Cyclists: toe clips or clip-less?

Options
Ok, so I've been cycling less than a year and up to this point have just worn my tennis shoes with the pedals that came off of my mountain bike. I recently purchased cleats for the shoes that someone gave me, but I have yet to use them because the thought of clip-less pedals literally terrifies me. I'm doing my first tri in June and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I've considered getting the toe clip pedals because I can still wear tennis shoes with those but still have the benefit of being attached to my pedal. Any thoughts? Have you used toe clips or clip-less or both? Which do you prefer and why?

Replies

• bosquebrewer
    bosquebrewer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming this is on a road bike? If so, I've done all three and clip-less is the way to go. I'm terrified of clip-less on a mountain bike. I tried them but just couldn't get over the the fear and found the benefit was way over shadowed by my timidness. However, on a road bike there really is no issue, they're super easy to unclip. I have toe clips on my single speed road bike and they're ok (better than platform) but I'd go clip-less.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Road bike, yes. My tri coach said I'm not allowed to use toe clips (she was kidding, of course) but I don't see how people just leave their shoes on their pedals, jump on their bike, and go...then you have to change your shoes before you can take off running...just seems like a time-suck...
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Clipless.

They're designed/engineered to be very easy to unclip, and most that I am aware of have a mechanical adjustment to adjust the tension necessary to do so.

Everyone (it seems) falls once with them, rarely with any frequency, usually at the beginning of their use as they simply "forget" -- which is actually more that their body hasn't memorized the action. It does become automatic. I recommend determining which side you are most comfortable unclipping from for a stop, and always using that foot to unclip. It helps the body memorization process.

Your next question may be "what type of clipless system", and that is mostly a matter of preference. For years I road Shimano SPDs but have recently swapped out to Time iClic. No real recommendation -- you may wish to talk to someone at your LBS (local bike shop).

Last, there may be a "dialing in" period where you adjust the location of the plate to your shoe. It won't take long, though, until you find your sweet spot with them.

Good luck.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Clip less all the way. They aren't as scary as they seem.