be gaining muscle as you burn fat. I saw my weight go up in the middle of losing my total so far because I had reached a point where I was gaining muscle. I use a tape measure as a way to track losses also. It doesn't take into account for bloating/water weight, but I feel it's a good way to check a gain on the scale.
  • albinogorilla
    Options

Most are not going to workout so hard that they are burning 1200 calories per day but I see your point.

it may be an extreme example........but i have seen people on here burning 1000+ in a day and only taking in 800 calories...........your body burns calories all the time.........not saying you have to eat back every single one, but your workouts will be more effective if you fuel them properly.
  • mytjojo
    Options
    Holly Cats!!
    Thanks for all of the input
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options

You shouldn't have to do any math...MFP tells you how many you have left...
    Thanks for trying to help but u misunderstood my comment. MFP tells u how much as if ur eating ur exercise calories back since I don't I have to do math. Thanks anyway! :-)