Nutritional Facts...I read 'em

Options
2»

Replies

• VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I like this thread so my "I'm binging out" meal at in-n-out (which I get 1 a year or less cause I don't live in CA anymore)

animal style fries, cheese burger with onion, and a chocolate shake
    1730 calories, 125 colesteral, 2455 sodium

My "I want a treat but not too crazy"

fries and a shake
    985 cal, 15 col, 595 sodium

So when I think I'm "being good" I'm still eating more than 1/2 my calories for the day in one snack
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I like this thread so my "I'm binging out" meal at in-n-out (which I get 1 a year or less cause I don't live in CA anymore)

fries and a shake

So when I think I'm "being good" I'm still eating more than 1/2 my calories for the day in one snack

mm, in-n-out
  • liha0808
    liha0808 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat out also, but when I do, choose a sit down place with salads and grilled chicken or fish.
    I don't trust fast food on so many levels! Its a personal thing. Many employ teens and I don't care for them preparing and handling my food. With the crazy stuff in this world and the people in it and some of the things people do, fast food is a perfect venue for crazy antics! LOL But for what its worth-

McDonalds Grilled Chicken Salad 190 cals / 70 chol / 580 sodium
    Newmans Ceasar 190 cals/ 20 chol / 500 sodium
    (go with vinegarette for 40 cals)
    TOTAL 380 cals/ 90 chol / 1080 sodium (this is with NO croutons, closer to 500 cals with croutons)
    You can do better with chol/sodium at a salad bar you can control or by ordering grilled fish/chicken and steamed veggies
  • clewis628
    clewis628 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did that last week. We have a local chain restaurant (the 99) and it's standard "American" cuisine. They have some really good stuff and I looked at the NI before heading out to celebrate my daughter's birthday. I was shocked at the numbers I saw! I ended up just getting some french onion soup because I knew it would fill me up and not be THAT bad. Fast food is out for me now because of a recent issue that had me in the hospital. So now when I smell the deliciousness of McDonalds, I just think of the excruciating pain I had. Makes me lose my appetite instantly!
  • leedowhey
    leedowhey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My favourite meal was from wendy's

spicy chicken sandwich, medium cut fries, 2 things of may, a medium sprite, and a large chocolate frosty to finish off...

2130 calories, 70g's of fat, and 2035mg of sodium

wow... never again..

I don't even have 2100 calories on a normal day now..
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    My favourite meal was from wendy's

spicy chicken sandwich, medium cut fries, 2 things of may, a medium sprite, and a large chocolate frosty to finish off...

2130 calories, 70g's of fat, and 2035mg of sodium

wow... never again..

I don't even have 2100 calories on a normal day now..
    holy crap! I used to do that too, but with a small frosty and no soda, still that's nuts!
  • kriggs1976
    Options

fries and a shake

I have heard how good they are, and one is opening near me within the month :) I might try it one time
  • kriggs1976
    Options
    This really makes you conscience of what we all put in our bodies.

Reality stinks :( But look how much better we all feel and look! It is worth it!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Kriggs- definitely try in-n-out! If you don't get a shake/soda, they aren't TOO terrible as far as burgers go...it's once you add "animal style" that things get crazy
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    This really makes you conscience of what we all put in our bodies.

Reality stinks :( But look how much better we all feel and look! It is worth it!

reality is great! it's the ignorance/naivete of it that leads to bad
  • jared767
    Options
    I used to have the worst cravings and would eat fast food at least once, sometimes twice a day - before MFP.

Now there are still times I want a burger and fries for my lunch at work. But I have found something that works for me, so I figured it might work for someone else out there too.

I look up the nutritional information. And after I do, I do not want it anymore.
    Like today I was thinking about just going to McDonald's and getting a meal...Not anymore.

This is what I would have had:

Big Mac - 540 calories, 75mg cholesterol, 1040 sodium
    Large Fry - 500 calories, 0 cholesterol, 350 sodium
    Medium Sweet Tea - 180 calories, 0 cholesterol, 10 sodium

TOTALING: 1220 calories, 75mg cholesterol, 1400 sodium

Now I know I could go to McDonald's and get a salad...but in all honesty I am not strong enough for that yet. If I go to McDonald's I am getting a burger.

So, I encourage you to try it and post your favorite meal. Whether it be at your favorite local restaurant or dive, look it up and see how many calories, cholesterol, and sodium you are taking in.

That's a good step and it's actually very encouraging. I've been doing the same thing whenever I'm out with my family. But what I do is plan my meal ahead. I use this nutrition calculator which has a list of about a hundred restaurants loaded with different foods they serve. I build my meal from there, adding ingredients and taking out something if the nutrition calculator is showing some bad numbers.

I just don't know how to insert a link here but if you want to check it out, you can go to www.nutritionix.com
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    HOLY CRAP NUGGET! I just looked up the bacon ultimate cheeseburger from Jack in the Box (I used to the a double) and the "normal" one is 920 calories....that is CRAZY! nevermind adding fries and/or a shake!
  • Anisima
    Options
    My cousin with similar problems told me that he found on http://cholesterol-lower.info/ the help for his problems.I heard the tips from here are very goo to combat cholesterol problems.
    I hope this helps.