Have you had success using the elliptical?

Options
I would like to hear about your success using the elliptical in your cardio routine. I understand the importance of proper nutrition and a caloric deficit however I have always wondered about the effectiveness of exercising on the elliptical. I personally enjoy the elliptical but I know it's not as difficult as the stairmaster or treadmill. My routine includes running, walking, using the elliptical, riding the bike, strength training, and the stairmaster.

I'm looking for stories and stats supporting successful weight loss using the elliptical please!

Replies

• dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out all I did was the ellliptical, I would do some strength training, and core workouts but for cardio I was all about the elliptical. I would do 30 minutes, 3-4 times a week. In 8 weeks I lost 15 pounds, however, that 15 pounds was not just exercise that was eating alot healthier. My best friend graduated with a degree in nutrition and fitness, she measured me before I began this journey and I measured myself when I lost about 20-25 pounds. I lost a lot of inches everywhere, and not only do I lose inches I was tone as well. I love the elliptical and if I didn't see results when I first began I probably would have stopped. I also would see improvement on my distance in 30 minutes so I had farther proof that it was working. I now do 50-60 minutes of cardio 5 days a week which includes 30 minutes on the elliptical and a 20-30 minute run. The elliptical is always included in my workout and I have seen the best results, 56 pounds lighter, 4 pant sizes smaller, and tone.

I hope this helps to answer your question :)
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical machine. I lost my first 30 lbs soley on the elliptical machine. I started off at 25 minutes and then increased to 30 to finally about an hour. Then I started weight lifting but always started or ended with the elleiptical machine. My fiance lost 30 lbs as well and she was doing nothing but the ellipitcal and then she lost anotehr 10 doing strength training but also doing the ellipitcal. For me it feels great to be on it and really feels like i'm doing something for myself. I personally have reccomended it to friends who were starting off and it's worked for them as well. Of course eating healthy meals help tremendously :)
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical machine. It's how I do my cardio since my knees and ankles get sore from running. I would totally recommend trying it!!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You all make me want to dust off my elliptical and go back to it! I gave it up do to my ankle and feet.

I am having trouble with the tendons on the top of my feet--kind of where you tie your sneakers. Do you think this is from overuse of my elliptical? I am not sure if it was going from zero to full out working out or walking hills after not working out....

I am trying to avoid getting hurt!!!
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was using my treadmill almost daily and noticed that my legs were bulking up a little. I've been on the elliptical for a couple of weeks and I'm loving it! I seem to burn more calories on the elliptical. I think I need to start mixing it up more. It's really good to do different activities.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The Elliptical is the best! I have arthritis in my right knee, and this allows me to work out will NO PAIN. Well..I feel the burn...but it is a good one. I have being loosing inches like crazy.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I started on the elliptical. I lost my first 10-15lbs on it... I got bored though and switched it up.
  • SerenityGelsinger
    SerenityGelsinger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Before I had my son I lost thirty pounds by exercising on the elliptical. I could only do five minutes when I started so I did five minutes in the morning and five minutes in the evening. Eventually I got up to 45 minutes at once. My only warning is keep a close eye on your knees - while it's low impact it's still a little stressful on them, at least in my opinion. I do also have bad joints.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    It kills my knees so I've been using the treadmill, but maybe I should try the eliptical out again!
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical machine. It's how I do my cardio since my knees and ankles get sore from running. I would totally recommend trying it!!

you just convinced me! i have a bad knee and ankles too, and was wondering what i should do to get more cardio in :smile:
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I hurt my back in August of 2010 which left me with a bulging disc. Several doctors told me that running was outta the question for me, as the impact would cause me a lotta pain. They were right.

I had to find another exercise to try, and figured I'd give the elliptical machine a shot. It took a few tries to get used to it (for some reason, my knees were really sore and tired almost immediately upon starting), but once I did, I came to really like it. Even though my back is better now (I'll never be 100%, but at least I can run again), I still make the elliptical part of my regular routine.

And as far as results go, with the elliptical being about 90% of my cardio, I dropped over 25 pounds in three months late last year.

Good luck! :)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me to use an eliptical over the tread mill.........it saves the knees.........He said not to pound with your knees, so for me, along with an old torn ACS knee, its been awesome

also, I get my heart rate up by increasing the resistance and the level.....I do use the tread mill on occassion, but the eliptical has done a great job on my weigh loss........just increase the angle and increase the resistance as you get more used to it.........goog luck
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I tend to think the elliptical is the "easy" way out for me because I detest running. So I force myself to run a mile before I settle into the elliptical for my 40 minutes everyday. Running is just way harder - can't breathe, clumsy, and slow, plus my knees and ankles hurt when I run outside.

I will say that any exercise you do is movement, and there is nothing wrong with that. I stick with the elliptical because I know I am burning calories and its not so exhausting that I quit after ten minutes. I do challenge myself and do different resistance levels and try to keep my heart rate up.
  • tommysmom2000
    Options
    I started off my weight loss journey using the elliptical as I had a heel spur that wouldn't allow me to walk on it. I mixed up the exercises I did on it, intervals, front, back, sprints, slow hard climbs....it is really very versatile when you think about it!

I have moved on to include all other cardio machines in my workouts. I've lost 30 lbs & found that the main secret to my success is to MIX IT UP and never do the same thing each time. Muscles have an incredible memory so you have to "trick" them by changing it up with different strength/cardio all the time.

I workout 4 days a week 60-90 minutes each time...have lost many inches & pounds but never take it for granted & know now (after so many years being overweight) that this is not a race....it's a way of life!! Good luck!!!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

This. I don't run frequently because I have problems with my left knee from an accident. However, I can use an elliptical all day without major pain in my knee.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Not as difficult as the treadmill or stairmaster? There are people who talk to me FROM those machines telling me they don't know how I can do the elliptical the way I do! I love the elliptical--the calorie burn is freaking awesome! I also like the arc trainer. It's a really interesting machine. It's like part stair climber, part bike, part elliptical... Also a good burn.

I was having a harder time losing weight this time, so I was going to Curves and just barely losing. I joined a gym where I could get in my elliptical, and the weight started to fly off! Of course, it's slowed down now, but I love the elliptical!
  • neznarf0205
    neznarf0205 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is awesome and less jarring then other things. It was my main aerobic until I lost enough to be running again. To get more bang for your buck increase the resistance and incline. You really just need to get your heart rate where you want it and all aerobic is good.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    c: That's partly how I lost the gist of my weight.
    Added with other things, because it gets repetitive.
    Ellipticals seem easier,
    but some have settings where they increase intensity;
    so I felt like I was still on a treadmill.
  • tiffanyvc
    Options
    You all make me want to dust off my elliptical and go back to it! I gave it up do to my ankle and feet.

I am having trouble with the tendons on the top of my feet--kind of where you tie your sneakers. Do you think this is from overuse of my elliptical? I am not sure if it was going from zero to full out working out or walking hills after not working out....

I am trying to avoid getting hurt!!!

Go see a podiatrist if you can. I have that same problem and was diagnosed with tendonopathy, which doesn't come from one specific thing, but happens gradually over time. After months and months of treatment, my doctor told me that if I want to start exercising, I should use the elliptical, because it actually puts LESS pressure on those tendons than walking does, if done correctly. He also recommended biking and swimming, but I found swimming hurt my tendons as well. It sucks, but it can be treated if you go see a doctor.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is awesome! You do have to be sure to use proper form, though, or your lower back will start to hurt. I like it because I can go at a running pace, thereby improving cardiovascular endurance, without feeling pain in my knee like I do when I run on the treadmill. I also notice a bigger difference in what it does for my rear end. Another machine they have at my gym is the Wave Glider. It's similar to a stairclimber, but you are moving in a side to side skating motion instead of straight up and down. This one has been great for my inner and outer thighs, as well as my butt. It also never fails to get my HR up near 170...and I only do about ten minutes at a time.