Hello from Texas

Options
Noob here. Found this on BlackBerry app world and decided to give it a whirl. The doc and the insurance nag nurse are after me to lose some weight, so I guess I need to buckle up and do it. Plus, SWMBO has been using this site and has lost 20 lbs. so far.

Not too sure about a couple of things, so any advice or links are appreciated:

Fitbit - worth the time and effort?

Barcode Scanner for Blackberry? Doesn't seem to be available, but I sure would like the accuracy it would provide.

Any suggestions for a exercise routine for an older guy that struggles with joint pain (jogging, jumping rope are out)?

Thanks.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. Water aerobics is a good way to get your exercise without stressing your joints.:drinker:
  • karab19
    Options
    Good luck with this. It's been a lifesaver for me! And I've had two knee surgeries and have some hip issues so a lot of jumping and etc are out for me as well. I enjoy doing indoor cycling. It's very low impact and you control the resistance on your bike. I take classes at my local gym. It's been great! Have a great weekend!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Welcome, this is an excellent site, with the tools that make this journey easier, including supportive people.
    I don't use the FitBit, but I recommend some form of mechanical calorie burning measurement. There is a whole lot of accurate food, information, but the exercise information, I'm not so sure about.
    Don't give up on running just yet. I too thought running was out, but I'm able to go 3 miles without stopping, and my joint pain has actually improved!
    Good luck to you.
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Howdy From Texas,

I have bad knees so I started with just walking. Start low with maybe 20-30 mins. Depending on what you can do. I prefer to walk outside however also living in Texas the weather is not always the best. I can handle cold and hot (until it gets in the 90's and above) just no rain and lighting. Ellipticals are super for joint pain. You burn more caleries in less time. Good Luck.
  • deb4259
    Options
    Hello back to you from Texas as well!

Can't tell you about fitbit YET .... but I do have it on order and should be receiving very soon. I've always loved having something that will actually give me accurate measurable feedback.

Good for you in joining. I'm a newbie myself, having just really started a couple of days ago, but really, just getting myself in the proper mind frame yesterday.

As far as exercise for low impact: Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds. In fact, I'm about to go in a do a 3 mile walk. She's just started a challenge on facebook. Just search for the above "Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds." I have the dvd's but I understand that there will be a streaming video on the Walk Social portion.

Best of luck to you!
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Born and Raised Texan Here! Welcome!
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi from the UK!
    Welcome and good luck on your jouney I hope it goes well xx
  • deb4259
    Options
    Okay, now that I've had the fitbit for a few days here, just going to say: LOVE IT!!! It was super easy to set up, I love that I can still journal my food and exercise here on mfp and it communicates with fitbit. I love that I can also track my numbers for glucose on the fitbit site -- and that it monitors my sleep even! Yep, I'd say I'm in love with it.