No carbs after ???

Options
So i keep hearing people say I should not eat carbs after a certain time....(and get different times) -_- Well, I do my workouts at night...between 8-11pm depending on life lol. I try to eat either before or right after my first workout. But never later than 8-9 ish since I also like to wait for the hubby to come home to eat.

My question is, what do I eat after my workout...protein shake??

is it bad that I eat around 8-9 sometimes??? my meal (dinner) does always include some sort of starch whether its rice, quinoa potatoes etc.

Im confused because I've heard people say that it doesnt matter how late you eat long as you stop the carbs 2 hours b4 bedtime.

My bedtime is usually AFTER midnight or around midnight few times.

INPUT?

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Everyone is different. Do what you feel is what you need. I eat carbs whenever I want. Body keeps working even when your asleep. Calories in and calories out.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Myth. Eating carbs at night has no difference to eating them in the morning. You're fine. It's just one of those health myths that half the world seems to believe. Doesn't help that the media has circulated it around for the past decade.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Do what you feel is what you need. I eat carbs whenever I want. Body keeps working even when your asleep. Calories in and calories out.
    Everyone is not different. Calories in vs calories out. It doesn't matter when you eat carbs. This really needs to die.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    you're dead?
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It does not matter how late you eat carbs, the nation needs to get over the carb fear... your getting your workout in when you can do it and eating to fuel your body is the right thing to do:) keep it up! Trying to put a time on when to stop eating (as long as your within your goal if weight loss is your goal) and especially a time to stop eating carbs is ludicrous and asinine...=my two cents:) Stayin up for just a bit after eating a meal is probably better than eating and crashing but... Im not a nutritionist or a doc:)
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If your intake is less than your calorie expenditure, you lose weight. All the admonitions about when to eat what are superstitions created by people who need an explanation of why they aren't losing weight. :bigsmile:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    No carbs after..... I die! :tongue:
  • 10_M
    10_M Posts: 22
    Options
    The best thing you can do is eat a combination of protein and carbs. Protein helps repair tissue damage, and carbohydrates are needed to replenish muscle glycogen stores (fuel for muslce contraction). Think about it this way, after a long drive you take your car to the repair shop, but not the gas station? What good is the car if it has no gas? :P
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Eating, for at least an hour.

No wait, that's swimming.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Im confused because I've heard people say that it doesnt matter how late you eat long as you stop the carbs 2 hours b4 bedtime.

These people are wrong. Eat any time. Eat carbs any time.

The only exception is if eating late disrupts your sleep or something like that. Diet-wise, it's irrelevant.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I don't eat carbs between 11:43 AM and 11:44 AM. Other than that its fair game.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I was reading in a Jillian Michaels book no carbs after 7pm, hope this helps
  • angbak60
    angbak60 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't eat carbs between 11:43 AM and 11:44 AM. Other than that its fair game.

LOL! too funny!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It doesn't.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them after bedtime. Don't want to choke in my sleep.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

More proof that Jillian is a blithering idiot.
  • DaniGirard
    Options
    I try not to eat carbs after 7pm but that is because my day starts at 5am and I'm in bed by 9pm....so for your personal "time" it depends 1st on your body clock and 2 on the type of carb along with the amount of physical activity you had that day....for me Carbs are better in the early part of your day when you have the time to burn them up :smile:
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat carbs after 7pm but that is because my day starts at 5am and I'm in bed by 9pm....so for your personal "time" it depends 1st on your body clock and 2 on the type of carb along with the amount of physical activity you had that day....for me Carbs are better in the early part of your day when you have the time to burn them up :smile:

Myth
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a strategy to get people to eat less.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

You "burn them up" 24/7 so feel free to eat them whenever you'd like.