Just frustrated... another one...

Options
Ok, so I have been using MFP, for several months, and then really started buckling down in Jan. ( Yes I became a new year's resolutionist ). Anyway, I tracked my calories my workouts and felt really good about it. I only weighed myself at the beginning of Jan, and then at the end of of the month. Ugh.. lost only 2lbs. So pick myself up from the disappointment. Watch my calories and workouts, and starting weighing myself every week.. Lost total of 4lbs.
Today I weigh myself and I have gain 2lbs back!!! so frustrated.
So trying not to be disappointed and give up. So I checked my reports over the last 30 days. I have roughly stayed at or below 1200 calories a day with a few exceptions.

So my questions to all my wonderful friends on MFP, what to do. Should I up my calories?? Am I just expecting too much???

Thanks !!

Replies

• atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Read thru the platueing thread a few threads up. It should give you a good insight into where you're falling short.
  • joemomma3d
    Options
    you need to eat more :) under 1200 cal a day is not good
  • revren10
    revren10 Posts: 116
    Options
    Ok, so I have been using MFP, for several months, and then really started buckling down in Jan. ( Yes I became a new year's resolutionist ). Anyway, I tracked my calories my workouts and felt really good about it. I only weighed myself at the beginning of Jan, and then at the end of of the month. Ugh.. lost only 2lbs. So pick myself up from the disappointment. Watch my calories and workouts, and starting weighing myself every week.. Lost total of 4lbs.
    So trying not to be disappointed and give up. So I checked my reports over the last 30 days. I have roughly stayed at or below 1200 calories a day with a few exceptions.

So my questions to all my wonderful friends on MFP, what to do. Should I up my calories?? Am I just expecting too much???

Thanks !!

you might not have enough calories
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Please open your diary so we can help you better
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you shouldn't be eating LESS than 1200 calories. You're simply not eating enough and you're making your body think it's starving.
    Edited to mention that the 2lbs you gained could EASILY be water weight or poo that's still in your system.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Thanks !!

It's easier to gain weight than lose. And you didn't gain it in a month. Stop trying to lose 30lbs in a month. Be realistic.
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough.
    Try eating 1500 calories for the next two weeks and see what happens.
    Its an odd mentality, but you need to eat to lose.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Try upping your calories.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Why does every post have to turn mean?

I would suggest upping your calories too and ignore the mean people.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yep, I would agree that eating more would be worth a try.

MFP started me at 1200 calories and I stalled out after just a few pounds and the scales wouldn't budge.

I had a friend who told me that when that happened to her, she added a couple hundred calories to her daily goal. She also ate back part of her exercise calories. She also, unlike me, was pretty much to her goal.

So, I figured it couldn't be much worse that what I was doing. I lowered my weekly goal to 1/2 lb/week instead of 1 lb. per week and started eating back part of my exercise calories.

It worked!!! After 6 months, I've exceeded my original goal and still losing. It doesn't make any sense, but I am living proof that you don't have to starve and exercise yourself to death to lose weight.

So, if you've gotten nothing to lose but weight, I'd suggest giving it a try for a few weeks! :)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

Please direct me to one mean post in this entire thread.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Agreed - definitely up your calories. It will probably help, AND you'll get to eat more! If it doesn't work you can always lower them again.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First piece of advice is to learn to be patient! With less to lose, you're more likely to get 1/2 to 1 pound per week so you may be setting your goals too high. Reset your MFP weight loss goal to either of those and see if your calories go up a bit. They might not if you're short...sorry to say. Either way, I agree that you should try to eat more. 1200 minimum per day, if not closer to 1400-1600 total since you're active.

Track your sodium if you're not doing that already. A few high sodium days and not enough water or activity to offset will cause water weight gain. Any chance it's that time of the month (TOM)? That will also effect the scale. I've been having this problem over the last week and am going to try a few things next week to improve the situation. The fresher the food (aka less processed) the better.

Only other suggestion is to take body measurements regularly as those can sometimes be a better indication of success than the scale.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have seen the exact results that he talks about in his thread! Every time I plateau, I EAT my way out of it. Not talking binging and gaining but just eating all the way up to my maximums.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Thanks !!

It's easier to gain weight than lose. And you didn't gain it in a month. Stop trying to lose 30lbs in a month. Be realistic.

^^Agree, and would like to add that from looking at your pic, and if I'm reading your ticker correctly, you only have less than 20lbs to lose in the first place. That might seem like alot to you, but in the grand scheme, it's not like you have a hundred pounds to lose. You're most likely not going to lose 2-5lbs a week like a morbidly obese person would in their first couple of months. It's more realistic to say that you'll probably lose more like .5-1lbs/wk at most. So, take measurements and have your BMI measured with calipers. Track these successes as well. Also, watch your sodium intake. Water retention most likely explains the weight flux. Most importantly, don't think you're failing just because the scale isn't moving. You've stuck to a healthy diet and exercise regimen for nearly two months. That in itself is a success.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Please direct me to one mean post in this entire thread.

That's what I was wondering! Weird....

Anywho, yes, eat more. Here's a few links for your reading pleasure....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/474-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    As everyone said eat more. I was a believer in trying to eat low and never eating back exercise calories, and now that I do my weight loss is going great. I eat 1800 plus exercise calories everyday.
  • VictoriaFitness2010
    Options
    As others have said, you need to eat more. Drastically cutting your calories will not help you lose weight. You need to maintain enough calories for your body to use and burn. I recommend reviewing your caloric intake. If you can, seek the assistance of your doctor or nutritionist for recommendations regarding a healthy caloric intake that is conducive for weight loss.

The cool thing about losing weight is that you actually get to eat! Our bodies need fuel, so eat up!

Good luck!
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great responses and ideas. I am no stranger to losing weight or calorie counting. Sometimes I just need to realize that I am not crash dieting anymore and weight doesn't fall off in a week.

We are all here to learn and grow and do better. Thank you for being honest!!

Thank you.. You are best community I have ever seen when it comes support!!!