Vegetarian that has lost almost 100 Pounds, but is also her

Options
I apologize in advance for grammatical and punctuation errors....

I am a vegetarian with PCOS that has went from 262 pounds to 163 pounds. Almost at 100 pounds lost total!! I do take prenatal vitamins and have been losing hair on an off throughout the past year. My diet includes a lot of eggs, nuts and fruits and vegetables. Is there a way to get protein through a supplement? Like in vitamin form (pill) even? I also avoid lactose. So, I drink pure silk coconut milk :) Am I missing something? Any suggestions on what I can take to get more protein or even foods I should eat more of?

Thank You :D

Replies

• aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any pills that you can take for protien but have you looked into protien shakes? And congrats on your weight loss thus far.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Try using whey protein- there are a million different types out there. I use designer whey, which has 100 cals a scopp and 22g of protein. I mix the chocolate protein powder with a cup of coffee and its delicious, tastes like a mocha! You could mix it with milk and get a double whammy of protein too.
  • athensguy
    Options
    You can get protein supplements in the form of powder that you add to other foods. Whey is probably the most popular. It's made from milk, so be careful if you're allergic (not lactose intolerant, though, as it should not have lactose in it). You can also get supplements made from eggs, soy, and other foods.

Tofu is a high protein food. You can search the web for Vegetarian Protein to get other examples.

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • inkdgirl
    Options
    I too am a vegetarian, runner and lactose free.. have you tried the supplement Biotin.. I used it in the beginning when I started losing weight rapidly.. I have since stopped using.. I have lost 130lbs, my hair never fell out... I do not eat eggs or any milky type shakes... I find that if I eat alot of greens and beans my body is good!
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    I go for lots of soy/tofu products! Am also using soy isolate to boost my protein intake (in my soymilk for breakfast, as a postworkout shake etc...)
    Legumes are great, currently loving chickpeas and lentils.

check out my diary, it's public and might give u some ideas =)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've heard biotin is a good supplement for hair and nails.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    For kicks, get your thyroid function tested...a common side effect of hypothyroidism is hair loss.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I've read that tempeh is a great source of protein.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Proteins are organic compounds that are made of amino acids and are broken down in the stomach by enzymes. Proteins are also known as the building blocks of the body. They are found in nearly all the cells and tissues in the body. Proteins make up to 20% of the total body weight and is found in bones, muscles, nails, hair and skin. Proteins are essential for building muscle mass in the body. The human body also makes use of proteins in order to build and repair tissues. Proteins are also essential to build enzymes and hormones in the body. Next to carbohydrates and fats, proteins can be used by the body for energy production. Proteins are also essential to boost the immune system and protect the body against harmful foreign bodies. As there are numerous benefits associated with proteins, one needs to include it in the diet regularly. There is a common misconception that proteins are only found in foods obtained from animal sources. On the contrary, there are large number of protein rich vegetarian foods, that can be included in the vegetarian diet. Here is a list of protein rich foods for vegetarians. Let us take a look.

Protein Rich Foods List for Vegetarians
    There are several fruits and vegetables that are rich in proteins and can be included in the diet for vegetarians. One should note that vegetables, lentils, pulses and beans are rich sources of proteins among the protein rich foods for vegetarians. Fruits, comparatively have lesser amounts of proteins. The following is a list of protein rich foods for vegans.

Vegetables

* Asparagus
    * Broccoli
    * Beets
    * Black-eyed peas
    * Cabbages
    * Cauliflower
    * Celery
    * Carrots
    * Cucumbers
    * Green beans
    * Garlic
    * Lettuce
    * Mushrooms
    * Onions
    * Parsley
    * Potatoes
    * Spinach
    * Sweet potatoes
    * Tomatoes

Fruits

* Avocado
    * Bananas
    * Apples
    * Apricots
    * Blueberries
    * Cherries
    * Grapefruit
    * Peaches
    * Pineapples

Others

* Walnuts
    * Peanuts
    * Raisins
    * Macaroni
    * Noodles
    * Whole wheat spaghetti
    * Cornmeal
    * Tofu
    * Rice

Protein Dosage
    Protein is required in very little amount everyday. Children require 10-12 ounces of servings of proteins everyday; adults require 20-22 ounces of serving of proteins; while older people require 10-12 serving of proteins on a daily basis. Growing children and adolescents have a larger requirement for proteins, as it is essential for building tissues in the body. All the protein rich foods for vegetarians can help in fulfilling this daily requirement of proteins. It is essential to have adequate amount of proteins everyday in order to prevent deficiency diseases like kwashiorkor and malnutrition. A high protein diet is also recommended for those who wish to build muscles. As there are several protein rich foods for vegetarians, one simply has a wide range of options of foodstuffs to choose from. One should include any of the above mentioned foodstuffs in the diet regularly to prevent protein deficiency. One should note that apart from the natural sources of proteins for vegetarians, there are several protein supplements available in the market that can help in gaining the daily required proteins. However, it is advisable to consult the doctor before going for any protein supplements. This is specially applicable in case of people suffering from any chronic disorder and pregnant women.

This was brief information on protein rich foods for vegetarians. It is advisable to plan one's weekly diet in advance to include protein rich foods in the diet everyday, to fulfill the daily requirement of proteins. Lastly, one should note that having a balanced diet can be helpful in gaining all the essential nutrients. Take care!
    By Madhura Pandit
    Published: 7/28/2010
  • bleumanchu
    bleumanchu Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Adding to the thought by scapez regarding thyroid dysfunction:

Hair loss can occur in cycles which can turn out to be perfectly "normal", though no less distressing. Having said that, hair loss can also be a result of any of a variety of endocrine abnormalities/hormone imbalances. An overactive or underactive thyroid is one of the possible culprits.

Talking to your primary care physician would be an excellent first step to ensure there isn't something more insidious than inadequate protein intake at play.

Also, congrats on the weight loss.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Alternatives to Soy: Proteins for Vegetarians

By Kathryn Vercillo

You're a vegetarian (or maybe even a vegan) and you're concerned about getting enough protein in your diet. Perhaps you've been using soy products for years to get the protein you need, but you're looking for some alternatives to soy because the soy supplement is getting old. Maybe there's a health reason that you can't eat soy anymore, such as an allergy, and you want to stick to your vegan principles without further compromising your health by not getting enough protein. Whatever the reason, you're looking for non-soy proteins that are vegetarian-friendly.

Here are some options that you have for getting the protein, sticking to your vegetarian diet and not having to eat soy:

* Wheat grains. Wheat grains are very high in protein and serve as the best non-soy alternative for vegetarians. Vegetarian breads made without dairy will work for vegans as well.

* Pastas. Pastas are another terrific option. Choose non-bleached pasta for the most healthful option. Add protein-rich vegetables to your pasta for additional benefits and better flavor.

* Cereals. Certain cereals are rich in protein and offer a great way to get a good start on the day. Since you can't drink soy milk with them, consider rice milk or another milk alternative. Protein-rich cereals can also be combined with nuts and dried fruits to make trail mix snacks that are high in protein, giving you a protein boost throughout the day.

* Protein-rich vegetables. If you choose your vegetables wisely and prepare them healthfully (eating them raw or steamed lightly), they can be a terrific source of protein. The vegetables you'll want to stock up on for protein purposes include leeks, parsley, chives, and red and green peppers.

* Seaweed. Technically a vegetable, seaweed deserves a category of its own because it is such a popular non-soy choice for proteins. It is added to vegan shakes to boost proteins or can be consumed on its own.

* Seeds. Seeds of all kinds are rich in protein. They can be eaten alone as snacks, combined into trail mix, added as a topping to salads and used as an ingredient in entrees. Sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds are the most popular high-protein seeds.

* Walnuts, almonds and cashews. Nuts aren't as high in protein as seeds but they're another good choice to add to your daily diet to get the protein you need. These ones are highest in protein compared to others.

* Apricots and peaches. Fruit is not generally a great source of protein. But since you probably have some fruit in your regular diet, choose apricots and peaches since they're among the highest in protein content for their food category.

* Health food supplements. There are many special products which are on the market that harness the protein power of some of these other categories. For example, spirulina is a popular health food choice amongst people who like the idea of getting their protein from vegetables or seaweed but who want it conveniently packaged.

Another option is to check out the non-soy vegetarian-friendly protein powders and supplements which are on the market. However, since there are so many natural options available to you, there's no real need to look into this alternative.

* Allergic To Soy
    * Vegetarian Alternatives to Fish Oil
    * Vegetarian Journal's Guide to Vegan Cheese, Yogurt, and Other Non ...
    * Vegetarian non soy protein suplement - Body Building - tribe.net
    * My Suburban Destiny » Blog Archive » Vegetarian Protein and ...
    * non-soy protein sources - VeggieBoards

http://kathrynvercillo.hubpages.com/hub/Alternatives-to-Soy-Proteins-for-Vegetarians
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Try blue diamond almond milk. Its way less sweet than silk coconut milk. I can barely stomach that.
  • shrimpboatcaptn13
    shrimpboatcaptn13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I bought some: Garden of Life Vitamin Code® Raw Iron™ -- 22 mg - 30 Vegetarian Capsules :D

The lady at whole foods thought it may be my iron and not protein at all. She is also Vegetarian , that has lost a significant amount of weight. Thank you all for your help and feedback. I am going to look into the different ideas you all suggested!!

Julia :D
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan.

BEANS BEANS BEANS BEANS.

Make beans your best friend. My favorites are chickpeas, black beans, and kidney beans in chili. They have great amounts of protein and other nutrients (iron, fiber, and vitamins).

Good luck, and CONGRATULATIONS on 99 pounds gone!
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am not schooled on pcos, but is that why you are on pre-natal vatamins? Or are you preggers?
  • shrimpboatcaptn13
    shrimpboatcaptn13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not pregnant LOL :) Just for over all health :D
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like muscle milk protein shake, it taste pretty good and it is lactose free.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hemp hearts, and Rice protein powders are great!
  • CMXL
    CMXL Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian but was raised as one. So my protein intake is always lower than recommended. However, my whole community has subsisted on vegetarian diet for centuries, so it should be okay:) I eat a lot beans and lentils. Please feel free to look at my diary if you like. I am also happy to share recipes.
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your huge loss, I can't wait to have the same result :-)

If you are concerned about dairy being part of a protein shake, try this stuff:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002J0RG2O/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

It's a plant based protein powder that is gluten free and dairy free. I LOVE it! The brand has several 'sweetened' protein powders but I really do like the unsweetened kind. I can mix it in with almond milk and yogurt and it tastes great.

just another option!
    :happy: