Anyone else have a gym at work?

Options
The company I work for is having a new building built and it should be open in a few months. One of the nice perks is it'll have a "fitness center" which IMO is awesome. Some people have already said they won't use it though because they don't want to be around coworkers. I figure if it's free, has what I need and is open when I need it. I'm there!

Anyone else use a gym or fitness center at work?

Replies

• Kaleonar
    Kaleonar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use the gym at work all the time. I try to hit non-peak hours (early morning) but sometimes I even go at lunch. It is a great perk and I don't think you should worry about seeing co-workers. Everyone usually is ear phoned up and enjoying their work out. Also, I think it depends on the size of the company and gym. I work for a large company and it is fairly small gym but it still is not awkard.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think it's a big deal either and I'm sure some of the "higher ups" are going to keep their current memberships. I plan on going after work that way I'll kill time and hopefully the traffic won't be too bad :laugh:
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I do, I do! It's small, but it's a gym. I kinda agree with your coworkers. I really don't want the people I work with to see me during/after a workout. That being said, I do use the treadmill to get some walking in (just bring sneakers and walk during lunch or before/after work). And, when I've lost more weight and feel more comfortable, I could see myself using the work gym. :)
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The University I work for allows us to use the Wellness Center for an exceedingly exorbitant fee. Makes me sad :(
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    The University I work for allows us to use the Wellness Center for an exceedingly exorbitant fee. Makes me sad :(

Oh that sucks. No discount at all?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Technically speaking yes... I work for a city and we can use the city rec centers for a nominal fee (I pay $8 a month and the family plan is $12 a month)... and then we get discounts on the contractors that teach fitness classes and such... but in the actual building, no... but that would be nice... though my bosses are pretty supportive of me heading over to a rec center for lunch and getting my workout on.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    $8 a month is awesome and $12 for a family is even better!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    $8 a month is awesome and $12 for a family is even better!

Yeah, that's what I thought too... and they are very similar to the YMCA in classes, activities and all around amenities... though this is just for employees that sign up for it, it's a benefit for us and I like it... ;-)
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    Yes we have a gym in my building at work. I use it 4-5 days a week to lift weights. I am following a program on bodybuilding.com and can do about 98% of the program at work. Whatever weights or machines we don't have I pick up later that night at my other gym that I belong to. Then I try and do cardio 2-3x a week as well. Right now it works out nicely.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    Yes we have a gym in my building at work. I use it 4-5 days a week to lift weights. I am following a program on bodybuilding.com and can do about 98% of the program at work. Whatever weights or machines we don't have I pick up later that night at my other gym that I belong to. Then I try and do cardio 2-3x a week as well. Right now it works out nicely.

I'm glad it works out for you! I have no idea yet what ours will have. They are being very hush hush about our building.
  • jedibunny
    Options
    I don't have a gym at work - we reside in a shared office complex - but I discovered today that my company reimburses $150/year for a fitness club membership. For my new membership that means I'm going to pay $90/year... and that's stellar. :)
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    I don't have a gym at work - we reside in a shared office complex - but I discovered today that my company reimburses $150/year for a fitness club membership. For my new membership that means I'm going to pay $90/year... and that's stellar. :)

That's awesome! We have something like that too. They'll pay up to $35 a month for a gym membership (well, reimburse) and some people are worried they'll take that away once we have our "own" gym.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Yep, we have a free fitness center. I don't use it much, since my own gym is bigger and better equipped. Also, there are a lot of people who use the gym at work making it a little crowded.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've never worked with a larger group of in worse-shape people before in my life.

We may have a gym, who knows.
  • iambatman41
    Options
    We use the gym at my wife's office, $50/yr, hard to beat. Very crowded in January, a little less in Feb and will be fairly empty by March. We love it!!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    We use the gym at my wife's office, $50/yr, hard to beat. Very crowded in January, a little less in Feb and will be fairly empty by March. We love it!!

Sounds about right for most gyms!
  • scubaruby
    scubaruby Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I joined our fitness center in December. They just raised the price before I joined, and it's $13 every two weeks, I think. Basic equipment--3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, rower, stationary bikes, 5 or 6 cybex machines, and free weights. They've got classes (spinning, zumba, kickboxing, etc) also, but the workout room is small so I've only taken one class.

It's been great for getting my workout done after work, before I get home and hit the couch. I see the same people there all the time, and I don't worry that they see me in my sweaty glory. They can get over it.
  • prttybrwneyez13
    prttybrwneyez13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of canceling my membership with LA Fitness and will be signing up with my employer's gym tomorrow. I got a promotion from retail to corporate a few weeks ago and when I saw the gym, I thought score! Traffic in the area is crazy around 5pm, and I've been tired from the evening commute and unfortunately I've put exercising off, so I figure with my new gym being literally down the hall and around the corner, I have no more excuses!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I first had one in the early 1990s but left that job in 1995. My previous employer had a really good one but in one of their economy moves they started charging $20 a month to use it. I think that's really awful- why should they discourage its use? I learned a lot from the people they had working there and enjoyed the exercise classes as a break from my routine. New employer also has one- not as well-equipped and with no employees, but also no charge. I'm there nearly every day, and have a membership at a community gym for the weekends and the rare days I can't fit exercise into my workday.

As for being with co-workers when I'm not wearing my respectable business suits- no biggie. I end up meeting people I wouldn't meet otherwise and in a large company that's always good.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    We have one in my office building that is only for employees and costs 200 a year. I was reluctant to use it for the longest time, but as a single mom of a very young child I realized that if I didn't use the gym at work, I'd never excercise. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Sometimes I even run into my boss there. We exchange pleasantries and go about our business. So my boss has seen me in my running shorts. So what?