Getting cakes to rise in an Aga!

Options
FTIM2015
FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
Ok all... the BF has a lovely Aga, the kind that stay on constantly with 2 constantly heated/ on ovens and 2 electric variable temp ones (2 hot plates and 4 adjustable hob rings)...

Problem is that everytime that I bake in it my cakes wont rise! Tried adding a shed load of baking powder, it should have been through the roof but its flat :sad: Tried both the electric sides and the constant heat ones but no luck.:explode:

Suggestions?!?!:drinker:

NB: Brownies are fine as was the roast dinner, just cake thats a problem!

Replies

• FTIM2015
    Options
    No one?
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    Is your baking powder old? Are you using single or double acting powder? Some work with just liquid, but need acid, others work again with heat. Perhaps it doesn't get hot enough?
  • sazzacrow
    sazzacrow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    An excellant book i use is the aga book by mary berry ive never had a non rising cake. Good luck! if u need any more info let me know i'll be happy to help i can also supply recipes if u let me know what kind of cake u want
  • FTIM2015
    Options
    I've now discovered the problem....

me: so when was the aga last serviced?

him: 2006.. NO 2007! (sounded really pleased with himself...)

me: Erm maybe it's time for a service!?

Much as I love him, he's hopeless with anything kitchen related!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    That's just weird. I have an Aga and find it great for cakes, bottom shelf of the top oven. The only thing is you have to really watch it, as you can't smell anything cooking in them so it's easy to overcook things.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I've now discovered the problem....

me: so when was the aga last serviced?

him: 2006.. NO 2007! (sounded really pleased with himself...)

me: Erm maybe it's time for a service!?

Much as I love him, he's hopeless with anything kitchen related!

They have to be serviced every year!
  • FTIM2015
    Options
    I know, he's hopeless! Thing is until I came along the most that happened with it was ready meals!!!! The ex couldn't/ wouldn't cook.