Why are you / Why were you fat?

Options
I think its important in everyones weight loss journey to not only overhaul their WOE and exercise, but to come to terms with how they got to where they are - How they got so fat. I know for me, personally, I was just dumb. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, and never thought twice about it. My mother was on all different diets her entire life,and did nothing but gain weight, so it was pretty much implanted in my psychie that no diets actually worked, so there was no point in trying.
Once I moved out, and started doing research on my own without the poisoning words of my mother (I love the woman, but when it comes to physical health, she is just lost), I realized that a lifestyle change would indeed help me to lose weight, and I lost over 115 pounds.

So what was your your reason for being unhealthy? Have you come to terms with it, and are you able to get past it to get into the new, healthier you?

Replies

• azazelrabbit
    Options
    For me, I think it's a psychological thing. When I was kid my parents tried to be really really healthy ALL the time. They hardly ever let me have sweet or fatty things. But when I was older and I had my own money I could buy them all the time, so I craved what I had been deprived and ate them all the time.
    But that is going to change.
  • rachealb1972
    Options
    i wasnt fat i was actually anorexic through my teens im fat now because my ex husband told me i was ugly and he never loved me 2 minutes before he walked out and left me i continued to gorge myself into the 15 stone mess i became slowly and surely i lost some and gained some over the years im turning 40 at the end of this year and im determined that my thirties i was fat throughout but my forties im going to hit with delight and be fit and forty
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I ate too much
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I ate too much

+1 (plus I was a highly skilled couch potato for much of my adult life)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I ate too much

+2

Portion control! I haven't changed what I eat at all. I just changed how much.
  • Losinitforgood
    Losinitforgood Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight my whole life. However, one summer I gained an extra 40 pounds because I was working in a call center, I was eating a ton of junk food, and drinking all the time. Then I had 2 kids in a 2 year time period. I lost 45 pounds and I still have an extra 40-50 to lose and so here I am!
  • I think that I'm over weight because when I tried to be healthy in the past, people I cared about made fun of me and what I was eating and I let them talk me into cheating and giving up. Also people would make comments like eating too much of a good thing is just as bad as eating bad stuff, even when they had no nutrition credentials or the right to state their opinions.

I think most of these people were jealous or wished that they could eat like me, but I let them win and stopped eating right and working out.

Well not this time, BRING ON the MEAN COMMENTS AND LAUGHS, because I can take and I will win!!!!
  • willbeayummymummy
    Options
    I like food....well I like all the wrong food and I ate lots of all the wrong food and didnt exercise...no excuses its plain and simple for me, ate too much and was lazy lol.x
  • spudman1232
    Options
    too complicated and personal to write here. would share through email maybe. Wish it was easy to sort out though.
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 3 years ago (weighing 135) and gained weight rapidly. Within 4 months I gained nearly 60 lbs. I plateaued in May of 2011 at around 208. I have a short attention span and ate because I was bored. I got tired of it and seeing myself in pictures and knew I had to do something. I am down 33lbs so far on my way back to 135 :D
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Major depressive episode when I was 19/20, and I was away from family in college. I wasn't around anyone who could tell me that I needed help. I also had a terminally ill parent, and her disease was genetic. I had a 50/50 shot of having a disease for which there was no cure. I expected to be symptomatic by now, and figured I would eat what I wanted because weight would be difficult to keep on later. I part, being fat ensured that I didn't have Huntington's disease.

During my teen years, food was a way to control my life. I was always a normal weight but had body dysmorphia and very disordered eating patterns. I've spent years trying to figure out why--therapy, an eating disorder program--all to find that the answer wasn't going to change the fact that without changing the behavior I would remain fat and unhealthy.

Starting again with watching my diet and exercising has been very hard. There is a lot of fear that I'll find myself falling into old self destructive behaviors.

One day at a time...
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I never thought of myself as fat, or even overweight, because the men in my life have been kind. I just felt unhealthy, and didnt realise that carrying an extra stone or two, was making that worse.

Reasons I was overweight were twofold. One, I comfort eat, and like sweet things. Two, was very lazy and thought I hated exercise.

Have lost a stone and a half to date. For me, exercise is crucial. Am walking 5 days a week, ave. 2 miles a day. Has helped metabolism to improve, thus more energy.

Quite liking the new me! Hoping to get married this year so thats another motivation.

Well done everyone else. If it helps our health, it is so worth it :smile:
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was fit and active till I had my first child.
    C-section was a mess and had a difficult time healing so my stomach muscles were very weak.
    Then I got lazy and into the habit of not being active.
    Then I had a second child with the same results. A terrible C-section.
    I'm not using that excuse anymore. My second was born 4 and a half years ago.
    It's time to put on my big girl pants and do something about it.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm fat because I make terrible choices when eating and in addition to those terrible choices I overeat. To make things a little worse, I do not work out.

^This was true for me before I decided to change all of it.
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    severe depression, antidepressants, moving to the "fattest city in the US"
  • Kamalalue
    Kamalalue Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I personally think it is impossible to pin point one solitary reason for being fat.

I can think of a number of things that contributed:

I was never taught moderation or what a healthy diet consisted of.

I love food.

I love the feeling of being full - not stuffed, just filling the emptiness.

Lack of money, led to inexpensive choices.

Eating out a lot, too lazy to cook.

Lack of movement.

Loving that as a heavier person, I wasn't grabbed and objectified.

The biggest reason for being fat and for not changing, is that I did not know how to change.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i was working 12 - 16 hrs a day 6 days aweek, stella artois became my switch off mechanism and also the reason why i gained so much weight,,,,,,,, 2000 calories a night just in beer
  • daione
    Options
    Okay, me it is just i love all the unhealthy stuff. Chocolate makes me feel good. I love Chocolate and can not seem to break up with it. When things go crazy or not like i want, i turn to chocolate. My most recent partner is Hersey Milk Chocolate Bar with Almonds. I am just spoiled and it is not easy to change. But staying in grossed with dieting and exercise seems to work for me. I get on my friends and family nerves because i am always talking health. How many calories does that have??? too many carbs and so on.... i really get on their nerves but it works for me. :flowerforyou:

Recently however, I have been diagnosed with Lupus and my job is a really stress factor, so me and chocolate have been getting along very well. I have to learn how to channel this stress in other ways. The problem is i love chocolate.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    As a teenager I was always thin. Size 0-3 thin. Got married and had a baby at 20. Gained a little but was still at a nice weight. Got pregnant and had another baby at 24. Guess I was hovering around the 150 mark. My now ex husband always had a comment about my butt size. Divorced him and remarried at age 26. Our new favorite thing was eating out. We both LOVE to eat. Hit about 212 lbs by the time I was 33-34. Started WW and lost 70 lbs. Had twins at 35. Started the weight loss journey again at 37. 192 lbs. Lost 30 lbs then gain half back. Here we go again. I am now 171 lbs at 38 and trying my hardest to get this off for good. My downfall is food. I don't have to be mad or happy or sad or anything. I love food. Especially ethnic foods. Wish I had my metabolism that I had as a teen back. I could eat anything and not gain an ounce. lol I've decided that growing up sucks. lol
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5 pound per year person. I've gained 5 pounds probably every year since age 20. It's very easy to ignore 5 pounds and I did exactly that year after year. What's 5 pounds? No biggie, easy to lose. But I never lost it and then added another 5 the next year. So here I am 20+ years into the 5 pounds per year. I just plan to lose it at a slightly faster rate than 5 pounds per year now that I've decided to do something about it.