Running Shoes

Options
I had bought myself some Asics Rush 33 running shoes, and used them today, but I don't think they are right for my foot. They just don't "feel" right, if that makes sense. I have cleaned them up and plan on returning them tomorrow. My feet don't necessarily hurt, but I've only done Day 1 of the C25K in them...they really just don't feet right. Anyways, when I was running, I paid attention to how I was running. It was easier for me to run on my toes, instead of my whole foot, and I noticed the outside of my foot hit first and rolled in. I've considered going to a running store and have them watch me run and such, but the only one near me is 65 miles away and charges $40 to do that (unless I buy shoes there, that are marked up significantly.) I also have low arches/almost flat feet. Based on this, what type of foot does it sound like I have, and what shoes do you recommend I try? I plan on trying on a bunch of different ones tomorrow at the shoe store that I'm returning these ones to, but I'm not sure if they'll let me run in each pair or not.

Replies

• shrdlicka23
    Options
    I have almost flat feet as well and tend to overpronate. Asics rubbed my feet raw in some places. The only athletic shoe I wear are Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11. They are simply the best. They don't have a lot of fancy colors or anything but your feet will feel like they are running on marshmellows. They are also a bit steep in price. Whatever you do, get the 10 or 11 models. The 9's are cheaper but they aren't as comfortable.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you plan on being a legit runner, then you might want to pay the $40 for a good fitting. However, I will tell you that spending money on a good pair of shoes will do wonders.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Get yourself fitted and have your gait analyzed. It will cost you, either directly, or for the premium price you pay for their shoes, but it's worth it!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Get fitted.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    go, get watched, buy your first pair of shoes from them - in the future, you will already know what you need :-)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I had bought myself some Asics Rush 33 running shoes, and used them today, but I don't think they are right for my foot. They just don't "feel" right, if that makes sense. I have cleaned them up and plan on returning them tomorrow. My feet don't necessarily hurt, but I've only done Day 1 of the C25K in them...they really just don't feet right. Anyways, when I was running, I paid attention to how I was running. It was easier for me to run on my toes, instead of my whole foot, and I noticed the outside of my foot hit first and rolled in. I've considered going to a running store and have them watch me run and such, but the only one near me is 65 miles away and charges $40 to do that (unless I buy shoes there, that are marked up significantly.) I also have low arches/almost flat feet. Based on this, what type of foot does it sound like I have, and what shoes do you recommend I try? I plan on trying on a bunch of different ones tomorrow at the shoe store that I'm returning these ones to, but I'm not sure if they'll let me run in each pair or not.

I basically have flat feet, you should try out brooks, in my opinion, they are the best running shoes out there. The model that I buy are Brooks Beast. Regular price on them is around $130 for men's not sure about women's pricing, but you may be able to find last years model online for around a discounted price. My dad turned me onto the Brooks, he was having issues with his legs and someone suggested the Brooks and he has no issues with his legs anymore. They are worth the money. You get what you pay for.
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    It made all the difference for me when I had my feet checked at a running store. I almost quit exercising because I was in such pain before. But now I found out that I overpronate (?), have flat feet, and a bunion. It helped me right shoe for me because I was evaluated. So much more comfortable now. I wear Saucony shoes now.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I called for prices and I just can't get over how high they are. The same Asics I got for $50 are $85 there. There probably is no way to get around it though. Ugh.

I can't just figure out my feet type from researching it and trial and error?
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    I called for prices and I just can't get over how high they are. The same Asics I got for $50 are $85 there. There probably is no way to get around it though. Ugh.

Brooks has a tool on their website to figure it out. It's probably not 100% but will be more accurate than guessing. I say not 100% because you have to enter in the information, but there are diagrams that sort of spell it out to you.
  • Virginia90
    Options

Brooks has a tool on their website to figure it out. It's probably not 100% but will be more accurate than guessing. I say not 100% because you have to enter in the information, but there are diagrams that sort of spell it out to you.

Do you have a link? I'm about 80% sure I overpronate and have flat feet, just based on everything I've read. Based on that I think I need motion control shoes, but I'd like to try that tool too.
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
  • ballerina454
    ballerina454 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you run a little like me. I tried Asics and they are not my favorite, not bad but not my favorite. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11's. I actually just ordered my second pair off sportschalet.com last week for half the normal price. They are the only shoe I want to ever run in :) Hope this helps!
  • ballerina454
    ballerina454 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    After reading everyone's responses it sounds like we have a lot of Brooks fans on here!!! :) They are a really awesome shoe. They have made me really enjoy running.
  • Virginia90
    Options
    Thanks for the link! They recommended the Brooks Addiction 10 shoes. They are "Control" shoes, and I was right about being flat footed and overpronating...The store I went to doesn't have Brooks brand, so I wonder if I should order some online, or find a different brand based on what I know now. Otherwise I'll have to wait until I go to the city (65 miles away) to buy running shoes.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    The markup at the running store will save you pain and suffering down the road. Just go and pay.
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    Thanks for the link! They recommended the Brooks Addiction 10 shoes. They are "Control" shoes, and I was right about being flat footed and overpronating...The store I went to doesn't have Brooks brand, so I wonder if I should order some online, or find a different brand based on what I know now. Otherwise I'll have to wait until I go to the city (65 miles away) to buy running shoes.

I would try that website that the other girl suggested or try www.shoebuy.com. See if you can buy from the brooks website. You may be able to get a 30 day return policy. I thought I saw something like that on there, I might have misread something though. Just in case you get the wrong size
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    So, true. Just think of it as a one time cost. Once you know the proper shoes to wear, you can order them on the Internet for less. It will definitely be worth it. Good luck!
    The markup at the running store will save you pain and suffering down the road. Just go and pay.
  • frac3377
    Options
    If you are planning on running seriously, the money you spend being fitted with the proper shoe will be far less than what you might end up paying in orthopedic surgeon or other doctors.
  • Virginia90
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think we are going to the city on Friday, so I'm going to suck it up, take a few dollars from the emergency fund (because obviously this counts as an emergency LOL) and just do the running store thing and let them fit me. I'll bite the cost now, and save down the road (no pun intended lol)
  • Mrsg711
    Options
    I have bought 2 different pairs of Nike Free Run 2 running shoes in the last couple weeks!!!! I am TOTALLY IN LOVE with them!!! They are the most COMFORTABLE shoe I've ever owned!!! Well worth the price.....prices vary by color and style. I bought mine at FinishLine. Feels like I'm wearing a comfy pair of socks!!!!! Give them a try!!!! :)