low carbs high protein

Options
I just started on a low carb high protein kick yesterday to try to put my body into ketosis. My weight loss slowed down in the last 2 weeks and I decided to try something different. I would love to hear about anyones experiences and results from doing this. Any advice?

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I work with low (not no) carbs and high protein consistently. I've lost over 170 lbs...trying to take off an additonal 15 (down to 8 now). My macros are currently set at 30/35/35 for carbs/fat/protein and that's much more carbs than it was when I was in serious weight loss mode.

My carbs come from, for the most part, dairy, fruits and veggies. Monday - Thursday , I do not eat bread, pasta, rice, crackers, etc. Friday through Sunday, I allow myself 1 a day (that's one measured serving...so 1/2 cup a pasta is it). I allow it on the weekends because I tend to go out and don't want to have to be as picky as I usually am. However, many days even through its allowed, I don't think of it as Its a way of life. I'm a high maintenance orderer at a restaurant (think Sally in Harrty met...).

Works for me. But I should warn you, carb withdrawal can be painful. And, I'm now caught that if I "binge" on carbs, I gain big time and feel really sick. Good luck.
  • BonMetz
    BonMetz Posts: 102
    Options
    Mine is set at 5/50/45 carb/protein/fat. works for me I LOVE low carb.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just started on a low carb high protein kick yesterday to try to put my body into ketosis. My weight loss slowed down in the last 2 weeks and I decided to try something different. I would love to hear about anyones experiences and results from doing this. Any advice?

Are you concerned with weight loss or fat loss?
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I just adjusted mine to 35/35/30 protein/carbs/fat. This has been a lot easier to maintain and I know that this will not be a diet, but a lifestyle. Going too low in carbs is just tough to maintain. This is working out great for me.
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Wow, 170- that's awesome!! What are some carb withdrawal symtoms if you don't mind me asking. I had a slight headache last night which is kinda unusal for me and now you got me thinking. Also I have heard inconsistant feedback regarding the rate you lose weight. How was it for you when you were in "serious weight loss mode"?
  • jkuzman
    jkuzman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I currently see a personal trainer and he, somewhat recently, had me switch to a low-carb high-protein diet. I love it! I only do some carve in the morning with a cereal or a bread. I don't eat any carbs in the form of beads, pastas, etc after 3pm. I actually don't eat them after noon. For mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks I have introduced protein shakes. Such as Muscle Milk's Vanilla Creme. It seems to be the tastiest to me. If I'm hungry, the only carbs I eat are in the form of fruits and veggies. Since, I've manipulated my nutrition I've lost 34lbs and 11 inches in the last 3.5 months.

** Good Luck to you! **

~ Jess
  • SmartWhatever
    Options

Well both at the moment but in the long run, fat loss.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Then you really won't get any boost in the fat loss dept from going low carb, assuming you're holding protein and cals constant. You should see some water weight drop off if you go low carb though
    Well both at the moment but in the long run, fat loss.
  • SmartWhatever
    Options
    I currently see a personal trainer and he, somewhat recently, had me switch to a low-carb high-protein diet. I love it! I only do some carve in the morning with a cereal or a bread. I don't eat any carbs in the form of beads, pastas, etc after 3pm. I actually don't eat them after noon. For mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks I have introduced protein shakes. Such as Muscle Milk's Vanilla Creme. It seems to be the tastiest to me. If I'm hungry, the only carbs I eat are in the form of fruits and veggies. Since, I've manipulated my nutrition I've lost 34lbs and 11 inches in the last 3.5 months.

** Good Luck to you! **

~ Jess

Nice to see it working for you! I'm definately gonna stick with it and see what happens. I think the only thing IIll really miss are pretzels... Bye pretzels!
  • ShilohMaier
    Options
    130 pounds off :) I love my low carb lifestyle!!!!
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    As long calories are within range for weight loss, a lower carb diet will produce fat loss just as well as any other diet, and perhaps even better.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You will see both FAT loss and WEIGHT loss. I did it a while back and my body never looked soooo good. So try it for yourself and see!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    First thing I would say to you is that if you really want this to work and stay off you should be sure that you want to do low carb as a lifestyle. It will work in the short run, but if you go back to "normal" eating after you lose the weight, you will probably add some if not all back on! That said, I've chosen low carb as my lifestyle mainly due to illness. I cannot eat most widely available carbs (processed foods) as I have Celiacs. My Dr. has me on a high protein plan. I aim for 90+ grams a day of protein and under 100 grams of carbs (I shoot for 60 but don't harangue myself if I'm under 100). My Macro's are set at C/P/F 20/35/45. As you can see by my ticker I've lost A LOT doing this and it's ALL been fat (the Dr. office has a scale that tracks this). You should come join us on the Low Carb Groups. Lot's of great folks on there and lots of good advice too!
  • You need to eat enough carbs so that your body has energy, but not so many that your body stores them as fat. I use the suggested carb intake for the day on MFP as a guideline for that.
  • SmartWhatever
    Options
    First thing I would say to you is that if you really want this to work and stay off you should be sure that you want to do low carb as a lifestyle. It will work in the short run, but if you go back to "normal" eating after you lose the weight, you will probably add some if not all back on! That said, I've chosen low carb as my lifestyle mainly due to illness. I cannot eat most widely available carbs (processed foods) as I have Celiacs. My Dr. has me on a high protein plan. I aim for 90+ grams a day of protein and under 100 grams of carbs (I shoot for 60 but don't harangue myself if I'm under 100). My Macro's are set at C/P/F 20/35/45. As you can see by my ticker I've lost A LOT doing this and it's ALL been fat (the Dr. office has a scale that tracks this). You should come join us on the Low Carb Groups. Lot's of great folks on there and lots of good advice too!

I have always eaten way too many carbs before I started dieting, and that's probably why I gained weight in the first place. I wouldn't crave sweet snacks I would gor for the salty high carb stuff- pretzels, bagels, chips etc. So I am planning on making this a lifestyle change. And thanks! I'll see you in the Low Carbs Groups!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set at 15/25/60 and I aim for 35 net carbs.

I have lost 27.2 lbs pre MFP and since Nov 2011 (when I started MFP) I have only lost 6.4 lbs. But I have lost 21.75"overall since I joined MFP and that makes me a very happy girl!!!!
  • SmartWhatever
    Options
    I have my macros set at 15/25/60 and I aim for 35 net carbs.

I have lost 27.2 lbs pre MFP and since Nov 2011 (when I started MFP) I have only lost 6.4 lbs. But I have lost 21.75"overall since I joined MFP and that makes me a very happy girl!!!!

My macros are pretty close to yours at 10/30/60 and are goals are close as well. I am 223 at my last weigh in and hope to get down to 140. Wanna race? Lol
    Hey, I just realized I can eat bacon! In moderation of course, but bacon!
  • gemini2267
    gemini2267 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you are committed to living a low carb (not no carb) lifestyle than I think this will work. I've lost 31 additional pounds since I've started a low carb/ high protein diet. I'm committed to the lifestyle and I think you lose fat, not just water weight. Try and see what works for you.

Oh, I lose the 31 additional pound is 2.5 mos! My MFP settings are 30% Carbs, 30% Fat, 40% Protein. It works!
  • Dahavol
    Options
    Low carb or low fat, there really is no speed advantage to one over the other when calories are the same. However, some people find that the low carb feels better and is therefore easier, and some find it terrible. Also note that ketosis is not really a desired end state, and is rather a by product of low carbs. You can fall into the line of thinking espoused by some, that ketosis means that my body can store fat, and therefore calories don't matter. This is wrong and leads to low carb diet failures. Instead ketosis is merely the body adapting to provide for the tissues that need glycogen and the lack of the typical source of that glycogen(carbs).

There is no magic, although higher protein diets tend to blunt hunger some in many people, and that can be it's own boost in the ability to stick to a caloric deficit.