95 days and Fustrated

Options

Replies

• SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Here's some of my advice from personal experience, but everyone's different, so take it with a grain of salt. I have been doing this for 9 weeks and am now down 6.5 pounds. I spent about three weeks hovering around the -4 pound mark. I exercise 6 days a week doing both cardio and weights and usually burn about 500-700 calories a day. This week I decided to set my base calorie goal to my BMR and then on exercise eat over that by 200-300 calories.

I have found that since I exercise a lot, it all comes down to my diet. I am now in a healthy BMI range, so it's really hard to keep the scale budging in the right direction. I always see results through measurements before I see results on the scale. Before when I was stuck, I was eating a lot more processed foods and was not as good at counting calories. For instance, I'd constantly have a bite here or there of granola and log improperly, so that's a very high calorie food that adds up quickly without noticing. I have also paid more attention to sodium and sugar intake while increasing protein. Hope this helps...
  • Joannguido
    Options
    don't know how much you need to lose, but working out (strength training) 5 days is a lot. you are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. Strength train every other day and go for a long walk or jog on the off days. I also agree that you need to shake up your routine. upper on day lower one day, and abs. I usually go by how my clothes fit, because I too am having trouble with those last 5 pounds. I just blame it on my scales, they are ALWAYS both different. Good luck and don't give up. And don't weigh every day
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? You could be losing fat but gaining muscle.

I agree with the above....but also if you have never tried "spike" days it might help. Be super good for 6 days in a row and then have one day of no logging and eating to your hearts content. It works for me :flowerforyou:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Can't see your carb count but I think it's high. Decrease carbs and increase protein. You may also be eating too much. Some days you eat less but mostly more.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same too. I do everything right and still nothing. In a little over a month, I'm still pretty much where I started. I extra frustrated this morning because I weight myself on Tuesday, 134.5, today 136. I was doing P90X for three weeks saw no difference, so this past weeks I've only been doing intense cardio, still nothing. I feel like crying!
  • Joannguido
    Options
    I agree. all this "healthy diet packaged food" is not really healthy. Stick with fresh. It tastes better and is better for you!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Hard to give any advise without seeing your meal diary.

I opened my diary...keep in mind he numbers are a little screwed up from always changing my goal. Thank you

If you're always changing your goal, then that's probably why, you should try sticking to one goal.
  • nashtyone
    Options
    I would add SUGAR into your food diary. I think you will be shocked at how much sugar you are taking. Just changing up something like that can break the cycle and get your metabolism cooking again.
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    A few questions for everyone struggling:

1. How often do you weigh yourself?
    2. When do you weigh yourself?
    3. Is your "routine" up to your weigh-in the same each week?
    4. How much water are you drinking per day?
    5. How strenuously are you exercising?
    6. How much of the weight is fluid retention from intense workouts cardio or strength?
    7. Have you ever tracked the above information so you know what is going on with your body?

There are other signs you should watch for that will help you to decipher what your body is going through during your weight loss, these are just a few.
    1) Daily which is a little depressing cecause one day I am down 2 lbs and the next up to pounds
    2) 1st thing in the morning usually around 9 am every weigh in
    3) ??
    4) 8-12 cups a day
    5) sweating within in 5 minutes
    6)I don't know
    7) yes
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much weight are you aiming to lose? If your goal is too aggressive, you may not be eating enough. Also, can you add carbs to your diary. Additionally, do you know if you have anything like PCOS?
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    How many pounds are you looking to loose and how many per week? The only thing I really notice is that you are not eating to your net calories. Some days you aren't even getting 1200 cals total before exercise. Even if you don't eat all your exercise cals, shoot for net cals of at least 1200. Maybe decreasing your loss/week to 1# will help to jump start an weight loss (by eating more cals).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm feeling the same too. I do everything right and still nothing. In a little over a month, I'm still pretty much where I started. I extra frustrated this morning because I weight myself on Tuesday, 134.5, today 136. I was doing P90X for three weeks saw no difference, so this past weeks I've only been doing intense cardio, still nothing. I feel like crying!

I can tell you for a fact you aren't eating enough. P90X requires a lot of nutrition and women are recommended to eat no less than 1800 calories. And since you don't have to lose much weight. Bump your calories to 1800 for a month and track you progress.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I agree with others to display your carb calories.
  • MollyDukes
    Options
    I had the same problem as you. The first 7 months (from Dec. 2010 to July 2011) I lost 7 pounds (and gained 4 pounds back) and was strict with my eating like you but the weight was going nowhere. I had a thyroid test done and it said normal also, but eventually found out I DID have an underactive thyroid. Also, have your leptin and insulin levels checked. Those were my two biggest problems. If you have any kind of sugar issues, thyroid issues, etc. the results will be what you are experiencing. Start there and see if your doctor can get to the bottom of what's really going on with you. If you find out you do have any of these problems, the first thing I was told to do (by an MD) was to cut out eating all fruits. Also, A LOT of veggies are off limits such as sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, corn, brown/white rice, pasta, breads, etc. I know that others on here will say that natural sugar is okay, but for someone with sugar issues, they are not. Your body will see it as sugar no matter what type it is. It's important to get it out of the diet. Good luck to you. I really hope those are NOT your issues, and if so, I hope you get to the root of what is causing you to be stuck.

One last thought. Even if you are staying under calorie, it is very important not to eat processed foods. I realize you said you do most of your cooking at home so that's great, but be careful about how much you cook out of a box or can. Fresh and/or frozen is much better.

I always get tested for these things because diabetes and thyroid problems run in the family....so far so good. but thank you
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that, in my case...if I consume more than 1200 calories or do not leave at least a 200 calorie deficit after exercise, I gain. What is the lowest you have had your goal set?
  • MollyDukes
    Options
    How many pounds are you looking to loose and how many per week? The only thing I really notice is that you are not eating to your net calories. Some days you aren't even getting 1200 cals total before exercise. Even if you don't eat all your exercise cals, shoot for net cals of at least 1200. Maybe decreasing your loss/week to 1# will help to jump start an weight loss (by eating more cals).

Since switching to whole wheat I have had a hard time eating my calories...it makes me full. If I chose to lose 2 lbs a week MFP says to consume 1200 and if I chose to lose 1 lbs a week it says 1530. BUT other more popular calculations puts me even high. :ohwell:
  • paigemarie93
    Options
    All I can say is that, in my case...if I consume more than 1200 calories or do not leave at least a 200 calorie deficit after exercise, I gain. What is the lowest you have had your goal set?

I'm the same.
  • paigemarie93
    Options

Since switching to whole wheat I have had a hard time eating my calories...it makes me full. If I chose to lose 2 lbs a week MFP says to consume 1200 and if I chose to lose 1 lbs a week it says 1530. BUT other more popular calculations puts me even high. :ohwell:

Try 1200, I'm on 1200 for 2lb weight loss a week & I lose 1lb a week or every two weeks because of my BMR & TDEE.
    So give 1200 a try & don't eat back all of your exercise cals.
    Last week I at over by 200 for about 3 days & gained 3lbs.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

I do know that when you exercise and especially use your muscles that your muscles hold water to help repair themselves, so I'm holding onto that :D
    Yes, but you need to know when your muscles and body give up that fluid. If you weigh yourself at the wrong time, the scale will drive you nuts.

that's what I would love to know!!

Do I just keep going and doing what I am doing?? and one day in a few weeks I'll notice a big difference??

Also my diary is open to public if anyone can help in that regards
  • MollyDukes
    Options
    I too have struggled with the up/down challenges.

You might find some insight in this article.

7 Ways to Pass Your Weight Loss Plateau
    What to do when you hit the weight loss wall, and how to get over it.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/health/Weight-Loss-Advice-Fitness-Plateau-Dr-Katz#ixzz1nJVCscp0

Thank You