Laxatives, stool softeners, water or nothing? (TMI?)

Options
I know this is TMI for some but I don't give a crap... literally. I haven't gone to the bathroom in 3 days. My fiber intake was super high, I didn't have ANY red meat or much meat at all really. I only started taking a medication again yesterday and it never caused an issue before so I'm assuming it's not that.

But damn! The pants that were so loose a few days ago are tight and my stomach is so bloated.

I'm debating on taking a laxative but I don't know if I'd end up retaining even more water over the next few days.
I don't know if stool softeners would be enough since I've never tried them and I don't know if they do anything with water retention either.
I'm thinking maybe just up my water and see if that helps but I already drink a **** ton. (Apparently not enough of a crap ton though)
Ooooooor should I just wait it out?

Thanks in advance for any input.

p.s. I never have this issue so I'm like a confused little turtle in a bucket of jelly beans. (I don't know what that's supposed to even mean, but it shows my level of confusion.)

Replies

• striveNthrive
    Options
    On a regular basis, I rarely poo...and I figure that isn't exactly normal. However, I have done some research and for some people that is just how things are. My diet has been erratic the last 6 months, but even when I was eating clean (for the most part) and drinking lots of water I still would only poo maybe 2-3 times a week. I have tried laxatives before...might be fine in your case where it's a one time deal, but be prepared for cramping and stay close to a toilet after 10-12 hours of taking it. Stool softeners never worked for me, but I was never regular on them anyway and became expensive. If this doesn't go away, I would ask your doctor.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would say above all else to stop stressing about it. When you get stressed out, your body stops regulating itself.

Three days isn't so long if you're not in pain. I read somewhere (probably here lol) that anywhere between three times a day and three times a week is normal. You can always wait it out or try the laxatives or softeners, and see a doctor if nothing changes or if this becomes chronic.
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would definitly drink more water because the water lubricates your innards (lol) and helps the fiber pass through your body. It wouldnt hurt to take a stool softener and by the end of the day along with the water you should be able to go. I wouldnt do the laxative unless you want bad abdominal pain. Been there done that! Hope this helps.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    1. talk to a doctor.

2. Go to a rite-aid ask for Magnesium Citrate, stay near a toilet and stay very hydrated.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Take some apple cider vinegar. It can help move things naturally and gently.
  • Alexandrea22
    Alexandrea22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Ground flax seed (1/2 - 1 tbsp) mixed in with cereal or oatmeal can help A LOT! Good luck :)
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Up until a few days ago, I was going 1-3 times a day so this is a sudden and pretty drastic change. I'm not really stressing over it, just annoyed at the discomfort and trying to find a way to 'fix' it before it does get bad.

I guess I might be subconsciously stressed because of Midterms coming up but I don't know.
  • christibam
    Options
    1. talk to a doctor.

2. Go to a rite-aid ask for Magnesium Citrate, stay near a toilet and stay very hydrated.

OH GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD I've taken that before and thought my enitre butt was going to fall off into the toilet too. It did work though lmao

I'm seeing a Dr today but not an MD. I guess I could ask his opinion too. Not sure how much help it'll be but I suppose it won't hurt to bring it up.
  • Munque
    Munque Posts: 123
    Options
    Happens to me all the time, I take phillips milk of magnesia at night right before I go to bed, it doesn't wake me up at night or anything, but first thing in the morning, don't make plans, it's over in about 45 min. for me, so I still have time to get ready for work and everything. And if it works for you, you will feel so much better.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Try benefiber. Works like a charm. You buy it in a drugstore. It is like a powder, you put a spoon or two in your morning drink, or into a glass of wayer any time of day. Unlike others of its kind it dissolves in your drink completely and you do not even taste it.
    For water retention the best method for me is to drink a glass of water on an empty stomach. In 20 min you will go and pee. Repeat several times during the day.
    Also think of what may cause your water retention? Do you eat a lot of salt without even noticing? This may happen if you eat canned foods, most of them have a lot of sodium, several times more than what is good.
    Good luck!
  • christibam
    Options
    I had 3,000 mg of sodium the other day when I usually have 2,000-2,500. It didn't seem like a huge jump at the time but I'm thinking even just a 500 mg increase may have done it.

I'm thinking the water retention and constipation are correlated... would that be accurate though?

<noob
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium citrate every night (a small dosage) and I have been very regular... no need to rush to the toliet or anything but now I go at least once a day... (dietician recommended it) :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old has been prescribed Movicol (polyethylene glycol) for a few years now to help with bowel complications due to her premature birth. My wife's 90 year old grandmother also has been prescribed it to ease her problems.

It works for both and you can buy without a prescription. I just googled it and found it on Amazon.

It's a powder and we mix with a little juice or cordial.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Are you eating enough fats?
  • katiew00t
    Options
    If you are increasing your fiber, you need to increase your water intake. To help you with your current problem, try drinking some prune juice. If that doesn't help, I'd recommend milk of magnesia. It can take up to 8 hours to work, but can be very effective. I'm a nurse, and we give M.O.M. if a patient hasn't had a bowel movement in a couple of days. It will get things moving, but could also cause some diarrhea, so stay near a bathroom! For future reference, make sure you're drinking enough water (at least 8 glasses/day) and try eating yogurt with live cultures daily. Good luck!
  • kerilong
    Options
    1. talk to a doctor.

This is fairly accurate - best advice you've been given. If you used to poop everyday and now it has been 3 days that is not normal for YOUR body. Magnesium supplements are a great way to lower stress levels and regulate you. I suggest checking out a nutrition store and getting something called "Natural Calm" http://www.vitacost.com/Peter-Gillham-Natural-Vitality-Natural-Calm

You start off taking 1 tsp a day and then up it SLOWLY. It won't make you react nearly as watery as a stool softener.
  • christibam
    Options
    Bleh. I guess I won't be taking anything besides trying to drink more water and taking essiac tonic supplement. (natural detox thing) My therapist advised against laxatives today until I see an M.D. because I've lost "too much weight" since I saw him two weeks ago. :\

Hopefully this will at least make me go once. It usually makes me go a tiny bit easier when I'm already going... so I guess I'll see.

Thanks for the help and advice, everyone. I'm hoping I won't need it again in the future but I've made a mental note of what to do if it happens again. :)
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Miralax it's safe for childern and for adults to use everyday.
  • christibam
    Options
    Miralax it's safe for childern and for adults to use everyday.

I guess preventing it would be better than dealing with it later if it happens again. Is it an actual laxative or something with a lot of fiber? I'm thinking I might go the fiber route for something daily.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If you're uncomfortable, I say take a laxative. Taking them often isn't good for you, but sometimes I feel like it's the best thing you can do.

Also, I'd suggest taking acidophilus or another probiotic every day. Or even a fiber supplement like metamucil or citrucel.