Running Shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! They recommended the Brooks Addiction 10 shoes. They are "Control" shoes, and I was right about being flat footed and overpronating...The store I went to doesn't have Brooks brand, so I wonder if I should order some online, or find a different brand based on what I know now. Otherwise I'll have to wait until I go to the city (65 miles away) to buy running shoes.

I would try that website that the other girl suggested or try www.shoebuy.com. See if you can buy from the brooks website. You may be able to get a 30 day return policy. I thought I saw something like that on there, I might have misread something though. Just in case you get the wrong size

http://brookssports.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1 No questions asked 30 day return policy
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Where do you get fitted for running shoes?
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've got Mizuno Wave Alchemy 11s. Felt like I'd been wearing them forever the first day I put them on.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you're going to order online, I suggest looking at one of the following sites:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/ - they have a VIP club that gets you 10% off and free shipping for something around $5. If you're buying shoes, it pays for itself on your first purchase.

http://www.holabirdsports.com/ - generally decent prices, especially in their closeouts.

http://www.eastbay.com/ - again, good prices. Good closeout deals, too.

There's a couple additional ways to tell if you over- or under-pronate. Arch type is a big clue, but you can look at old shoes and see where the wear patterns are as well, it will give you a good idea about your pronation. Check Runner's World, they have videos explaining the difference between over-pronation, under-pronation and normal gait running (I can't find the videos right now and I'm decidedly lazy, so I'll leave it up to you to search if you want). They also have a shoe-finder (http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor). You may want to bounce your results off their site and see what else pops up.

Remember! Each runner is different. Just because other posters love Brooks doesn't mean you will. I've had Brooks, New Balance, Mizuno and Saucony shoes. None were noticeably "bad" (although the NB wore out faster than I wanted them to), but beyond that, I wouldn't say "Go buy this brand!" because what I like, and what works for my foot and my gait may not be perfect for you. Go out to a bigger website than just the Brooks site, read the reviews, make an informed decision. There's still a chance you won't like what you buy, but it will more likely be closer to what you want than blindly picking a shoe.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had bought myself some Asics Rush 33 running shoes, and used them today, but I don't think they are right for my foot. They just don't "feel" right, if that makes sense. I have cleaned them up and plan on returning them tomorrow. My feet don't necessarily hurt, but I've only done Day 1 of the C25K in them...they really just don't feet right. Anyways, when I was running, I paid attention to how I was running. It was easier for me to run on my toes, instead of my whole foot, and I noticed the outside of my foot hit first and rolled in. I've considered going to a running store and have them watch me run and such, but the only one near me is 65 miles away and charges $40 to do that (unless I buy shoes there, that are marked up significantly.) I also have low arches/almost flat feet. Based on this, what type of foot does it sound like I have, and what shoes do you recommend I try? I plan on trying on a bunch of different ones tomorrow at the shoe store that I'm returning these ones to, but I'm not sure if they'll let me run in each pair or not.

I basically have flat feet, you should try out brooks, in my opinion, they are the best running shoes out there. The model that I buy are Brooks Beast. Regular price on them is around $130 for men's not sure about women's pricing, but you may be able to find last years model online for around a discounted price. My dad turned me onto the Brooks, he was having issues with his legs and someone suggested the Brooks and he has no issues with his legs anymore. They are worth the money. You get what you pay for.

I just got fitted- i have good arches but overpronate so I look flat footed-- I got a pair of Brooks ($110) and they made a HUGE difference. Before I had Asics (NO arch support) and I could run 5-5.5 mph TOPS. As soon as I wore the Brooks I could run faster, longer and farther with less shin and knee pain. It's worth it to get fitted. Go to brooks' website and see if there's an authorized dealer around you, chances are they can fit you well even if the shoe is not the Brooks brand.

To me, the health of my joints and the joy I get from running are way worth the expense!

Good luck!
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I called for prices and I just can't get over how high they are. The same Asics I got for $50 are $85 there. There probably is no way to get around it though. Ugh.

I can't just figure out my feet type from researching it and trial and error?

Your shoes are one of the most important pieces of your exercise regime. Therefore it is worth it to pay for shoes that are better for your body and will help prevent injuries than to wear a pair that is more cost effective for your wallet. I can't wait to get back to the States and find a store that can examine the way I walk and find a pair of shoes that are perfect for me.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    So, true. Just think of it as a one time cost. Once you know the proper shoes to wear, you can order them on the Internet for less. It will definitely be worth it. Good luck!
    The markup at the running store will save you pain and suffering down the road. Just go and pay.

You can get fitted at a reputable running store free of charge. They will measure your feet and analyze your gait. They'll allow you to try on as many pair of running shoes and have you run in them outside or on a treadmill. You don't need to pay to get professionally fit for the right shoes for your feet.

However, if you do choose to go to a running store to have it done by a professional, then I encourage you to buy your shoes from them. It would be like not tipping your server at a restaurant if you didn't.

You get what you pay for ... and in this instance, you should pay for what you get.

Most of these running stores are independently owned. They're people who live in your community. They support your local runs for charities in your community. They're often the coaches for TNT. They offer discounts to high school athletes and to running clubs.

If you tap into their professional knowledge, buy your shoes from them. The extra cost is minimal.

And, there are shoes that are "look a likes" to running shoes. They are the "fashion" shoe thus they would be incredibly cheaper. You'll get the real deal at running stores.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Fleet Feet, if you have one near you. Or a local running store.
    Where do you get fitted for running shoes?
  • 64Mustang
    64Mustang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was having shin splintz and knee issues. I went to the local Fitness/Running store and got video taped while running in my shoes. I overpronate and need a "high stability" shoe. I tried on 10 pairs and ran on the store treadmill to get a feel for them. Once I narrowed it down to 2 or 3 based on general comfort I ran in those and got video taped. I ended up with Brooks. Also, normally I wear an 8.5 or 9 in shoes but they said that is way too small for a running shoe. You should be able to play the piano with your toes in the shoes. I ended up with 10.5!!! At first they felt like flippers but now they are fine. I also bought compression sleeves for the shin splintz and they are GONE. I can run with no pain whatsoever.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you plan on running I highly recommend getting your gait analyzed. I kept getting awful shin splints & decided to run through the pain thinking that it was just because I had not worked out in awhile only to end up being sidelined for 5 weeks. I finally decided to stop being stubborn & get my gait analyzed from a running store. I was fitted with some Brooks running shoes and I have not had shin splints since. I do have some minor soreness which is normal but nothing nearly as bad as what I had before. The shoes definitely made the difference. They were a bit pricey ($110) but soooooo worth it!!
  • SerenaNatasha
    Options
    Brooks FTW!!! :-D
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was having shin splintz and knee issues. I went to the local Fitness/Running store and got video taped while running in my shoes. I overpronate and need a "high stability" shoe. I tried on 10 pairs and ran on the store treadmill to get a feel for them. Once I narrowed it down to 2 or 3 based on general comfort I ran in those and got video taped. I ended up with Brooks. Also, normally I wear an 8.5 or 9 in shoes but they said that is way too small for a running shoe. You should be able to play the piano with your toes in the shoes. I ended up with 10.5!!! At first they felt like flippers but now they are fine. I also bought compression sleeves for the shin splintz and they are GONE. I can run with no pain whatsoever.

I just read your post -LOL !
    We must have been typing at the same time. Pretty similar shin splint stories :)
  • laurajplus4
    laurajplus4 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So, true. Just think of it as a one time cost. Once you know the proper shoes to wear, you can order them on the Internet for less. It will definitely be worth it. Good luck!
    The markup at the running store will save you pain and suffering down the road. Just go and pay.

You can get fitted at a reputable running store free of charge. They will measure your feet and analyze your gait. They'll allow you to try on as many pair of running shoes and have you run in them outside or on a treadmill. You don't need to pay to get professionally fit for the right shoes for your feet.

However, if you do choose to go to a running store to have it done by a professional, then I encourage you to buy your shoes from them. It would be like not tipping your server at a restaurant if you didn't.

You get what you pay for ... and in this instance, you should pay for what you get.

Most of these running stores are independently owned. They're people who live in your community. They support your local runs for charities in your community. They're often the coaches for TNT. They offer discounts to high school athletes and to running clubs.

If you tap into their professional knowledge, buy your shoes from them. The extra cost is minimal.

And, there are shoes that are "look a likes" to running shoes. They are the "fashion" shoe thus they would be incredibly cheaper. You'll get the real deal at running stores.

I have to agree with this. I was fitted at a local (about 45 miles away) runnng store. It was small, independantly owned, and I did not pay for the ananlysis. They didn't even ask if I planned on buying from them...but I did. And honestly, the prices were no different that what I found online for the specific shoe.

I think it's totally worthe the trip, time and $$. Keep in mind, if you are using them often, they will need replacing much more frequently than your *street sneakers*.

Good Luck!
  • athensguy
    Options
    I have gone the opposite route from many people, and I run in shoes with no support of any kind that have a zero heel to toe drop.

My favorites are from Soft Star Shoes (RunAmoc Dash), and I also have some of the Vibram FiveFingers toe shoes that I like.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if Academy Sports does the gait tests?
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if Academy Sports does the gait tests?

They're a big box, so I doubt it, but it may be worth a call to see if they have anyone who knows what they're talking about (you really want someone who knows what they're looking at if you're going to have someone evaluate you).

You could also check your local gym or see if there's a local running club, they may be able to help, too.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    We live in a pretty rural area. The closest city is Springfield, MO, and it's about 65 miles away. I don't even know what to search for in regards for finding a store that will evaluate me for free. The Starting Block is the one that I know will evaluate me, but charge a lot for it.

ETA: Oh, and they say "free analysis" in their commercial, but when I called them they said it was free with a shoe purchase. Lol
  • MichelePA
    Options
    Getting fitted for the proper shoe is extremely important and yes working with a small independent store as recommended by others is my suggestion as well. Start by googling local running clubs, local races and see what you can find near you even if it is in the bigger city. Look at your shoes as an investment in YOU... and once you find a pair then you can get them at a lesser cost perhaps for the next pair.

I alternate between a brooks and a saucony shoe and have just started running in a Muzino (which I LOVE thus far) I usually have 2-3 pairs going at one time between my training and racing and it is important to keep track as to how many miles you keep on your shoes. Good Luck and Happy RUNNING!
  • My first pair of running shoes were fitted. The place where I got them from didn't charge me, they just asked me to walk up and down a little path so they could see how I walk, and my shoes are great!

Having fitted shoes is definitely something that benefits you, because they work for the way you walk and run, not for the size of your feet.