Plasma or LCD/LED

Options
raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
Looking to get a 55 inch tv for the mancave and i have been doing tons of research before i make the purchase.

the tv will be in the basement and there is barely any sunlight coming in. It wont be for gaming and will be used for more special events and movie viewing and of course watching GIANTS Football.

any suggestions?

Replies

• raven56706
    Options
    any advice please
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar setup with my family room downstairs. We went with plasma for the better picture since it was a darker room. We have been very happy with the TV down there.

Upstairs I did purchase an LCD because it is a very bright room. It works great in that environment.

I would recommend visiting a electronics store and comparing the different tv's in person.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    We have a 46 inch (I think) in both and I prefer the Plasma. I think the picture is clearer/crisper and everyone comments on it being a great TV. Granted - the LCD one we have isn't a high end one - I think we bought it at Costco. My plasma is a Panasonic Viera.
  • raven56706
    Options
    i have done that and im very tech savy... the problem im seeing is that i have been a very big supporter for LCD. But recently i have seen how the panasonic tvs are really nice. Im just afraid of burn in
  • raven56706
    Options
    bump
  • TMasticTB
    TMasticTB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i have done that and im very tech savy... the problem im seeing is that i have been a very big supporter for LCD. But recently i have seen how the panasonic tvs are really nice. Im just afraid of burn in

Ha, man, this sounded like me last month when I went shopping for a new TV. Had my sights set on either a Samsung or LG LCD or LED, and ended up walking out with a 42'' Panasonic plasma TV.

Why?

- The room it was going into typically stays dark, even with some lights on. General consensus is that plasmas are best for darker rooms.
    - Truly vibrant colors. First thing when I finished setting it up was pop in Avatar on blu-ray. Holy crap.
    - I don't have any gaming console hooked up to it. Sometimes, games are the culprits to burn-in because they will have stationary images on the screen (think scoreboard in a sports game, or dashboard in a racing game, or the HUD in a FPS). But to have these cause burn-in, you have to play a LOT for that to happen.
    - I know in my TV, there is a setting that is pretty much burn-in prevention. Every so often, it'll "shift" the display a pixel or two to keep things fresh. I have the setting on and have never noticed it work (which is a good thing).

Other
    - Size, weight, and power consumption have come down considerably, where there isn't too much of a difference anymore between plasma and LCD in these regards. Of course, LED TVs are going to be thinner, lighter, and take less power.
    - Panasonic is to plasma as Samsung is to LED technology, meaning you just can't go wrong with a Panasonic plasma TV.
    - My parents have a 5-6 year old plasma TV, and they have NO burn-in what-so-ever. It's used probably 2-4 hours per day, and longer when my brother and I were younger and lived at home. But it's STILL a great TV, even though it's big, heavy, and is "only" 720p.

*edit*
    Oh yeah, the Super Bowl looked pretty sweet too (Steelers fan), but I'm sure it looked even better for you!
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    I have both kinds. I like the picture quality on my plasma better, especially for watching Eagles football! ;) u get more bang for your buck.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Its my understanding that the "burn" in problem is really no longer an issue. Pretty much every single Plasma tv now has automatic prevention of this now. Early models had issues, but that was years ago.