How Thirsty are you? Diet Soda anyone?

Options

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do plenty of unhealthy things while losing weight and are "successful". That doesn't mean it's good. I have a friend who lost 30lbs by ONLY drinking diet soda. That was it. She didn't eat, she just drank diet soda.

For me, losing weight is about an overall process of treating myself better. I don't HAVE to drink soda, and it's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS a better choice to put water into your body if you're thirsty. If ANY food or drink has that much control over you, I would question how successful you'll be in the long term in your weight loss and health goals.

I guess anyone can nit pick anything to justify a bad habit.....but if you HAVE to nit pick to justify it then maybe it's not the best thing.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do not drink anything but water, however, my mother has been drinking diet coke since the beginning of time. We are both healthy, only I am fatter :laugh: They need to state other factors of the participants in the study. Were they on a high fat diet? Did they have family history of heart problems, diabetes??
  • Crimson_
    Options
    90% of the time you can make 50% of any statistac say whatever you want it to, 50% of the time...

did they consider that most the people that are drinking the diet soda may have already been morbidly obese(not to say they all are or everyone who drinks it is) but lets be honest if you weren't on a "diet" you wouldnt drink diet soda, so these people already had problems and then not to mention the average person that particpates in these studies are people in need of money cause they arent paid very well for the study, so they probably were already malnourished...

just sayin. <3
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you:drinker:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts to hear people say "diet soda makes you fat." It has ZERO CALORIES!!! Please explain to me how something that has no calories is putting fat on your body.

Now, if you're stupid, and you think that drinking diet soda is a permission slip to eat more calories or drink other calorie-dense beverages, well, it's not the diet soda that is making you fat.

As for other health risks, you don't put anything in your mouth that doesn't carry some level of health risk. In short, I think we should get over it.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Oh good. Another diet soda thread.

AndHereWeGo.gif
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in drinking diet soda and there's no nutritional value in it. There are many better stimulants out there like ginseng.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in drinking diet soda and there's no nutritional value in it.

What like water? Simply taste. We are fickle creatures, we enjoy tasting our food and drink.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in drinking diet soda and there's no nutritional value in it. There are many better stimulants out there like ginseng.

It allows me to get my caffeine without any calories. Caffeine makes me more awake and puts me in a better mood, and being in a better mood and keeps me from beating up people who annoy me in the morning. This keeps me out of prison, where the food is awful and not particularly nutritious. So that's the nutritional value.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I like things that taste good. I will eat and drink things that taste good. I will do so in moderation, lose weight, be healthier and still maintain some of the pleasures of life. sounds like a good equation to me.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    It allows me to get my caffeine without any calories. Caffeine makes me more awake and puts me in a better mood, and being in a better mood and keeps me from beating up people who annoy me in the morning. This keeps me out of prison, where the food is awful and not particularly nutritious. So that's the nutritional value.
    take a caffeine pill or better yet a ginseng pill.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I don't see the point in drinking diet soda and there's no nutritional value in it.

What like water? Simply taste. We are fickle creatures, we enjoy tasting our food and drink.

water with added minerals and flavored stevia is better tasting than any diet soda I've had.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Perhaps those who were drinking the diet soda were overweight and already at higher risk of all that stuff? Just maybe? LOL

The study didn't control for diet.

If you try to cancel out your quadruple animal style cheeseburger and xxxl fries with a diet coke, and you have a damn heart attack, was it the diet coke? Or your fat-filled greasy diet?

Every one of my lost pounds was saturated in Coke Zero.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Every time I go back to diet soda my running suffers. It's so much harder for me to move when I'm on that stuff. Maybe it's just me. It also makes me crave sweets.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do plenty of unhealthy things while losing weight and are "successful". That doesn't mean it's good. I have a friend who lost 30lbs by ONLY drinking diet soda. That was it. She didn't eat, she just drank diet soda.

For me, losing weight is about an overall process of treating myself better. I don't HAVE to drink soda, and it's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS a better choice to put water into your body if you're thirsty. If ANY food or drink has that much control over you, I would question how successful you'll be in the long term in your weight loss and health goals.

I guess anyone can nit pick anything to justify a bad habit.....but if you HAVE to nit pick to justify it then maybe it's not the best thing.

I don't have to justify anything. I am a grown woman, I have done extensive reading on both sides of the artificial sweetener debate and at this time I choose to drink it. I would never argue that it's a health food but I don't see the harm in it. It's not like I am asking anyone else to drink it.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Did you know that Coca Cola was originally green?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Did you know that Coca Cola was originally green?

I did not.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    AND contained actual cocaine.

Now THAT"S a drink I would chug-a-lug!

Bet it was amazing for weight loss ;)
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options

You're right. I will switch back to the real stuff. At least that has calories in it!
  • azura8181
    Options
    I wonder if these diet soda is teh evilz threads going to outnumber the can I eats me exercise calories threads?
    *opens a can of cherry coke zero*