40 Day Challenge

Options
Just recently I talked to my best friend, who is a very devout Catholic, about Lent. She's been participating in it for the longest time and has given up some very interesting things, like chocolate, meat, caffeine and alcohol. I, on the other hand, am technically Orthodox, which is almost like Catholic, but with holidays about a week later. I'm not very devout, but this idea of Lent and giving something up for 40 days did give me pause. So I thought I'd give it a try. Orthodox Lent starts next Wednesday, but I'm giving myself an extra week, just because I need a little extra motivation. I've given up anything dessert related, meaning chocolate, cake, pie, cupcakes, soda, etc.

I'm three days in, and so far I've already lost 1lb by just cutting that stuff out of my diet. This is huge because I couldn't seem to go a day without my sweet tooth bugging me to eat something extremely unhealthy.

So, I put forth this challenge to all of you.

I challenge you to give up something unhealthy for 40 days. I'm not asking you to convert your religion, I'm just asking you to do something good for your body for a month and a half and see what happens. Let me know how you're doing, if you've made any progress of if you're struggling. I'm pretty sure someone will find your story helpful.

I'll post my own progress every week including a before and after photo once the challenge is done. Maybe something good with come out of this, maybe not. Either way, I'm willing to find out.

Replies

• Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this with you.... I want to give up all kinds of fried foods (my weakness!) :ohwell:
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    That's a great start! I love fried foods too, and lately I've been trying to avoid them as much as possible, even thought today I kinda splurged and got a hash brown from McDonald's.

Thanks for joining me! I'd love to hear how you're doing!
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the biggest addiction to soda. Not diet soda...I'm talkin about the good stuff :) anyway, Iv'e went from about 5/day to 1 a day broke up into 2 portions. I was just thinking I would like to give it up for a period of time and see how I did. In short...I'm IN :))
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    i like this idea. Im on day 12 of not eating anything BAD so i am pretty content on that. Trying to go 21 days to make it a habit. so I'll add an extra 40 days for my ultimate weakness of CHIPS!! bad snacking food.
  • wxchaser
    Options
    I've done it! The first few weeks are terrible, but the longer you go without the soda, the better you feel. I've actually gone a year without the stuff, and even though I was still eating junk food at the time, I felt better that I was drinking water instead of Coke. Give it a shot. I think you'll do great.
  • wxchaser
    Options
    @sportyskylar I know what you mean! I love chips and fries. I shoulda added those to my 40 day challenge, but sugar is my ultimate weakness.

I suggest grabbing some pita chips. They are AWESOME! And they're great in soup.
  • PAFMP
    PAFMP Posts: 15
    Options
    I would also like to try the challenge. My challenge is also soda - the stuff is evil!!!
  • wxchaser
    Options
    I know! And don't drink diet soda in place of it. That stuff is even worse for you!
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've done it! The first few weeks are terrible, but the longer you go without the soda, the better you feel. I've actually gone a year without the stuff, and even though I was still eating junk food at the time, I felt better that I was drinking water instead of Coke. Give it a shot. I think you'll do great.

Thanks. I really can't imagine life without it. I LOVE pepsi SO much. But I think it's holding me back. One question though....will my body REALLY start craving water?? Iv'e been told this, and I hope so, cause right now I have to make myself drink 8 glasses. I by no means enjoy it...lol
  • wxchaser
    Options
    Thanks. I really can't imagine life without it. I LOVE pepsi SO much. But I think it's holding me back. One question though....will my body REALLY start craving water?? Iv'e been told this, and I hope so, cause right now I have to make myself drink 8 glasses. I by no means enjoy it...lol

Oh, yeah! That's all I've been drinking, and some days I can't get enough. If you look through the trash can next to my desk, there are at least 3 bottles in there by the end of the day. And if you're really craving that sweetness you get with Pepsi, try adding something like MiO or Crystal Light to your water. It helps with the craving. Aquafina also has flavored water, but I prefer buying carbonated water and adding a splash of either lemon or lime juice with a packet of Equal.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Oh, yeah! That's all I've been drinking, and some days I can't get enough. If you look through the trash can next to my desk, there are at least 3 bottles in there by the end of the day. And if you're really craving that sweetness you get with Pepsi, try adding something like MiO or Crystal Light to your water. It helps with the craving. Aquafina also has flavored water, but I prefer buying carbonated water and adding a splash of either lemon or lime juice with a packet of Equal.

Zephyrhills water has a new water that is sparkling (lots of bubbles) and flavored with all natural fruit. Nothing artificial, no fake sugars, no calories.... its wonderful! I drink them all day long!!!!
  • slimmingdownsteph
    slimmingdownsteph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i'm catholic :)
    i gave up soda, fast food, and baked goods (my biggest problem).
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would like to go 40 days without a binge. Today is day 1.
  • bfhayes
    Options
    For Lent I am giving up all drinks except water (I will find dairy in other forms), all sweets (including but not limited to ice cream, all sodas diet and non-diet, cookies, cake ice cream), junk food (chips mainly), and meat on Fridays. I am lame and had a bad week so I let myself eat all of it last week. But, today is Sunday and therefore the start of a new week and I am on this forty day challenge. Let's do this!
  • Anatron72
    Options
    I decided to do this too, to support my sister-in-law. Mine is chocolate, which may not seem all that difficult on its own, but I work for a chocolate company and am surrounded by the stuff while I am there... so it's going to be extra hard, but I'm determined to do it!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    just to encourage you all, for lent i gave up chocolate and chinese, there has been a choc bar sitting in my kitchen since the first day, don't get me wrong, i have been tempted but it's still there - and guess what, it get's easier. i think it's the first time in my life i'v done it too. i'm way more overweight than anyone on this forum so if i can .....:wink:
  • lmdavis804
    Options
    I gave up going out to eat when Lent started last Wednesday. I try to give up something every year and I have been successful. This is the hardest thing I have given up. My family and I eat out at least once a week and more on my weekends off. I am hoping to lose weight and save money in the next 6 weeks. Good luck to everyone!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I will give up popcorn and peanut butter :(
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i need to give up soda! biggest weakness
  • wxchaser
    Options
    I am so proud of all y'all for the things you're giving up. I think with each others support, we can make this 40 day challenge a success!

I'm on Day 5 so far, and yesterday was pretty tough. I had class in the morning (makeup for a class at the end of my semester per my teacher's request) and one of my classmates brought in donuts for the entire class. When he opened the box and that delicious scent hit me... The temptation was INSANE! But, I bought a bottle of water at the vending machine and had a good breakfast beforehand, so I managed to stay away from them even though I walked past several times in order to leave the room during break. I ended up going on an hour long hike with my best friend after class instead of eating BBQ with everyone else and we ended up going for frozen, sugar free, fat free yogurt afterwards as a treat. What did I put on mine? Nuts and fresh fruit instead of chocolate! It's the perfect way to eat something sweet without breaking the challenge.

What have your challenges been so far?