How do U stay under the sugar count????

Options

Replies

• tnb2005
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. I was beginning to believe I had become a sugar addict! I have a sweet tooth, yes, but I can never stay under the sugar limit. I even switched to sugar free pudding and breads and STILL go over. Glad I'm not alone!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'll take my sugars from fruit and natural sources (honey, maple syrup etc) any day and not worry about it, I get the micro-nutrients from the other items in the syrup and honey, the beneficial fiber and good stuff from the various fruits. I don't get those micro-nutrients from a chocolate bar or a hard candy or other refined foods.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Unless diabetic I wouldn't worry about the sugars from fruits and veggies. MFP doesn't separate them from added sugars when accounting for them.

I agree.
  • 1ofthegang
    1ofthegang Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I go over every single day. But I snack on baby carrots all day and drink milk with my breakfast and that usually does it for me. It is just not realistic for me to stress about it any more.
  • aablacknell
    aablacknell Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support. It is great to know that I am not alone. It looks like there are alot of us out there. In will do the best I can.
  • prstark
    prstark Posts: 2
    Options
    How about trying to calculate how much "natural", not refined, sugar you intake on average daily and manually add that number to your existing goals number using the Customize Goals option? Of course, you could calculate the refined sugar and just reverse the equation.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Rarely eating fruit, no dairy or cereal, and sugar free candy are the main components for me.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I am over on sugar every day, sometimes before lunch. I don't eat candy, drink fruit juice or eat cold cereals, which has added sugars. I only eat 2 fruits a day, so it isn't like I'm eating what I shouldn't. The only thing I try to manage is my sodium intake.
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hannahagraham
    Options
    Unless diabetic I wouldn't worry about the sugars from fruits and veggies. MFP doesn't separate them from added sugars when accounting for them.

agree. ...and i wish MFP wouldd make two different catagories.
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. It doesn't seem to matter. I am losing weight so who cares? I am more interested in my carb/ protein and fiber intake. I think that is what matters. Everything is turned to sugar by your body anyway.
  • WilliamJD1950
    WilliamJD1950 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't know what you folks are talking about with respect to Sugars. My screen only shows Carbs, not Sugars. But... I never go over on my carbs. It's easy for me. I just hardly eat anything that is rich in carbs. For example. I probably eat only 6 or 7 slices of bread a week. I never eat fast food that has a bun. When I each Chinese I only eat 1/2 cup of rice. I concentrate on vegetables and protein. If you do that, carbs are not a problem.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it cause most of mine comes from fruits and veggies. Try to just stay away from refined sugars in processed foods.
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    By the way sugar intake is not the key thing you track if you are diabetic anyway. It is carbs.
  • TiltingAtWindmills
    Options
    I am SO very glad you asked this. Thank you! I can't seem to stay under my sugar goal either. A simple bit of healthy fruit puts me right over. Just as you are, I was worried I was doing something wrong, but perhaps not!
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    I don't track sugar. The goals are unrealistic. Fresh fruits are great for you (within reason, of course), but they have natural sugars and put you over the goal very quickly. I still just track the major ones - Calories, Carbs, Protein, and Fat.

The key is to avoid refined sugars. Cakes, cookies, pies, doughnuts, brownies... stuff like that. You want to try to limit those as much as you can (especially since the carbs won't do you any good, either :smile: )

Unless you've got a specific health concern, you should be okay.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said, if there is no medical reason for you to be worried about your sugar...don't worry about it, especially if your sugar sources are fruits and the like.
    Be careful of the processed sugar content in your food though, a lot of products we don't even realize come chock full of sugars like breads and sauces...personally I avoid high fructose corn syrup at all costs.
    Don't avoid fruits just b/c MFP is telling you you're eating too much sugar. Fruits are loaded with extremely beneficial nutrients like Vit C (helps keep your immune system in check and keep scurvy at bay lol) and antioxidants which are important cancer fighters.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    by not eating thigns with sugar in them?
    (was just gonna post that n leave but read some of the other replys by accident)

REALLY!!! REALLY PEOPLE? lol
    sugar doesnt matter at all n you shouldnt watch your sugars unless ur diabetic? really? i feel like im taking crazy pills lmao

i personally have not once in my life heard or seen anyone have a diet called "i eat donuts,candy and pop diet" and loose the weight they want or get lower bodyfat!

my gaaawd im like mad n laughing at the same time lol

almost feels like ppl are trolling!!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I just track calories, protein, fat and carbs. That should be enough.
  • mrh1227
    Options
    Hey! Independent Team Beachbody Coach here with some helpful advice about how to adjust MFP's sugar values to better fit you! Let me just say this that I'm glad to see that you're getting your sugars from natural sources such as grapes. These sources of sugar are more detrimental to be avoided by people with weight issues, but also if they are eaten early in the day may not affect you nearly as much. If you feel that MFP's sugar count is too low, heres a helpful hint: the World Health Organization recommends people have no more than 10 tsps of ADDED sugars per day. However, unless overweight or a diabetic as I saw someone else state, natural sugars are far less harmful to you.

If eaten early in the day, they will be broken down and likely used as energy before the day has passed. At night though, small traces may still remain in your body as you go to sleep. With your metabolism slowing as you sleep, this means that over time, you may develop a sort of extra sugar total in your body that keeps piling up at night. This isn't a major concern, but if you love eating your natural sugars, than continue to do so, just try and limit them to earlier in the day. But avoid additive sugars...always :)