Why you always gotta bust my balls?

Options

Replies

• Dahavol
    Options
    If it wasn't for that I think everyone would still be spouting off "eat 6 meals a day to rev metabolism" and other BS xD

The reports of this way of thinking's demise were have been greatly exaggerated. Still hear that one daily.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If it wasn't for that I think everyone would still be spouting off "eat 6 meals a day to rev metabolism" and other BS xD

The reports of this way of thinking's demise were have been greatly exaggerated. Still hear that one daily.

I have been here for a while (different profile) and trust me used to be much much worse! So much broscience. I think more studies and arguments did decrease it quite a bit ^-^
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

If you don't eat every 2.674 hours, your metabolisms will SHUT DOWN.....

(but don't eat after 7).

confused-dog.jpg
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    So you are looking for platitudes, duly noted

No. I urge you to know your audience. Make sure they can understand what you are talking about and benefit from what you are saying.

It is pretty simple. I appreciate your reply. :-)I think it helped a few people.

So, dumb things down? Spoon feed?

Hopefully grown adults are here to learn about improving their nutrition & fitness. Hopefully, they have some reading comprehension and the ability to synthesize information. This isn't rocket science. It doesn't take a college graduate to figure out how to think critically and learn how to look up some info from trusted sources (PubMed and peer reviewed studies, etc) and know how to go about discerning the difference between fact & opinion... and just pure sensationalism & junk science.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

(but don't eat after 7).

confused-dog.jpg

No, you're completely wrong! If you don't eat past 7, you'll lose your muscle mass!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

(but don't eat after 7).

confused-dog.jpg

No, you're completely wrong! If you don't eat past 7, you'll lose your muscle mass!

I like when people quote studies... but.... AWWWW! I like puppies too :3
  • Akjenn89
    Akjenn89 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Basically because this

duty_calls.png

Wh-wh-what? Those people actually have significant others? (Jussst kidding).
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    According to peer reviewed literature, people generally read what they want to read, in a nutshell. (Tewksbury, 2003).

Reference

Tewksbury, D. (December 01, 2003). What Do Americans Really Want to Know? Tracking the Behavior of News Readers on the Internet. Journal of Communication, 53, 4, 694-710.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    According to peer reviewed literature, people generally read what they want to read, in a nutshell. (Tewksbury, 2003).

Reference

Tewksbury, D. (December 01, 2003). What Do Americans Really Want to Know? Tracking the Behavior of News Readers on the Internet. Journal of Communication, 53, 4, 694-710.
    ben-franklin.jpg
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I only "bust" someone's "balls" when they're trying to convince people that their way is "the truth". I get so sick of all the aspartame is EVIL! Splenda is POISON! Sugar is TOXIC. CARBS cause diabetes! and on and on and on.

Because that alarmist bull**** can cause harm. Yes, harm, because someone who does well on carbs might suddenly decide they *HAVE* to give them up, thereby complicating their lives and making it less likely that they'll stick to a diet.

And if they can't stick with the diet, they won't lose the weight.

And if they don't lose the weight, they'll have to deal with all the physical complications that come from being overweight.

Hence, harm.

That's worth busting someone's balls over.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    So you are looking for platitudes, duly noted

No. I urge you to know your audience. Make sure they can understand what you are talking about and benefit from what you are saying.

It is pretty simple. I appreciate your reply. :-)I think it helped a few people.

So, dumb things down? Spoon feed?

If you are trying to help someone who is starting out? Yes. That's just common sense.
  • msapril177
    msapril177 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree with you....I believe EVERYTHING I read online
    :wink:

So you're telling me that the coffee and cigarette diet won't work afterall?!?!

Darn.

Oh well, I don't smoke anyway. :happy:
  • matthewparmenter
    Options
    I had to do weeks of research to figure out what people were talking about.

Sounds like you should be thanking the science posters for motivating you to get your learn on! :wink:
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I only "bust" someone's "balls" when they're trying to convince people that their way is "the truth". I get so sick of all the aspartame is EVIL! Splenda is POISON! Sugar is TOXIC. CARBS cause diabetes! and on and on and on.

Because that alarmist bull**** can cause harm. Yes, harm, because someone who does well on carbs might suddenly decide they *HAVE* to give them up, thereby complicating their lives and making it less likely that they'll stick to a diet.

And if they can't stick with the diet, they won't lose the weight.

And if they don't lose the weight, they'll have to deal with all the physical complications that come from being overweight.

Hence, harm.

That's worth busting someone's balls over.

^ this
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Everybody should be careful not to tout information as fact without doing the research to back it up. Otherwise expect to be corrected.

Its okay to correct people who regurgitate myths that have been disproved by science. But there is a right way to do it. Acting like a condescending jerk isn't the right way, but unfortunately that is the most common method here.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right.

We should just allow people to spout pseudo-scientific nonsense without disputing their claims with all of that confusing "science"

You can. Just think about what you are posting before you post it. I tell people they are wrong all the time. But when you start getting into a 3 page long debate and the OP's question is no longer the topic, then that is a problem.

No, that's just how conversations go.
  • optional1
    optional1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    haha!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Sounds like you should be thanking the science posters for motivating you to get your learn on! :wink:

I am smart and do that, most people are not. I want to help people, not prove how smart I am on a internet forum. I want help people on there journey.

It's kind of funny because it is usually men going back and forth and it isn't relevant. I dont dislike the topics, I just think they need to post their own topic if they are going to go off topic.
  • matthewparmenter
    Options

I am smart and do that, most people are not. I want to help people, not prove how smart I am on a internet forum. I want help people on there journey.

It's kind of funny because it is usually men going back and forth and it isn't relevant. I dont dislike the topics, I just think they need to post their own topic if they are going to go off topic.

Staying on topic is a fair request. Just couldn't resist "busting your balls" haha :tongue:
  • jame_104
    jame_104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Hang on every post is valid and no one should put ppl off of asking a question no matter how trivial it may seem to you. We are supposed to be supporting each other arnt we all in the same boat!
    [/quote]

Oh Amen! We have all had these questions, so what if it is asked again. If it is "beneath" you don't respond. Go with the if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all! Weight loss isn't easy, the last thing people need is an arogent *kitten* telling them how much they suck and should know better.