ladies- gym apparel advice required PLEASE!? :)

Options
this may sound like a really stupid question but...

I'm joining the gym very soon, never been before, what the hell do i wear?

what trainers are good, would leggins be more comfortable, do i need a sports bra or a HRM??

whats your experience ladies?

Replies

• GothicAngel87
    Options
    Hey

Trainers tracksuit bottoms - long or short down to u. vest top i usually go for....... Basically whatever makes u feel comfortable!!!!

Ohhh and do remember a good sports bra!!!!
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I just wear a comfy t-shirt and some joggers.. but you see people in there dressed in anything, from looking like they've just finished work and have come in a shirt and trousers, some that look like they're wearing PJ's and then some people who look like they're taking part in the 2012 olympics.

I would recommend a sports bra if your doing things like treadmill and other "bouncy" activities, otherwise just see how you go as you might not need one.

And as for trainers, wear whatever you're comfortable in, it doesn't make a huge difference unless you want to start jogging (if this is the case then go to a proper sports shoes shop and get fitted properly)

And as for the HRM, I don't use one but I know plenty of people on MFP who do and it gives them an accurate reading, but they can be pretty pricey.

Hope this helps!
  • GothicAngel87
    Options
    Hey

Just wear clothes that u feel comfortable in. I usually just wear tracksuit bottoms and a vest top with trainers!!

Make sure u got a decent pair of trainers thou... i once got a pair and they were crap!!! the support was terrible!!!

Oh and a MUST is a good sports bra!!!

Add me if u want

x
  • janessac
    Options
    Good set of runners, if you get hot easily then shorts or capris that wick moisture (and won't show swass lol) are good, a supportive sports bra (ie: lululemon, nike, or Champion), and a comfortable shirt (I wear a lululemon short sleeve shirt that's slightly loose fitting, so it doesn't cling but also doesn't hang off me when I move). Also make sure you have comfy ankle socks, blisters are NOT pleasant. I don't use a HRM, but I do wear a watch and I check my pulse before, halfway through, and after my cardio just for a general idea. Hope this helps :smile: Have fun!

Edit: Some good runners are Saucony, which have nice arch support, Nikes (Nike Livestrong are fantastaic, I have a pair and LOVE them), and Asics are an all-around shoe as well. Depends on what kind of exercise you do and what your price range is :)
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I wear 3/4 bottoms and a vest top, a sports bar and trainers with good sports ankle socks. Dont just go out and buy trainers, go to a speciality sports shop and get properly fitted!!! I did'nt do that and ended up with all sorts of problems (and I was wearing asics)! I now have trainers that suite me (also asics, but the ones I actually needed). and I'm having orthotics made as well (not nessisary for most people). I also have an HRM, Polar FT4 for gym and Swimovate poolmate for the pool. Some HRM's can be expensive, but if you shop arround, you can find some fantastic deals I find knowing my calorie burn helps me keep motivated and in control of my eating. Gym is great! I truelly enjoy it, especially when I dont want to go but do anyway. I feel so proud of myself afterwards.:blushing:
  • dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options
    gym is great and this comes from someone over a year ago would never have thought i would enjoy but i made the decision and havent looked back. i wear a vest, 3/4 leggins and good trainers - yes go get fitted very important. i dont use a hrm. just go and have fun i dont think anyone goes to gym as a fashion statement just be comfy
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Get:

- good runners. I have Asics Cumulus as I have ankle/foot/knee issues. A good quality pair of runners are ESSENTIAL

- good sports bra. I have 2, one in the wash, one to use. I run so a good supportive one is essential also

- I wear Nike dry fit leggings and 3/4 length leggings also

- top-wise: I try to get loose fitting gym tops as my tummy is my worse area and why oh why do companies not realise this and make more loose fitting/funky gym tops?????? I have 2 fab Puma gym tops that I rotate.

- I have a HRM also but it's not essential. I like numbers so I like knowing how many cals I burnt.

- I use twin skin socks for the gym also as the soles of my feet tend to get sore for some bizarre reason as these socks are a double layer (expenvise to buy though)

- have grip pad for weights also as I was getting calluses on my hands. you won't need these unless you are going to lifting serious weights.

That's my gym clothes/gear! HTH
  • tiggerdug
    tiggerdug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    most important thing is to be comphy, and a good sports bra, the rest is what you feel comfotable. The best thing to splash out on is good trainer, asics are good, but look for them in the sales. Cheep trainers are a faules ecomomy, I leaned this, im a uk 4 and was chuffed i could get into kids trainers for cheeper, there was no suppport and I hurt my legs.

I like a sports top like addidas as there nice and long, the clima wear ones, with a baggy cotton t to cover me up.

One tip id give is dont get grey bottoms, I got grey trackies and affter a good session on the bike i had big sweaty bum marks :ohwell:

happy shopping xx
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining the gym! I joined about a month ago and love it! (most of the time ; )

Wear whatever makes you comfortable. As people have mentioned you'll see all kinds of outfits when you're there. Get some joggers (or legging) and a comfy t-shirt or vest top. Definitely get a sports bra and I would get specific sports socks so your feet don't get uncomfortably hot! x
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    thank you so much ladies! sports bras ahoy!

have any of you tried those toning trainers? if they are doing good things with you barely noticing them it seems like a goof investment!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options

have any of you tried those toning trainers? if they are doing good things with you barely noticing them it seems like a goof investment!

personally, I wouldn't bother with gimmicy things like this. I would just stick with a good plain oul pair of runners. I paid 100 euro for mine, they are sooooo cushioned and supportive and comfy. Worth the money.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Clothes:
    I wear either cropped leggings, cropped lose pants or shorts, a sports bra(if I'm weight lifting) and a loose under armor top.

Shoes:
    I'm a big Nike Fan and I don't run, so it doesn't matter much what shoe I wear. I have two pairs of Nike Shoxx and one pair of just plain black Nike trainers.

HRM:
    Not a necessity, but they are nice. I have a Polar FT60 which I like a lot... Easy to use, shows me what zone I'm in and is pretty spot on as calorie estimations are concerned.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am a bit of a sweaty betty so for me it is essential to wear technical clothing that wicks the sweat away - and NOT cotton. I know it sounds a bit silly but I would invest in some knickers that aren't going to shift around and annoy you - there is nothing more irritating!!!

If you are in the UK then you can pick up a HRM from Argos for £30 - it has done me fine :)
  • curvatrino
    curvatrino Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have those toning trainers, the reebok ones. I don't notice a difference, and they are heavy, but they are comfy. I do some light running, and weights, and I haven't had any discomfort while running, but I can't say I've notice any extra toning. I only got them cos they were cheap from Ebay and I love reebok trainers for the wide fit.

Otherwise in the gym I wear shorts, and a vest, good running socks. Light impact sports bra, with push up bra underneath, because I coudn't find a sports bra that I liked, but I get a good level of support that way.

Hope you have fun at the gym! I love it there, and I go every morning now :)