Success with PCOS

Options

Replies

• sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    BUMP.....I have PCOS too and I am struggling with losing the weight to help our fertility process. I'm looking for answers as well.
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've lost 40 pounds (some before starting on MFP). It was hard at first, but I've stuck with it. Now it is slow and steady, but happening! You can do it, just keep trying. I also seem to have more success when I'm eating more things that keep my insulin at steady levels.

THIS!

No really, I've lost 40lbs too, some before MFP, but I still count it. Anyone with PCOS, please feel to add me!
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    it seems like everyone has PCOS, I don't know if I have it, as I don't go to the doctor, but what do you mean by quickly enough? if you're losing or averaging 1 pound a week or 4 in a month, that's healthy and most likely fat, and the slower you lose, you're likely to keep it off long term. drink plenty water, eat when you're hungry, eat fruits/veggies. it's not hard, it's a matter or doing it, we're all a lot smarter and capable than we think we are.

Its not just weight issues with pcos, its fertility, acne, hair. U wud no if u had it.
    N some of us do eat healthy n it stil doesnt come off, its harder for us pcos sufferers than someone that doesnt have it !!!

It's always humorous to me when people who don't have family members or themselves go through PCOS think that our bodies work the same way as theirs and that it should be "easy." If it were easy, when I was 16, eating little, and running 3 plus miles every single day, I should have been a healthy weight range. I have yet to see a healthy weight range since puberty. It's like telling an autistic person that it's easy to think like everyone else, just do xyz every day and you'll snap right out of it. Doesn't work that way. PCOS is for life. It never goes away, and it always affects how your body uses and stores nutrients and how it responds to exercise.
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I was told by a trainer who also has PCOS that you have to do specific exercises when doing cardio (sort of like HITT cardio exercises) and then weight training. I personally have had zero success with losing weight having PCOS, so I don't know the magic formula to success at this time. I am considering surgical weightloss at this point since it seems I have tried everything, many trainers, docs, etc. I also take Metformin, and it worked by dropping ten pounds the first month, but it's come back, plus 20 more. I hope you find what you're looking for and are successful!

The metformin KILLS my stomach when I start taking it- but it's better with a healthy diet, and within a week-10 days I'm feeling better. This is the main reason I have become so diligent in remembering to take it. OH MY- I took it twice about 4 hours apart because i thought I'd forgotten that morning and MAN it wasn't pretty. I actually left work and went home early.

Anyway- without the metformin I wasn't able to lose anything beyon my first 14lbs. I was plateaued at 260 for 3 months or more with good eating and regular exercise, so I finally broke down and got back on it. I'm not going to say it's been easy, but it's actually coming off now. I plateaued again around 240, which was frustrating, but it happens.

Before surgery, I'd recommend meeting with an endocrinologist to make sure it's not thyroid or something else. I mean, if you haven't ruled that out yet. To me, combating the symptoms with surgery is just so risky compared to addressing the problem at its root. you wouldn't want to have the surgery and then gain it all back. Good luck with it either way!
  • rachelboddy
    Options
    I was told by a trainer who also has PCOS that you have to do specific exercises when doing cardio (sort of like HITT cardio exercises) and then weight training. I personally have had zero success with losing weight having PCOS, so I don't know the magic formula to success at this time. I am considering surgical weightloss at this point since it seems I have tried everything, many trainers, docs, etc. I also take Metformin, and it worked by dropping ten pounds the first month, but it's come back, plus 20 more. I hope you find what you're looking for and are successful!

The metformin KILLS my stomach when I start taking it- but it's better with a healthy diet, and within a week-10 days I'm feeling better. This is the main reason I have become so diligent in remembering to take it. OH MY- I took it twice about 4 hours apart because i thought I'd forgotten that morning and MAN it wasn't pretty. I actually left work and went home early.

Anyway- without the metformin I wasn't able to lose anything beyon my first 14lbs. I was plateaued at 260 for 3 months or more with good eating and regular exercise, so I finally broke down and got back on it. I'm not going to say it's been easy, but it's actually coming off now. I plateaued again around 240, which was frustrating, but it happens.

Before surgery, I'd recommend meeting with an endocrinologist to make sure it's not thyroid or something else. I mean, if you haven't ruled that out yet. To me, combating the symptoms with surgery is just so risky compared to addressing the problem at its root. you wouldn't want to have the surgery and then gain it all back. Good luck with it either way!

Yeah docs have done many test with me so now I'm working with a different clinic, but they do work with surgical weight loss. However, they are going to monitor me for three months on their recommended diet to see what happens. I've debated surgery for a year now, because I've fought this my whole life without any answers. I bring them my food and exercise journal and they just shrug at me, because they believe too that I should be losing about 1lb a week doing what I had been doing. So we're not sure if surgery will make it come off either, but apparently some of the surgeries help with PCOS in a way that you can't do without it. I wouldn't be considering surgery if I felt like I had another option. I do NOT want to get as big as the rest of my family, and at this point, I feel like I have absolutely no control over my weight or my body. I can't stop it from gaining weight, no matter what new exercise I do, eating only fruits and veggies and only lean meats, etc etc. No one knows why my body isn't responding to the metformin or the diets or the exercise like other bodies respond. I can't afford to wait five years to lose ten to 20 lbs (when I have 80 plus to lose and am unable to "live life" to my standards and have a healthy relationship with my bf-I will drive him absolutely crazy if this has to go on another five years)....
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Yeah docs have done many test with me so now I'm working with a different clinic, but they do work with surgical weight loss. However, they are going to monitor me for three months on their recommended diet to see what happens. I've debated surgery for a year now, because I've fought this my whole life without any answers. I bring them my food and exercise journal and they just shrug at me, because they believe too that I should be losing about 1lb a week doing what I had been doing. So we're not sure if surgery will make it come off either, but apparently some of the surgeries help with PCOS in a way that you can't do without it. I wouldn't be considering surgery if I felt like I had another option. I do NOT want to get as big as the rest of my family, and at this point, I feel like I have absolutely no control over my weight or my body. I can't stop it from gaining weight, no matter what new exercise I do, eating only fruits and veggies and only lean meats, etc etc. No one knows why my body isn't responding to the metformin or the diets or the exercise like other bodies respond. I can't afford to wait five years to lose ten to 20 lbs.

This may sound extreme but you should consider a glutten free diet with 80% raw. I am reading a book called "Wheat Belly" and it explains a lot about why carbs suck!
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Low carbs and sugars. I eat like a diabetic with a lot of sugar free things. I hate metformine and wont take it so i have controlled my sugar by what i eat
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Anyone with PCOS please feel free to add me :smile:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Yeah docs have done many test with me so now I'm working with a different clinic, but they do work with surgical weight loss. However, they are going to monitor me for three months on their recommended diet to see what happens. I've debated surgery for a year now, because I've fought this my whole life without any answers. I bring them my food and exercise journal and they just shrug at me, because they believe too that I should be losing about 1lb a week doing what I had been doing. So we're not sure if surgery will make it come off either, but apparently some of the surgeries help with PCOS in a way that you can't do without it. I wouldn't be considering surgery if I felt like I had another option. I do NOT want to get as big as the rest of my family, and at this point, I feel like I have absolutely no control over my weight or my body. I can't stop it from gaining weight, no matter what new exercise I do, eating only fruits and veggies and only lean meats, etc etc. No one knows why my body isn't responding to the metformin or the diets or the exercise like other bodies respond. I can't afford to wait five years to lose ten to 20 lbs.

What dose of Met are you on? How and when do you take it? What other diabetic medications have you tried? Have they tested not only your thyroid function (TSH, T3, T4) but also tested for anti-thyroid antibodies? What were your thyroid levels when you had them tested?
  • rachelboddy
    Options

What dose of Met are you on? How and when do you take it? What other diabetic medications have you tried? Have they tested not only your thyroid function (TSH, T3, T4) but also tested for anti-thyroid antibodies? What were your thyroid levels when you had them tested?

I'm on 2000mg of metformin a day. I typically take 2 in the morning and 2 before dinner. I've tried taking 1500mg to see if that does anything, and it does not. I haven't tried any other meds, since no one has prescribed anything. The docs just get mad each time I come to them and I've gained another ten lbs. They think I'm lying on my food journals and sneaking food in. It's BS. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned anti-thyroid antibodies to me, because I didn't know that existed... what test do I ask for for that? And I have no idea what my thyroid levels were, because all they tell me is I was within normal ranges.
  • tiffiemariee
    tiffiemariee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    After trying to conceive for 2 years, I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. My doctor put me on Metformin, and I lost about 9 lbs is all, but without changing eating/exercising habits, and then after I started taking it, I at least stopped gaining weight so easily. It helped me stabilize. I stopped taking it after my first trimester per my reproductive endocrinologists suggestion. After i quit breastfeeding, I gained a ton of weight, and seemingly overnight. I started taking Metformin again last fall to stop the weight gain. After I started taking it again, I did quit gaining weight. I haven't lost much weight, and what I have lost was from calorie cutting. FYI for all you people out there trying to conceive, my heart goes out to you and I wish you the best. Metformin, Letrozole + Hcg trigger, and IUI worked for me.
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Stay away from CARBS and SUGAR! Make sure you take your med regularly. If your not taking any med. Than thats why your not losing weight ( go to the doc and get mediformine) if you can! Do carido like dancing or something! I have pcos and its hard but the main thing is stay away from thoughs foods. Yes it will be nasty stuff you eat! But you will see results!

You do NOT necessarily have to get on Metformin, I am not and doing just fine losing weight. Exercising and keeping a good diet, lowering those processed carbs will help you. And it won't be nasty either, it will be exactly what you make of it! Good luck!

Agree! You don't necessariy HAVE to take a drug. I lost 40 pounds by just eating more healthy and doing P90X. Unfortunately I got really lazy then and gained about 15 back but I'm back at it and lost 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks.

I eat NO processed carbs. I am not somebody that can't have ANY carbs, I become a very bad person to be around. ;) I eat whole wheat bread (Dave's Killer Bread is AMAZING), brown rice and LOTS AND LOTS of veggies to get carbs. I also LOVE fruit in the summertime.

If you really want to start losing I'd start pushing harder than just walking. Get some good cardio and start doing some weight training till you find something that works. Remember you need to give something at LEAST 2-3 weeks to really start seeing a difference.
  • rachelboddy
    Options

This may sound extreme but you should consider a glutten free diet with 80% raw. I am reading a book called "Wheat Belly" and it explains a lot about why carbs suck!

That's a good suggestion, but yes, I have tried that as well.
  • rachelboddy
    Options
    After trying to conceive for 2 years, I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. My doctor put me on Metformin, and I lost about 9 lbs is all, but without changing eating/exercising habits, and then after I started taking it, I at least stopped gaining weight so easily. It helped me stabilize. I stopped taking it after my first trimester per my reproductive endocrinologists suggestion. After i quit breastfeeding, I gained a ton of weight, and seemingly overnight. I started taking Metformin again last fall to stop the weight gain. After I started taking it again, I did quit gaining weight. I haven't lost much weight, and what I have lost was from calorie cutting. FYI for all you people out there trying to conceive, my heart goes out to you and I wish you the best. Metformin, Letrozole + Hcg trigger, and IUI worked for me.

I am one of those girls who would love to see fertility! Congrats to your success however by conceiving!
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Met really only causes weight loss without diet/exercise because of the nasty side effects. Things tend to go right through you until your body adjusts to it. However, it makes it easier to lose weight once your insulin sensitivity is increased closer to normal levels. I've been on met for 12+ years but only last year made the effort to truly try to lose weight. I think I did lose about 20 lbs. initially on Met but did gain it back later. It also took me 10+ years before I faithfully took my full dosage each day due to the side effects. Worst 3 weeks of my life when I finally started taking it.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. You have to find what works for you. I try to take my metformin on a daily basis, but sometimes it does make me sick to my stomach. I find it best to do the low carb low sugar. I was eating WAY to much fruit and it backfired on me. Right now I'm trying to keep my daily intake at 50 carbs or less and VERY little sugar. When I lose enough weight, then I will SLOWLY increase my carb intake. The mistake that some people make when they lose the weight they want, then they go back to eating normal carbs and normal sugar. You can't do that though. Just be patient. Good luck!
    I agree. I can only have berries. Bananas were tooo much for me to lose, even though my calories were low. High protein, low GI carbs.

I couldn't process met. made me sick
  • sandy729
    Options

We've been trying to conceive for the past 3 years. 3 failed IUIs 2 IVF transfers with one resulting in a miscarriage. I'm praying so hard our next transfer results in a Big Fat Positive. I love hearing about PCOS fertility success stories. It gives me so much hope.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    For those of you TTC, I wish you luck. We did all the treatments too, up to 3 IVF attempts. Ultimately, I've never been pregnant but I have three amazing children through adoption and frankly, am SO GLAD that I never have to feel bad for passing on my horrible genes LOL.
  • sandy729
    Options
    For those of you TTC, I wish you luck. We did all the treatments too, up to 3 IVF attempts. Ultimately, I've never been pregnant but I have three amazing children through adoption and frankly, am SO GLAD that I never have to feel bad for passing on my horrible genes LOL.

That's awesome. We have one frozen emby left. If this cycle doesn't work, we are looking into adoption as well. Would love to ask you questions if you don't mind?
  • springfan
    springfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I have been having great success with my weight loss. I am on Metformin and I closely watch my carbs and sugars and exercise daily.

4329776.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!