Late night eating...

Options
I do excellent all day long. I eat good, healthy foods and exercise 4 to 5 times per week. Then after dinner, it all goes down hill. I eat and eat and eat. I eat when I'm not hungry, I eat because I see a food on t.v. and then can't get it out of my head, I eat until I am so full that my stomach hurts. It totally blows my day and I'm left telling myself that I'll make it up on the treadmill tomorrow. Which I do. Until after dinner....HELP!

Replies

• TrefG
    TrefG Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    After your dinner, brush your teeth and chew some gum. I had the exact same issue, and this pretty much solved it for me !
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You need to find something else to occupy you. Go for a walk, get a hobby, read a book, go window shopping (of shopping if you have the money). When I think I am going to go start snacking I try a a full glass of water first then a piece of gum, if those don't work I brush my teeth cause that make everything taste nasty for a bit. Usually I get past the craving by then.

And I probably shouldn't admit this but more than once I have went to bed early because I was hungry and didn't want to snack. Now the better option would be go for a walk but I live in the frozen tundra and that isn't an option in Feb.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're grazing compulsively after dinner (something I've done after an extra-stressful day at work - one of the reasons we don't keep granola bars around the house......) reach for a handful of almonds (unsalted) or baby carrots. They'll fill you up, the almonds are a bit higher in the calorie count but are full of protein which should make you feel satisfied longer. With the carrots you'd pretty much need to gobble the whole bag to need to worry about anything.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Empty the house of all the junk foods for now. Put healthy items in your fridge to snack on like celery, carrots, even nuts like almonds or pistachios.... You need to create an environment that will not allow you to sabotage your success. Once you gain control of your Eating addictions then and only then should you try to introduce some things back into your diet.... Goodluck.....
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Protein. I have a low fat or light string cheese and some dijon mustard. Works for me every time. Good luck!
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You need to find something else to occupy you. Go for a walk, get a hobby, read a book, go window shopping (of shopping if you have the money). When I think I am going to go start snacking I try a a full glass of water first then a piece of gum, if those don't work I brush my teeth cause that make everything taste nasty for a bit. Usually I get past the craving by then.

And I probably shouldn't admit this but more than once I have went to bed early because I was hungry and didn't want to snack. Now the better option would be go for a walk but I live in the frozen tundra and that isn't an option in Feb.

^^^^^Agreed! I do the teeth brushing suggestion as well. Also, don't get comfy. I find if I sit on the floor and stretch, or leg lifts, etc. or even lay on my belly, I can distract myself from late night snacking.
  • neon8919
    Options
    After your dinner, brush your teeth and chew some gum. I had the exact same issue, and this pretty much solved it for me !

I agree! This is what I do, right after dinner I floss and brush my teeth, and then brush again when it gets closer to bedtime.

And if you don't want to brush twice in a row like that use Listerine total care (the floride is not only good for your teeth but it is also another food deterant, you aren't supposed to eat or drink and hour after floride treatments)

Also, drinking warm water has helped me curve my hunger, nothing in it, just warm water.
  • LynneGG
    LynneGG Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    BUMP:smile:
  • stephaniemorris09
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I am on day 10 of no snacking after dinner! I have been brushing my teeth after dinner and getting a lot more house cleaning done in the evening. :-) Also, I read somewhere that it takes 21 days to break a bad habit, so I told myself that if I can make it 21 days without snacking after dinner, I can go get a massage! Almost half way there!
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I am on day 10 of no snacking after dinner! I have been brushing my teeth after dinner and getting a lot more house cleaning done in the evening. :-) Also, I read somewhere that it takes 21 days to break a bad habit, so I told myself that if I can make it 21 days without snacking after dinner, I can go get a massage! Almost half way there!

That's great! Well done, and keep it up.
  • joanlwolf
    Options
    I've gotten rid of the problem foods but gained a new one - peanut butter. I'm going to try giving my husband custody of the peanut butter and not telling me where it is. On advice from someone in my weight loss class, I'm going to go back to drinking a cup of flavored hot tea - 0 calories but helps relax and fills me up a little. The Good Earth original flavor is cinnamon-y - tastes sweet but isn't.
  • FormerSuperHero
    FormerSuperHero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Fantastic ideas, everything I would have suggested has already been said. Maybe same
    Herbal tea that tastes nice but is calorie free