Walking vs Other Exercises

Options
Hi, everyone! I'm still new to the forum. Just started yesterday. Although I did start exercising seriously as of Tuesday. I have a treadmill and that's what I have started using to exercise with. I walk 30 minutes at 2.0 - 2.5 mph. I burn around 175 calories.

Should I try to walk more? This really wears me out though cuz Im not used to it. How long should I stick with the thirty minutes? And with walking?

Are there other simple exercises that I can as well? Something that doesn't require further equipment? I'm kind of lacking on space and money for it.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Edit: Also is it better to eat BEFORE I exercise when I get home from work or after? I've been eating after...

Replies

• AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here have started couch to 5K. Maybe you should look it up, it might be something you would be interested in. and 30 minutes every second day is a great start. your body needs time to adjust and to recover, give it thats chance. Checkout the threads you might want to start some other challenges like the ab challenge or the 100 pushup challenge. Any way welcome to MFP and yo're doing great!
  • LovelessSoubi
    Options
    A lot of people here have started couch to 5K. Maybe you should look it up, it might be something you would be interested in. and 30 minutes every second day is a great start. your body needs time to adjust and to recover, give it thats chance. Checkout the threads you might want to start some other challenges like the ab challenge or the 100 pushup challenge. Any way welcome to MFP and yo're doing great!

Is exercising every day a bad thing? >.<
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Keep up with the walking for now. Your body will start to crave more once it's ready for more.

If you really want to see about adding other things, you can start some light strength training; check youtube or exercisetv.com for different workouts and use soup cans or water bottles.

Else, just walk for now.

I wouldn't worry about eating before your workout unless you're actually hungry.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Is exercising every day a bad thing? >.<

You can walk every day, IMO.

Once you increase your intensity, you're going to want to start adding in either a rest day or stretch day once a week.
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    Don't push yourself too hard! 30 minutes of walking is great anyhow and as more time passes you'll be able to handle more excersise! Since I have no equipment (have curves though) at home I walk, and I do leg squats and crunches as often as I can!!!
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Great job ! I don't think walking every day is a bad thing. You are going preety slow so I would try to bump up your speed as it feels comfortable to do so. I walk everyday. I walk outside. 14 minute miles . I usually walk 5 miles a day but today I walked 7. Walking is a GREAT exercise but to burn any real amount of calories you have to be speedy. Good luck- Cindy :heart:
  • Lorann
    Lorann Posts: 107
    Options
    I started this lifestyle change 2 months ago and when I started I was only walking at 2 - 2.5 mph for 20 - 30 minutes a day ... I did that for a couple weeks and kept upping the time and speed ... I am now at 40 minutes in the morning at 3 - 3.5 mph and then I walk again in the evening for 40 - 60 minutes. This has been working for me :smile: Just slowly increase your speed and time so your body can get use to it.

I hope this helps :smile: good luck on your journey!
  • LovelessSoubi
    Options
    Great job ! I don't think walking every day is a bad thing. You are going preety slow so I would try to bump up your speed as it feels comfortable to do so. I walk everyday. I walk outside. 14 minute miles . I usually walk 5 miles a day but today I walked 7. Walking is a GREAT exercise but to burn any real amount of calories you have to be speedy. Good luck- Cindy :heart:

I tried walking at 3.0 mph but it wears me out inside of thirty seconds. >.> I think I'll stay with the 2.5 mph for the thirty minutes until my legs dont feel like theyre going to fall off. lol.

Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement and suggestions. I'm not sure about that couch to 5k at this point. My doctor said I shouldn't do anything too strenuous until Ive lost some weight cuz it would be bad on my joints. But I know that even just walking for the 30 minutes at the rate I have been going is still going to help in some ways. I just want to make sure I'm actually losing is the thing.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill along with DVD's. Walking everyday is fine but if you feel like you need a break then take a day or two off. The speed you are walking at is fine if it is getting your heart rate up. When you're ready you can bump up the speed or the incline. I personally bump up the incline rather than walk faster. :flowerforyou:
  • buttabean14
    Options
    I've been walking 30 minutes every night, and usually make around 2 miles. I walk outside though-treadmills always hurt my knee (torn ACL in high school). I have found that I had to bump up my speed in order to really break a sweat and feel like I'm doing something. I have a Nike+ attachment for my iPod and walking shoes that acts as a pedometer/calorie counter etc. Its pretty sweet and a big motivator for me. :smile:
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    walking is great! You should increase not more than 10% each week. Also take at least one day off a week to allow your muscles to recover. The most important thing is to stay with it and the rest will fall into place. You are doing great so far, keep it up!! :flowerforyou: