Quiona ! ! ! Any one?

Options
Hi friends of the fitness world, how are you? I am well. I bought some quiona to make for me family and I have no clue how to prepare it, any one have any Delish recipes they don't mind sharing?

Replies

• girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's super easy. 2 parts liquid (like chicken stock or water) to 1 part quinoa. You can dry toast it by putting it in your pan on low heat & stirring frequently until it's lightly browned. This will bring out a nuttiness to the flavor, which I really like. Quinoa can be served savory or sweet, so play around with your seasonings & liquids. It can also be served warm or cold. A friend of mine was telling me about a 5 cup salad. 1 cup cooked quinoa, 1 cup each of whatever vegetables you want (she recommends one be tomato so it forms it's own sauce & salsa or dressing for additional flavor.

I found a recipe today that I'm so excited about trying that I've already pinned it. http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2011/03/recipe-for-better-than-moms-chicken.html

Hope this helps!
  • FarmerNikki
    Options
    http://monicanelsonfitness.com/blog/meals/quinoa-mac-n-cheese/print/

I haven't tried that recipe yet but it looks awesome and I'm making it for dinner tomorrow night (though I'll be adding some cauliflower and broccoli to it as well)

Also, look up recipes for pilaf's, tabouleh, or couscous and just replace the grain with quinoa, it's very versatile like that :)
  • branohockey
    branohockey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I always use a chicken or beef stock when making it, otherwise it lacks flavor IMO. Personally I like it just like that as an alternative to rice.

You can make the entire box, eat it hot as a side for dinner and then put the leftovers in the fridge for the next day. Take the cold quinoa, add any veggies you enjoy - carrots, zucchini, cucumbers, green onions, red onions, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, green/red peppers, whatever you enjoy - add a little lemon juice and salt/pepper and you are done! This is a much healthier version of a pasta salad.

YUMMY
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I used it this morning for breakfast. I got the recipe from Allrecipes i think. It was really good but make sure you cool the quinoa long enough. Mine had a little crunch to it (which was ok too).

Good-Morning Banana Nut Cereal
    Rated:
    Submitted By: HomesKillet
    Photo By: Baker Bee
    Prep Time: 5 Minutes
    Cook Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 20 Minutes
    Servings: 1

"Quinoa, rolled oats, and oat bran are cooked into a delicious hot cereal with banana and walnuts to help satisfy you and keep you full."
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1 tablespoon quinoa
    1/2 small banana, sliced
    1 1/2 tablespoons rolled oats
    1 tablespoon oat bran 1 pinch salt
    1 pinch ground cinnamon
    1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Stir the water, milk, and quinoa together in a saucepan; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, or until the quinoa begins to soften. Stir in the banana, rolled oats, oat bran, salt, and cinnamon. Cook, stirring frequently over low heat for 2 to 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts, brown sugar, and vanilla

Quinoa takes on the flavor of whatever food you are cooking but it doesn't have much flavor itself (kind of like rice). I have mixed cooked quinoa to ground turkey when making tacos and I loved it.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Do you remember the stuffed squash recipe? I can dig it up if you want.

Also, make the quinoa, then add some chopped chicken, slivered almonds, green bell peppers, and onions. So yum!!
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I appreciate some of the recipes. I've tried quinoa once and it was absolutely disgusting. I haven't been able to go back to it. Maybe I'll give it another try.
  • chanson104
    Options
    I love quinoa and eat it all the time. I usually roast whatever veges I'm in the mood for -- broccoli, red potatoes, onions, peppers . . . tossed in coconut oil, salt, pepper, garlic; bake at 450 for 20+ minutes -- and mix them in with prepare quinoa. Or the other thing I love to do is simply mix it with salsa. Yummy!
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I like making stuffed peppers with quinoa and whatever veggies I have in the fridge, soy-crumbles, some form of tomato sauce, mix them all together, add a little parmesan and bake them til the peppers are done. Yum yum!:smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to prepare it is with the zest of one lime, a little bit of the juice (juice from the whole lime is too much) and a handful of chopped cilantro.

You can pretty much do anything with it you would do with couscous or rice.

Good stuff
  • Brieve29
    Brieve29 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love Quiona! It has way more flavor than rice (without adding salt) and it is one of the best grains for you. My favorite recipe is Quiona Fried Rice. We added shrimp to the recipe but next time I am going to try it with chicken. Definitely give this recipe a go: http://www.peasandcrayons.com/2012/01/keen-wahhhh-adventures-in-cooking.html