Exercise 7 days a week?

Options
Is it ok to exercise 7 days a week or does our body need a break?
I have walked our done Zumba the past 6 days in a row, and was going to take today off, but I find myself wanting to get out there and do some exercise!

Replies

• kaydensmom12
    Options
    I am interested in hearing other responses b/c I know that it is important for rest days for muscle recovery but if you feel like exercising I defiantly would! I exercise about everyday b/c I like to eat more lol.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I listen to my body and how it feels. If the idea of going to the gym to jump on the elliptical or popping in a DVD at home makes me want to drive my car off the road, I take the day off.

So long as you're switching it up and your muscles aren't fatigued, I don't see an issue with it. Just my personal opinion, I'm sure there will be many different views on it :)
  • Mandarz
    Mandarz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Its completely fine- it is imporatant when weight lifting to take breaks for the muscles to recover.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Rest. Rest is when results happen. Over these past 6 days you have been creating tears in your muscles and they need time to repair and get stronger/leaner. A nice easy walk is fine so your not losing your mind, but 7 days a week isn't attainable long term, and it doesn't give your body time to heal and get....well...smaller! That is why it's recommended to weigh in after a rest day. Muscles repair and you drop the water weight from the inflammation. Take it easy, and then KILL it tomorrow!:happy:
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It depends on how intense your workout is, you can always walk on a "rest" day. As long as you're mixing it up by cross-training you should be fine!
  • wisechoic
    Options
    I spent years working out every day and had the best body I ever had. If you do weights then work one half of your body one day and the other half the next. So one day work on your legs and the next day your arms. Warm up, then stretch, cool down and stretch again. If it feels good do it.
  • 1sweetpea70
    1sweetpea70 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I workout 7 days a week. I just dont do as much on the weekends as i'd do during the week. I do light weights every other day. I use to work in a gym and my mom was a fitness instructor, so, i learned from her to listen to my body and rest when i need to.
  • my2boiz
    Options
    I always take a day off, but when I do i always seem to put back on the couple pounds I lost during the week. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You want to at least give your body one full day of rest. I work out 5-6 times a week depending on my schedule.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My doctor wants me doing something 7 days a week. As long as you switch up what you're doing, not using the same movements every day, you should be fine to keep going. I find a day off turns into multiple days off in no time. So go with your gut. If you want to exercise, then exercise!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on my body. I continued The Penguin's 100-day challenge last year (move 30 minutes a day for 100 days) through June, and felt great. But during the summer I had a few sick days and took them off.

I honestly try to workout every day, because I usually feel better working out (even if it's just a light workout like a stretch routine on sluggish days). But sometimes I'm not feeling well, and those days I honor my body's need to rest.

I've heard (and adhere to) the idea of giving weight-trained body parts a day of rest before working again. So far it's working.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have worked out every day - most days twice per day - since November. I mix it up - cardio, weights,and I've been fine.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I do most weeks. I do strength training 4 days a week and cardio 7 days a week.
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I truly try to exercise everyday. I have found that when I schedule a "rest day", it turns into two, three, or even four rest days. So I don't schedule them, I just listen to my body and rest when needed. Listen to your body, it will let you know when it needs rest.
  • Pandabug93
    Pandabug93 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What my personal trainer told me to do was 6-7 days of exercise with weight training every other day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!