Losing Weight without Exercise

Options

Replies

• bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I lost 174 pounds doing no exercise. Nothing!

I like it now and do it for the feeling. The fact it helps me to tone is even better. I actually gain weight when I exercise due to water retention in my muscles. I have officially divorced my scale.

Of course you can do it with food alone. I'm living proof!
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're having success with things the way you're currently doing it, which is great! It's like everyone else said, it'll take a while longer. I do agree with the lady who said walking IS exercise. Anything you do to move your body is great. The thing is, it's not just about weight loss. It's about over all health. And exercise strengthens your body, your heart, your muscles. It's important. Maybe you just haven't found your niche? What about swimming? Or Zumba? Or something in the form of a game?
  • zeikiya989
    Options
    I lost before with just diet and some walking but its a big difference this time with the toning from working out and its faster.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I love walking, and try to get in several short walks a day, they all add up. Personal goal is 12,000 steps per day. I'm short, so that's 4.5-5 miles for me.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This "net" calorie stuff is hogwash. Keep it below 1000 calories TOTAL. How? Easy. Three meals a day. Something around 300 calories for breakfast (McDonalds is fine once you've verified the numbers), then a Lean Cuisine for lunch, and another for dinner. Add a multivitamin and a few glasses of water, and you're good to go. And if anyone thinks you "need" to eat more than that per day, PATHETIC.

Wow, judge people much? I don't even want to see what your sodium is a day. Hope that works out well for you.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    And to answer the question -- yes you absolutely can. I have been on plan for a little over 3 months and am almost to 60 lbs gone with little to no "exercise" besides the everyday walking I do.
  • ortmail
    ortmail Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in the beginning of January 2012 and have lost 10 lbs simply by staying within my 1250 a day calorie goal, and very little exercise other than the occasional walking and house work. I still eat what I want, haven't starved, and feel great, simply by watching what I eat. Who would have thought!?
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but it is absolutely impossible to lose weight without exercise. Exercise is what keeps your body in shape ~ and, by 'shape' I mean 'fitness', not looking like a model. Your heart is a muscle. It needs to be exercised to keep in shape. If you hate to exercise, I would recommend starting with just walking. Live in cold country? Go to a mall and start walking. Start with short walks. After a week, increase the walk by another block or another section of the mall. After another week, increase by another block, etc.
    Once you get started, and once you only focus on each weekly increase, you will start to enjoy the time ~ it's personal time ~ time to be with yourself ~ time to think over problems ~ time to reflect on blessings. So, please, find time to exercise. Call it anything else ~ call it "my personal time" ~ call it "my time to get healthy" ~ whatever, just do it.

^^^^Not impossible at all. In the past, I have lost loads of weight with hardly any exercise at all. I do workout tons now, but she doesn't want to hear about that. A very close friend of mine has lost close to 100 pounds and never worked out AT ALL until after she reached her goal weight. And then FINALLY, she decided on her own, without anyone telling her she should, to join a gym, started walking and has transitioned into running. You can absolutely lose without exercising! It IS 80% diet 20% exercise! And it won't take you longer. If you try to lose without watching your diet and just working out, THAT will take you longer. Ask me how I know. Oh, and I am now a group fitness instructor.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Diet plays a huge role in weight loss for a lot of people (yes we all know the ones who can eat anything and never gain), when I got to this base I decided to start walking everywhere, as much as I could and within a few weeks I'd lost about 8 lbs just by walking 3-5 miles a day at a leisurely pace. If you stick to healthy eating and just walk, and keep your calories at a deficit then yes, you should see weightloss. And if you have access to a gym, or hiking trails or just a hilly area, wallking those would be really great.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hi - I lost about 13 pounds in 5 weeks, without exercise.

Now, I have a lightly active job - a teacher on my feet for a large part of the day - and I do walk the dog every other day maybe - but I haven't engaged in any exercises, really. don't plan on keeping it that way, but that's the way it's been. I am very happy that with diet only, I have been this successful - my daily goal is 1450 and I find it has been working for me.

It CAN be done - just make smart choices about how your calories are used.

Good luck!
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not walking is one of the best exercises you can do. You know what you are willing to be consistent with so that is what you should do. That sounds great..
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I did lose weight from diet alone years ago on South Beach. I didn't excercise *at all*. And I gained every single pound back with interest.

I understand why you are hesitant to begin a big time excercise routine, it can be very taxing, especially if you go into it blindly. I read your post in it's totality and I know you don't want to hear how excercise will help keep off the weight or prevent the flabby-yet-thin-look. Just maybe thought with the right guidance you will find the workout that is right for your body and your energy level.

So yes, you can lose the weight and, yes, with the right amount of will power you can keep it off without excercise. Good luck to you in your endeavors. :flowerforyou:
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    If the thyroid meds make you feel better you can totally do it low calories and with walking. If you walk 10 min a day it's good. I found I tolerate spans of exercise better, and if I'm up to it I do it again. I have zero energy, so I rely heavily on calorie restriction and watching nutrition. 70 lbs. lost over several years, but now I'm playing with 5 lbs. that would be nice to get rid of. Once you establish a daily habit, even for a short time, you can increase as you feel like it. Borrow a dog, get an ipod and load great books or music and just enjoy a beautiful walk. Walk buddies are also good if you are on the same schedule, but I found they want to actually spend TIME walking and I want to get it over with.
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    just make sure with your diet that you are getting the appropriate amount of nutrients for your health issues. with thyroid issues it can be frustrating but ask your doctor what you should be getting each day iron, sodium and iodine wise (i think those are the nutrients most affected by thyroid issues). i have a bum leg (permanently disabled) and the more and more i walk the farther and farther i go! i limp pretty heavily but still manage to do it. it has greatly increased my energy! i use to burn out quickly too but like i said the more and more i do it the better i feel.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    This "net" calorie stuff is hogwash. Keep it below 1000 calories TOTAL. How? Easy. Three meals a day. Something around 300 calories for breakfast (McDonalds is fine once you've verified the numbers), then a Lean Cuisine for lunch, and another for dinner. Add a multivitamin and a few glasses of water, and you're good to go. And if anyone thinks you "need" to eat more than that per day, PATHETIC.

The only PATHETIC one is the person who uses their first post to abuse others. I eat many times during the day and have lost weight fine. Do what works for you long term and don't criticize others for doing the same.

OP yes you can lose weight. It won't look as good without exercise but weight will be gone.

My disagreement is that going to the gym and working out is the only type of exercise that's counted. It's not. I spend one hour in the gym three times a week. I do that because I enjoy it. But I get more exercise outside the gym. I walk 20 minutes to and from work. I play sport. I enjoy life by moving more. Walking is fine for exercise, so is playing a team sport. Taking the stairs instead of the lift or elevator.

If you want a ripped, toned body then no you won't get that without working out. But a healthy body? Yes you can by making small changes.
  • JonoK
    JonoK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely different for everyone. For me, I tried to just do the diet change, but my body adapted within a month - and then I was just fluctuating. Then I found out that I could ride my bike without hurting myself - and the pounds started dropping like crazy. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months - the natural way - diet and exercise.

Eating too few calories is not healthy either. Your body needs a minimum to function. Use the resources on here and find out what works. It's not all about having a calorie deficit and it's not all about working out - there's a balance. Find out what works for you and then apply it as best you can. Everyone is different. If something doesn't work, don't get discouraged - just approach it differently and keep going. I'm in the best shape of my life because of that principal.
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I really hope you're trolling with that advice....
  • didyb
    didyb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you're 29 years old.... maybe you could do it without exercise. I'm 46ish, and if I don't exercise, it's useless. However, I've found that it really doesn't have to be THAT much. Almost every morning, I take my dog around the block (0.2 miles, 34 calories). Doesn't seem like much at all. But, when I stopped doing it, I started putting on pounds. I truly believe that exercise, done in the morning, will help "rev" my metabolism for the day. I'm not saying that it's a BIG "rev", but it is noticed when NOT done. Keep that in mind... and get a dog..:tongue:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could but you won't have any muscle tone or definition.

Exactly. The exercise keeps you firmer.

In your shoes, instead of worrying about "cardio" keep walking when you can and incorporate some at home strength training workouts with your body weight. Crunches, squats, lunges, leg lifts, pushups, planks, and even yoga.

This will help you with your workouts and making it through the work day. (And give you some muscle definition)