Trying to shake the idea of eating carbs!

Options

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Wow. If you want to go no carb (ie less than 20g a day) find a solid diet structure that includes exercise. I liked Shelby Starnes' ebook on very low carb dieting. Truth be told there are macro rules that apply to everyone and then very individual rules that you have to figure out. Macro is cals in less than cals out. There are select instances people will throw out there but for the most part this rule is universal. After that you need to tinker with your macros. I grew up in a house where a fatty meat and 2 starches were on the table nightly. My body doesn't deal too well with that. My other siblings, no problem. As I got older and researched diet I found that reducing carbs in general and eliminating most high GI carbs was in my best interest. This may not be the case for you. Dieting is a lot oftaking a framework that is proven to work and experimenting with that framework. I always recommend a 40/40/20 split to start and then tinker.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    Don't go without carbs. Carbs are essential for proper brain function and should definitely be eaten with each meal....especially breakfast and lunch.

The trick is to eat everything in moderation!

'Dieting' is a bad word to me.... Eating right is the way to go...a healthy diet is for life.

Focus on eating less calories then you expend...and you will still be able to eat carbs and lose weight.

Carbs are not essential for proper brain function. Your body will do just fine with protein and fats. That said, some carbs are alright in any diet, but if you're sedentary, staying low on them will make a weight loss diet easier.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You need to eat complex catbs, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains... complex carbs are slow dissolving and help regulate blood sugar and prevent insulin spikes. Carbohydrates is what also gives your body the energy to function every day, helps your brain, and also helps break down fats and helps bring protein into the muscle. All of the macronutrients work together in a system, with not enough of one it throws everything out of wack, and too much of another is just as bad. You just have to stay away from Simple carbs, no soda's, no pizza, no packaged foods, no sweets, etc.... Things high in fiber are the way to go, Oatmeal is one of the best whole grain complex carbs you can eat. When you don't hardly eat any carbs all you are losing is lean muscle mass, you are not losing fat mass, that is why you have the weight gain when you start eating them again. Low carbs is only temporary weight loss, if you want long term weight loss you have to eat at least 45% complex carbs. I use to be high protein low carbs and it took forever to get in shape, when I switched to fruits, veggies, and whole grains as well as protein and healthy fats it didn't take long at all to become a lean machine. I am at 6.1% body fat now.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You need to eat complex catbs, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains... complex carbs are slow dissolving and help regulate blood sugar and prevent insulin spikes. Carbohydrates is what also gives your body the energy to function every day, helps your brain, and also helps break down fats and helps bring protein into the muscle. All of the macronutrients work together in a system, with not enough of one it throws everything out of wack, and too much of another is just as bad. You just have to stay away from Simple carbs, no soda's, no pizza, no packaged foods, no sweets, etc.... Things high in fiber are the way to go, Oatmeal is one of the best whole grain complex carbs you can eat. When you don't hardly eat any carbs all you are losing is lean muscle mass, you are not losing fat mass, that is why you have the weight gain when you start eating them again. Low carbs is only temporary weight loss, if you want long term weight loss you have to eat at least 45% complex carbs. I use to be high protein low carbs and it took forever to get in shape, when I switched to fruits, veggies, and whole grains as well as protein and healthy fats it didn't take long at all to become a lean machine. I am at 6.1% body fat now.

It works because when you eat a good amount of carbs it frees up the protein and fat you eat to be used for tissue repair and maintenance, rather than energy. Cutting carbs forces your body to convert the protein and fat you eat into glucose through gluconeogenesis, and then, after the energy needs are filled, whatever happens to be left over can be used for other purposes (if you're in a calorie deficit, there won't be any left over.) If you eat a steady supply of carbs for the body to burn as glucose, it frees up the protein and fat for immediate uptake and utilization.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    OK so the whole idea of dieting is warped in my mind because I have done the yo-yo with no carbs the past couple of years. I do great on no carbs and loose weight fast however, when I go back to carbs I gain double the weight. So it has been hard for me to believe that with in reasonable portions I am aloud to eat carbs! I also like to try and avoid sugars unless they are natural from my fruit. Any one else struggle with this?

How about you learn to eat a balanced diet that contains the carbs that you obviously enjoy, lose a little slower and get off the yo-yo?

Just a suggestion :flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Just think of it this way: what you've done before didn't work, so there's no point in looking at what you're doing now and worrying that it's different.
  • BeepRocks
    Options
    I still eat some carbs....but I have cut out the breads. Instead of bread for a sandwich I use lettuce. I will have a slice of pizza here and there. But, just doing away with most of the breads has helped me a lot. And I eat fruit.....but not in huge quantities.....the sugar in them if consumed to much is going to sabotage your diet.
  • CindySchooley
    Options
    I agree, I just joined this week and your story sounds just like mine.................So glad I'm not alone on this. It is really hard to think
    it is OK to eat carbs.........
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For the majority, the type of carb is more important than the amount. Processed or added sugar and overly processed grains are not healthy in large amounts. But vegetables, fruits and minimally processed whole grains are part of a well balanced healthy diet.
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    OK so the whole idea of dieting is warped in my mind because I have done the yo-yo with no carbs the past couple of years. I do great on no carbs and loose weight fast however, when I go back to carbs I gain double the weight. So it has been hard for me to believe that with in reasonable portions I am aloud to eat carbs! I also like to try and avoid sugars unless they are natural from my fruit. Any one else struggle with this?

How about you learn to eat a balanced diet that contains the carbs that you obviously enjoy, lose a little slower and get off the yo-yo?

This! :)

I love my carbs - love bread and pasta and fruit and all that good stuff. I still have sandwiches but nowadays I have wheat and white tortilla wraps instead of 2 slices of bread - just as filling and a whole lot more fun in preparation! :D I'm working on muscle gain and fat loss rather than just losing weight so I'm losing slowly but plan on it staying off when I'm not doing crazy amounts of exercise (currently exercising 5 nights a week) - I cannot continue to exercise this much always so by working on food and swapping things slowly I can continue to do it.
    Not sure this was much use but just wanted to say that rather than going back to what you've done before, knowing it wasn't sustainable, you should look for new things to do :)
  • jaimebea
    Options
    I'm glad I posted this thread, and thanks for all the good advice! It deffinately all come down to mind over matter a?! Thanks Peeps!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

No offense but why? Food, nutrition, macros are tools to be manipulated like a workout. If someone wants to jump start fat loss by using a ketogenic diet why not?
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    The low-carb and no-carb thing has never worked for me. I just make sure to incorporate healthy carbs, like whole grains and fruit. For breakfast, I'll usually have greek yogurt with berries and a little bit of Kashi Go Lean cereal on top. For lunch, a sandwich made with a whole wheat sandwich thin is definitely satisfying. I'll usually stay away from carbs at dinner time. An apple or a banana is also a great source for carbs if you need some energy but don't want a starchy carb.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    <---- Eats carbs and doesn't track sugar, since most comes from fruit (including the dreaded bananas). Shed over 130 pounds, 100 inches, and dropped her body fat from 56% to 22%

Don't be afraid of carbs. They aren't evil. Nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, plenty of water, and regular exercise are how you get and stay healthy for a lifetime.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Four words: water weight and glycogen

Give sensible balanced eating a try for a couple of months.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs. There are many different ways to lose weight. Good luck to you op.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Four words: water weight and glycogen

Give sensible balanced eating a try for a couple of months.

ding ding ding
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options

No offense but why? Food, nutrition, macros are tools to be manipulated like a workout. If someone wants to jump start fat loss by using a ketogenic diet why not?
    Because the OP has stated that when the cut carbs, and they introduce them back in, it has been a problem. Speaking to her SPECIFIC problem, calories are obviously the most important for weight loss (in vs. out)... but if she slowly changes her ratio instead of radical changes, it may help her have a long-term lifestyle change instead of a temporary diet.

**EDIT - OP, I'd also like to reinforce what others have said, and try just doing balanced nutrition with less calories and see how you fare long-term
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    My thoughts from another endless carb debate in another thread:

And this is really the crux of things in my opinion. Anyone saying that building a better body and better health is solely about calories is very misguided. Obviously a calorie deficit comprising nothing but gum drops and jujubes isn't going to promote leanness and health as well as a diet comprising lean meats, abundant veggies and fruits, a balance of saturated, mono and polyunsaturated fats, etc.

At the end of the day though, I think you'd be hard pressed to show me sufficient peer-reviewed academic research that shows people losing weight in a calorie surplus or gaining weight in a calorie deficit, assuming we're talking about tissue weight and non-diseased people. But who cares about that since we're not here solely for weight loss. People, knowingly or not, are more interested in health and body composition.

And this latter focus requires calorie control AND nutrient control. One without the other is a pointless proposition. Anyone who's arguing that there aren't nutrient needs that need to be accounted for independently of calorie intake is sorely mistaken.

The people claiming that "all calories aren't the same" aren't grasping the specifics. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie... just as a meter is a meter. A calorie is merely a unit of measurement. You're confusing nutrients with calories... they aren't interchangeable. Nutrients provide our bodies energy that, for the time being, we quantify with an outdated metric known as the atwater system and calories. Yes, nutrients are not created equal in the "body's eye" which should be obvious to anyone. But that's not the same as saying, "all calories are not equal."

When you delve into the research pertaining to nutrient manipulation, if there are any clear trends, it's that there is no One Way that's right for everyone. People who espouse high carb diets to everyone are misguided just as people who espouse low carb diets to everyone are misguided. Individually tailoring a diet to the individual in question is a must if lasting change is going to be realized.

We've data out there supporting the idea that low carbohydrate approaches are better for some while higher carbohydrate approaches are better for others, further exemplifying why any blanket recommendations are sort of silly. Anyone who works with a wide array of folks in the fat loss setting can vouch that a myriad of diets work depending on the person and the situation. I can say this... in my experience, lower carb approaches tend to work best for my obese clients and by and large, moderate carb approaches tend to work best for my leaner clients. This most likely has something to do with insulin resistance/sensitivity issues which has already been mentioned in this thread.

And if you're truly trying to show that there is some sort of metabolic advantage for anyone eating low carb, you need to wait for sufficient research to be conducted comparing low vs. moderate or high carb approaches THAT MATCH protein and calories. The research simply isn't there yet though. James Krieger, an author and published researcher whom I highly respect and communicate with, put it perfectly when he said:

1. The proposed metabolic advantage (MA) for low carb diets is a hypothesis, not a fact
    2. There is inadequate data to support the MA hypothesis
    3. There is inadequate data to reject the MA hypothesis
    4. The MA hypothesis does not trump the concept of energy balance. It postulates inefficiencies in energy metabolism, which would translate to an increase in measured energy expenditure (due to heat loss) in a living organism. Thus, if the MA was true, "calories out" would increase for a given "calories in".
    5. A definitive study examining 24-hour energy expenditure (using room calorimetry), comparing a ketogenic diet to a traditional diet (with matched protein intake) for subjects in an energy deficit, has not been performed. This is the only study that will adequately test the MA hypothesis in humans
    6. Weight loss still requires an energy deficit. If a MA exists, it still cannot make up for an energy surplus or energy balance. To assert otherwise is to assert that energy can be created or destroyed out of thin air, or that human tissue can be created in the absence of any energy input.

Mind you, his published paper on MA actually supports the MA hypothesis.

And what about insulin? Yea, it's true that having elevated insulin levels blocks fat oxidation and lipolysis on a meal by meal basis. But what happens if, say, you eat one huge meal and spike insulin to the moon, store fat, shut off lipolysis, etc. and then don't eat again for the rest of the day?

If that one meal was only 1,000 calories and you need 2,500 a day to cover your total daily energy expenditure, why exactly is the body just going to hang on to those calories when it needs them to survive?

And this doesn't even begin to factor in things like rate of digestion... eating even a high-carb diet does not necessarily imply chronically elevated insulin. And low carb zealots (not suggesting you're a zealot) tend to look at things in a vacuum... insulin promotes fat storage, carbs spike insulin, therefore carbs make us fat. They leave out, as already mentioned, the myriad factors that also play a role in fat metabolism such as acylation stimulation protein, catecholamines, HSL, etc.

As I noted above, in the game of weight loss it is about thermodynamics before anything else. In the game of body composition and health, it's much more complex however.

For anyone interested in learning more about insulin and its relation to lipogenesis, I can't recommend Jame Krieger's series on it which you can find here:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

That's part 1 and you can continue on to the other parts from it.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    <---- Eats carbs and doesn't track sugar, since most comes from fruit (including the dreaded bananas). Shed over 130 pounds, 100 inches, and dropped her body fat from 56% to 22%

Don't be afraid of carbs. They aren't evil. Nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, plenty of water, and regular exercise are how you get and stay healthy for a lifetime.

...^^ totally agree!! I eat a ton of carbs and don't track sugar because the only sugar I get is from healthy fresh fruits and vegetables.