Floating poop leads to weight loss

Options
From article: Dr. Oz was once again on Oprah this week. As usual, he had a ton of new and interesting, traditionally gross-ish research to share. Floating poop ranks right up there in all three categories.

Recently a study was conducted where the subjects were placed on a highly controlled yet moderate diet, which was low in calcium for one week. At the end of the week, each subject 'contributed' some doo in a jar as their sample to be analyzed. (Imagine doing that!) The next week, subjects were placed on the exact diet except this time tweaked it to provide the subjects with 1200 mg of calcium each day, which is ideal for adults. At the end of the week, once again they had the pleasure of providing a sample.

The poo samples were frozen, dried, turned into a pill, and then crushed (hate to be that scientist). The samples were then analyzed. The study showed that by the end of week two, the high calcium week...the subjects samples contained 100% more fat than the previous week. Which means, calcium is an excellent transporter of fat. Ideally, we'd prefer to expel the fat we consume rather than absorb it. This in the long run, will help lead to weight loss.

Dr. Oz recommends low fat dairy products and/or calcium supplements to achieve the desired 1200 mg of calcium recommended daily. Oh! And about the floating poop thing...poop carrying fat will float. Poop that sinks does not. Won't it be fun for you to keep tabs on that?
http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/09/20/floating-poop-leads-to-weight-loss/

:huh: Had to post this topic because the headline was so funny to me. But what do you think of the findings?

Replies

• JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have actually heard that if your poop floats it means you are having a healthy movement. I don't really know much about Dr Oz, I haven't heard the greatest things about him. I think I will pick up some calcium supplements though. Thanks for the info.
  • MJBez
    MJBez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Haha this is hilarious! Yet interesting... hmm you will have everyone looking at their poop for sure! :laugh: Everyone get lots of calcium! Happy poopin :tongue:
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! (Maybe not the poop part) but it definitely gives me more motivation to make sure I get my recommended allotment of calcium. Does this include supplements, because I hate milk!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I think I'll add calcium to my list of macros to track.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    What if it goes 'clink?'
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I think poop is an excellent way to chart your health. I had a girl tell me once that she NEVER looks at her poop. Come on - seriously? How can you not!? It is like your body's diary!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Regardless, women need calcium. It's important for bone health. So it isn't a bad suggestion. I eat at least 2 servings of low fat dairy a day, and it hasn't given me this result :(
  • liljoli
    liljoli Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    this is gross but my husband and I have actually had this conversation. He is skinny and doesn't have to work for it at all. I work at it and struggle with my weight. The floating thing explains a few of our thoughts actually. Thanks for the nasty but interesting info.
  • liljoli
    liljoli Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ha! love your pic!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I just set my macros to show calcium and MFP only sets it at 100.

I guess I should change it to 1200.
  • krunchykat
    krunchykat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Floating poop is one of the biggest early warning signs of pancreatic cancer. It is also a sign of gallbladder disease. I had my gallbladder removed 6 years ago and my inability to properly digest all of the fat I consume did not help me lose even an ounce of weight. To make much of a difference it's gonna have to be drastic, like taking Alli or something. Then you have to worry about pooping yourself and anal leakage. Ewwww.
  • nuttyengineer
    nuttyengineer Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just set my macros to show calcium and MFP only sets it at 100.

I guess I should change it to 1200.

I would probably be careful about that. I think that the 100 is actually referring to a percentage of a recommended amount and not the actual amount. I have no idea how you would figure out what the amount is, though.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's gas that makes faeces float not fat content.

It is true that an increase in dairy/calcium can reduce fat absorbtion though.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Interesting and a bit funny actually to read.

I've never heard this before so will look into it but the thing my doctors have told me is about the colour.
    Before I had my gall bladder out on the bad days it was yellowish,apparently that means my body wasn't processing the fats properly. Should be a dark healthy brown. Yellow bad, brown good.
    Can't believe I'm talking about this but like someone else said it's our body's diary.
    It's good to be aware.
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Floating poop is one of the biggest early warning signs of pancreatic cancer. It is also a sign of gallbladder disease. I had my gallbladder removed 6 years ago and my inability to properly digest all of the fat I consume did not help me lose even an ounce of weight. To make much of a difference it's gonna have to be drastic, like taking Alli or something. Then you have to worry about pooping yourself and anal leakage. Ewwww.

I had my and emergency gallbladder removal, it was so full of stones that it was expelling them into other parts of my body, and I lost about 60lbs in 6 months because of it. My poop didn't float, in fact it was generally diarreah. I have never heard that, not saying it's not true, but it's definitely not true in all cases.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    OMG!.. lol!.. I've noticed mine just sink right to the bottom for a while since I have been very low carb/low fat/gluten free etc.

Talking about dairy.. there was a program on here (UK) the other night saying how good milk is for you, a small glass had same potassium level as 41 bananas or something and they had these rugby players doing exercise then after half drank milk and half drank energy drinks. The half the drank milk.. their muscles recovered quicker and they proved this by some scientific test. . think it was something in the blood they were looking for.

Also saying things like how 6 slices of white bread had same salt in as a packet of crisps and stuff that really surprised me.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic to say the least (glad I've already eaten lunch).

I've also heard that the darker your urine the more dehydrated you are - and you need to drink more water. "Healthy" urine should be only very faint yellow.
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    lmao.. wow!!!
  • wvbuckeye
    Options
    I just assumed the lil fellows had life vests on...hmmm. I guess I need to boost my calcium a lil bit more. Thanks for the info, I will def. keep track of this now.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    What if it goes 'clink?'

You may want to have that checked. :sick: