For the ladies, another TOM ?

Options
Normally I'm really good with self-control, I have my eyes on the bigger picture and it's been fairly easy to stay on track. That is until the dreaded time of month comes. So frustrating, hormones take over, I have the hardest time staying on track. Anyone else? Have you found anything that helps to not totally sabatoge yourself once a month?

Replies

• snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am with you there. I just started having the chocolate cravings last night. I chewed on a straw to avoid digging into my husbands candy stash, but I know that won't last for long. My biggest worry is that when it hits I will get off track from my work out schedule because I am normally in bed for two days with pain. I have not had a TOM since I started this new lifestyle, so it will be interesting when it arrives. I figure if I give in and eat a piece of chocolate or two, that will be ok since I do not eat back any of my exercise calories. I just need to make sure that I continue to work out, even if it is just walking on the treadmill.
  • angie3005
    angie3005 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, i am normally very well focused on my goal, but i struggle with TOM as i always feel starving no matter what i eat :grumble: so its a struggle for the week before TOM then the week it arrives i can hardly get out of bed, last month wasnt so heavy tho, so maybe this healthy eating plan is working, last time i made huge bowls of sugar free jelly and whenever the urge took me i could go eat as much as i liked without it costing me too many calories.....it makes it easier for me to stick to my 3 meals a day!! and helps the sweet craving.
    oh the joys of being a woman lol!!!
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    I have the same chocolate cravings around TOM.. Which is funny because outside TOM, I HATE chocolate!!! Maybe just getting mini size or snack size chocolate could help? I found some amazing German chocolate at Aldi.. I think a serving size is about 4 squares? I only have one and it satisfies..
  • lifechange12
    lifechange12 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh my God, yes!! I am having a bad week - gained 2 lbs and the only thing I can blame is the hormones! I am hoping
    that after TOM, my weight will go back. Has anyone had issue with weight gain?
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yes, I crave chocolate and salt and I also always feel hungry. I am not sure what, if anything, we can do about it. I am considering getting a hormone screen done to see if there is anything I can balance out with supplements.
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    a mug of hot chocolate will sometimes help!!
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    vitatops deep chocolate muffins are 100 calories. the skinny cow ice cream is also fantastic. fudge pops are 40 calories.
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    OMG Kinky! What a cute baby!!!!!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    a mug of hot chocolate will sometimes help!!

haha i'm drinking a mug of it right now for this very reason!
  • reneeramirez4christ
    Options
    hey ladies! I'm working on my BSN and one thing we have learned is our bodies are created to GAIN weight during that time of the month! it's somewhat of a complicated explanation, but basically it's best to not weigh yourself during that week even possibly for 2 weeks and focus on maintaining and working out. After that you should be good to weigh yourself and see that it reality YOU did not gain the weight. Remember, 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat. Keep your calorie intake low and your workout calorie reduction higher and you should be ok.
  • jsbpitch
    jsbpitch Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh, My. I've been tracking my weight the past 3 months using the progress "graph" and found consistent spikes every 28 days. HA! I'm convincing myself that if at each month I'm lower before the weight gain than the previous month, I'll recover after. Also.... The more time I spend at the gym, the less time I have to eat at home. I've increased my cardio time this past week in preparation. We'll see if it makes a difference this time around...
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Uhmmm sort of yea. Some times are worse than others. Just a tip for those wanting chocolate...a little doesn't hurt, so I've found that eating cocoa roast almonds HELPS! hehe LOVE THEM!
  • jkrim941
    jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I go with fudge pops or SF hot cocoa. Also, if you want something that looks huge but has realtively small calories and tons of fiber- Hungry Girl Yum Yum Brownie Muffins are great. They are ginormous for only 180 cals.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't really have that TOM anymore since my hysterectomy...but I am still a salt craving ***** once a month! And my weight still goes up about 2lbs....damn ovaries!! Lots of water:drinker:
  • lissamok
    Options
    Yes, TOM weight gain is scary. I can go up anywhere from 5-6 pounds overnight (literally overnight) and have it magically disappear 2 days after. I'm on birth control to regulate my estrogen levels for ovarian cysts and even though I only have TOM for one day, I still feel the impact like a Mack truck.

As for cravings, I indulge them in weird ways. If I'm craving a ton of salt and chocolate, I'll sprinkle a bit of salt on dark, dark chocolate (as dark as I can find) and the weird combination in that one bite will usually keep the cravings at bay. I don't have any solution to the hunger pangs except copious amounts of hot water and frequent restroom visits. :(
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just allow myself 1 chocolate bar during TOM. It's only once a month it's not going to make me gain 10lbs. Enjoy it, don't over do it, and work it off x
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have half a small bar of dark chocolate (it's better for you, and i'm vegan) when I get a chocolate craving and I find that helps immensely.
    If it's TOM, I listen to my body and give it what it wants. Mine only lasts about 3 days, so I feed it what it wants and then even out the calories/fats/sugars/carbs as best I can for the rest of the week to still come in under target.
    Exercise restraint, but don't deprive yourself!
  • sfh0wrd
    Options
    I get one chocolate something (candy bar, cupcake, etc), the darker and richer the better. I make sure it fits into my calories for the day... and then I eat every last crumb.

Giving up wheat (and it's only been a week) has really helped with my general bloatedness. I'm on TOM right now and I've actually lost almost a pound since Monday.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    currently dealing with this. LOL. For me, it's craving salt, chocolate and peanut butter. Dark chocolate is healthier for you then others, one TBSP of special dark chocolate chips is 70 cals...so... i keep some of those around so I don't devour something else terrible... Also, if you are one who doesn;t mind packaged things, Atkins has some of thier bars that are low glycemic... walmart has the best prices on those.....and they taste very similar to the candy they are inspired by. I figure that's got to be better ( and usually, smaller) then the real sugar filled thing. LOL.

I will also use natural peanut butter or cashew butter, less sugar and additives again...there is also that PB2 which has a lot less fat ...one of my coworkers had it here once and it's pretty good :) For Salt craving... I try crackers/rice crisps made with brown rice...walmart has a few, quakes chili rice quakes are awesome...and blue diamond nut thins...
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Uhmmm sort of yea. Some times are worse than others. Just a tip for those wanting chocolate...a little doesn't hurt, so I've found that eating cocoa roast almonds HELPS! hehe LOVE THEM!

these are awesome too!