Apples

Options
2»

Replies

• heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    honeycrisp and fuji - the mushy texture of other varieties is off-putting (only in baking, plz), but those two are nice and crisp.
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I will have to try the honeycrisps. Sounds so yummy! I like Fuji, Gala, and Pink Lady apples. Granny Smiths are great for baking!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Is Pink Lady in season year round? I am going to try one tomorrow!!

I always get them from target because they sell those mesh bags of them. lol
  • bstoetzer
    Options
    My favs are empire and gala.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    This is me exactly! My kids really like green apples so I have those on occasion.
    I usually have Gala or Fuji b/c I like sweet & crisp apples and one or the other is usually on sale at our local grocery store. Honeycrisp is good too but they are usually twice as much $.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    oh granny smith apples are good for tuna/chicken salad.
  • smadrigal04
    Options
    Grapple! I love them! Tastes like grapes and apples!
  • bp1984
    bp1984 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon applesauce.... duh! :)
  • blackberrypie
    Options
    Living in WA.. I can't choose my favorite. As long as its fresh and local.. I'm game! :)
  • Russian1
    Russian1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ambrosia! They can be tough to find so I will settle for Gala if I have to.... :happy:
  • Noadi
    Noadi Posts: 27
    Options
    I like more tart apples like McIntosh and Cortland rather than sweeter apples. I like things with a bit of sour to them, it explains my pickle obsession too.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Gala's are my fav! Braeburn & honeycrisps are good too. I <3 apples!!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ambrosia

Since I tried them, I am not going back to any other kind
    The best ones have more yellow than red and are not sold prepackaged :)

I also like the fresh lobo very much but can not find them around here
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Big apple fan here....but I do love the good ol' MacIntosh
  • crymzen
    crymzen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I loved following this thread. I grew up on an apple orchard and have continued to work on the family farm as an adult. I especially loved to see the comments of people's favorite varieties because we grow most of them. I'm impressed that so many people are even aware of the different varieties. :smile: I've notices over the years that many people have no idea where their food comes from. Not to be all preachy but if you don't know what's in your food or where it comes from it's easy to form poor eating habits which leads to weight gain.

I have to admit I've never met an apple I didn't like and I tend to use different varieties for different purposes. Tart apples like McIntosh, Granny Smith, Cortland, Pink Ladies are delicious and the retain their flavor better when cooked (but are also crisp and delicious raw). Fuji, Gala, Honeycrisp are also wonderful sweet apples & can be quite large (especially Honeycrisp) but what some don't realize is that they can have a higher calories content due to sugars and sheer size of apples. I saw that someone mentioned the Empire which I think is a wonderful variety (cross between a Red Delicious and McIntosh). We don't grow Jazz apples but I enjoy them because of their flavor and crunch.

One last little bit of advice and then I promise to get off my soap box...err...apple box :laugh: Consider buying your produce directly from a grower. Farmers Markets, food co-ops and CSA (Community Sustainable Agriculture) are great ways to find local growers. Usually the food is cheaper, fresher and your are supporting a local business.

Remember "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." :happy: