Water fasting

Options
13»

Replies

• offutt100kelly
    offutt100kelly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Exactly... its a way to regain control. I chose to do a juice fast (sipped on 100% juice drinks equalling 400 calories/day and eight glasses of water/day) for two days. It helped me get over my sugar cravings. I guess I used fasting as more of a detox.

If someone is opting to fast to lose weight they would need a plan to reintroduce food and exercise back into their life to keep their weight down.

Check out this blog http://www.youtube.com/user/fastingforweightloss or fastforweightloss.com. She did a 40 day water fast and talks about how she felt weak, foggy, and tired along the way. She maintains her weight with intermediate water fasting.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    yesterday was ash wednesday so i did a liquid fast. i also do this every wednesday of lent. i refrain from solid food, but consume 700 calories from v8, milk and soup broth. since it is spiritual in nature, i feel it brings me alot of clarity and i feel amazing today. it takes a lot of willpower to make food for others and watch them eat when you can not partake and are hungry. i do caution you to ease into a fasting of this nature or have a higher purpose than just weight loss to keep you focused.
  • hauntgoddess
    hauntgoddess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I fast 2 days a week/24 hours. I have been able train harder, and have seen results in inches/weight lost. I continue a regular diet all other days, and enjoy the 24 hour fasting breaks...just think of all the money you save on food when you don't eat as much :) Plus you can get so much more done in the day when you are not obsessing when you are going to eat. I eat everyday even though I fast, like 11 am Friday to 11 am Saturday, so I never go a day without eating.

The fasts are not depleting everything, as you are allowed black coffee, water, and green tea(you have to stay hydrated!) I have found that you burn more calories (and lose weight easier) when you workout coming off a fast. I don't feel dizzy, and am actually more focused.

Of course this is not for everyone, so before you slam it try it out. If your body doesn't like it, don't stick with it!
  • Ady0092
    Options
    I liked Fasting!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    yes, the intermittent fasts benefit your health.
    Some fast daily - eg they stop eating at 8pm the night before and don't eat again until 12 noon the next day making that a 16 hr fast. So they have shortened their eating window from 12-8pm.
    There is also alternate day fasting (ADF) where you eat one day, don't eat the next, repeat.
    Others just do a full 24hr fast one or two times per week.
    Some do the fast after a cheat day.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I guess for a few days is okay. However you'll feel soooo weak!
    I'd prefer to just eat fruit and veggies only.

A lot of religious folk fast for weeks on end?
    I know a few christians who regularly partake in fasting, where they go 1 week without any kinda of food so they are more spiritually with god? Or something like that...
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I guess for a few days is okay. However you'll feel soooo weak!
    I'd prefer to just eat fruit and veggies only.

A lot of religious folk fast for weeks on end?
    I know a few christians who regularly partake in fasting, where they go 1 week without any kinda of food so they are more spiritually with god? Or something like that...

You don't feel weak at all doing 16hr or 24hr fasts.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    couple of months ago i hit a huge plateaux for about 2 months! i didnt know what to do, untill my nan told me to do a water fast for 1 day. soo i didnt eat anything from saturday evening all the way through to monday morning, i drank 27 cups of water. and then the following sunday when it was my next weigh in, i lost 3lbs! and the weight has stayed off !:happy: i then went back to my usual 1400 cals a day and i havent hit a plateaux since! =)

People have different opinions on water fasting, but it worked perfectly for me! So i know from now on, if i hit another platuex before i reach my goal weight i can do the water fasting! =D
  • suziecue66
    Options
    couple of months ago i hit a huge plateaux for about 2 months! i didnt know what to do, untill my nan told me to do a water fast for 1 day. soo i didnt eat anything from saturday evening all the way through to monday morning, i drank 27 cups of water. and then the following sunday when it was my next weigh in, i lost 3lbs! and the weight has stayed off !:happy: i then went back to my usual 1400 cals a day and i havent hit a plateaux since! =)

People have different opinions on water fasting, but it worked perfectly for me! So i know from now on, if i hit another platuex before i reach my goal weight i can do the water fasting! =D

That's great. Funny that your nan told you to fast - does she fast herself or has she ever?
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I heard it gives the body time to clean dead cells instead of processing calories.
    This is so untrue. Matter in the bowel can go really nuts and if thgere's nothing moving through it it really does the opposite of cleansing. There's nothing healthy about it, you might feel like it could be doing you good because when you've been starving for about 3 days your body has like a kick of serotinin or some kind of hormone, it's not healthjy though. It is a bad bad bad idea, especaially because before you even realise that it could be a problem you could have developed an eating disorder which is quite possibly the worst fate imaginable.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options

That's great. Funny that your nan told you to fast - does she fast herself or has she ever?

LOL no! :laugh: but she used to be a dietician back in her younger days =) soo she gives me all sorts of tips n tricks for weightloss :drinker:
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I heard it gives the body time to clean dead cells instead of processing calories.
    This is so untrue. Matter in the bowel can go really nuts and if thgere's nothing moving through it it really does the opposite of cleansing. There's nothing healthy about it, you might feel like it could be doing you good because when you've been starving for about 3 days your body has like a kick of serotinin or some kind of hormone, it's not healthjy though. It is a bad bad bad idea, especaially because before you even realise that it could be a problem you could have developed an eating disorder which is quite possibly the worst fate imaginable.

The 16hr or 24hr fasts are very beneficial.
  • suziecue66
    Options

LOL no! :laugh: but she used to be a dietician back in her younger days =) soo she gives me all sorts of tips n tricks for weightloss :drinker:

That's interesting. Thanks for that.