I Quit

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you, great job not smoking, don't be so hard on yourself... this is one of the hardest things anyone can do :)

It will get easier, just take your time and take care of yourself. Try to eat right. If you mess up every now and then, it's OK... just don't let it derail you. Good luck, now. You can do it :D
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I just read this today, actually... it's a very lighthearted article with lots of dry humor about quitting smoking, but I think there are definitely some things in here you will identify with and will help you see that you are not alone. I hope you enjoy it and I hope it helps!

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-life-lessons-you-only-learn-through-quitting-smoking/

How irresponsible of you! You know you should have put a disclaimer after posting a cracked.com link...
    "Warning: Going to this site will lead to endless reading articles and zero productivity at work today".

:drinker:
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I quit in October and gained 15, but it was worth it. I read something at the time that said something like you'd have to gain 100 lbs. to equal the damage that continuing to smoke would do to your body. I'm sure that's not scientific, but you get the idea. So I gained 15 lbs., started my weight loss plan on January 1, and I've lost 12 of it. Just hang in there, appreciate the improving lung function and increased energy levels. Don't beat yourself up for putting on a few lbs. A year from now you'll be smoke free, in better shape, and you'll have save a ton of money that you would have spent on smokes.

^^^ THIS! I was a very heavy smoker for 10 years and quit cold turkey back in 1999. I have never wanted another cigarette, but I did gain almost 25 pounds after I quit. Even with the extra weight, I felt 10 times better after I quit. Not waking up every day coughing was enough to make up for the extra weight. Now I have lost that weight and feel even better. Quitting will certainly be worth it, even if you put on some weight. Best of luck to you! :)
  • wlgreen379
    Options
    For me I had to start moving. The more I move the less I want a cigarette because that inhibits my ability to move. Go for walks. Walk until you are tired, then turn around and walk home. Do something that takes your mind off of it. Do your best to make sensible food choices, but you are doing great by quitting smoking. Slay one dragon at a time, and you will get where you need to go.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    I gave up 9 months ago, and yes I did gain weight but what I started doing was keeping myself busy, still done my exercise and tried to stay as healthy with snacking as possible

it only really takes a good few weeks to a month or 2 to fully get over the "real" cravings
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Quitting smoking is way more important than losing weight. Try to concentrate more on that than losing weight. Munch on healthy substitutes like celery, carrots, suckers, etc.

I know someone who every time they wanted a cigarette they would do pushups. She did get very toned arms LOL.

I used the patch and it was not too bad. I still had times i craved one but it went away quite quickly. I did a ton of walking too that really helped. Especially during the times i was use to having one like my lunch break. I brought walking shoes to work and walked during that hour (i quit a yr ago and i still walk on my lunch break now).

You can do it. One day at a time. In a short while you will feel awesome i promise!
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i have quit smoking and gained 20 lbs and was still drinking and eating normally , what helped me is staying away from smokers or places that was smoking area, i am down to less friends but i got my health back. so i suggest to drink a glass of water everytime you got a craving for a smoke and stay away from fatty foods and be drinking less, it is hard but easy to do .

Good luck
  • jakenmegzmom
    Options
    It's almost been 2 years since my last cigarette! I think the trick to not gaining weight is to get yourself moving! Everytime you think about a cigarette, get out and walk or walk in place, do sit ups, do push ups, drink water. Once you start, you'll wanna keep going because you'll have so much more energy!
  • BeepRocks
    Options
    Get a new hobby.....somthing to keep your mind active.Don't quit.....maybe take it in smaller strides....you may be overwhelming yourslef with tyring to accomplish too much so fast. Good Luck
  • Jillian52
    Jillian52 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a sister-in-law who quit smoking a over a year ago and she hasn't started back. When she quit she decided that she wasn't going to worry about the weight gain for the first couple of months because if she did both things at once she would get frustrated and quit. She gained weight at the beginning because she was just focusing on kicking the nicotine habbit. Once she was stable in that she started losing the weight she had gained and now she is smoke free and at her goal weight. Quitting smoking is much more important to your health than losing weight so I would just focus on that for now and then worry about the weight once you are stable. Good luck to you!!
  • gary8964
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else wrote. I have been smoke free for about a year and a half and I still get the occasional craving, but it passes a lot quicker than when I first quit or even six months ago. The weight gain is temporary. I gained WAY MORE than I care to admit, but I think to myself " the weight can be lost, the damage from smoking...maybe not". You just have to find what works for you, but whatever you do, don't give up.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Congrats on Quitting Smoking............I do not believe that is the reason why anyone gains weight............I quit almost 6 years now and even though I did gain some weight it wasn't all that bad......some more of my weight is from the medication I am taken, however back to you............

I was told to use cinnamon sticks...............don't try it they are HORRIBLE!!!!!
    I kept busy all day and if I wanted a smoke I had gum or a cup of Tea
    Night time I either read or crochet..........something to keep me busy

As you can see I didn't have exercise anywhere on my list of things to do................that was a mistake and not drinking water, I wish you luck and please don't quit..............try and measure your food and if your not exercising start something small and go from there....
  • Kathycarol
    Kathycarol Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What a great thing you are doing for your body! It takes so much courage and many coping strategies to quit smoking. Think about what brought you to this point, try writing in your journal about your thoughts and feelings. Reward yourself with something other than food ie. a great book, a day trip, a movie in the theatre, a bubble bath with music and candles. Maybe inviting a friend to go outside and enjoy a walk somewhere unique would distract you A few pounds are nothing compared to the benefits of going smoke free - congratulate yourself!! The weight will come off again, your body is just adjusting to the many changes it's going through. Stay distracted, change your daily routines, try deep breathing, drink lots of water from a beautiful glass or bottle, chew gum, brush your teeth and put on lip gloss so that your mouth is too pristine for smoke or junk food.

For some reason you decided that smoking and unhealthy eating were less comfortable than a healthy lifestyle. Focus on the reason, be kinder to yourself and take it one day at a time.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I quit a milion years ago as well. Keep at it-realize it's a process and you WILL get there. Allow your body to be rid of the addictive nicotine-chew lots of gum and fruit, and sometimes just getting up and walking will help. I gained as well, but one thing at a time-when I was rid of the nicotine, I started exercising-alot. Reminding myself of how much I needed clear lungs. Good luck!
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    smoking 16 days ago and my weight is up 6 pounds, Help I want to quit MFP too I am very discourage!
    Will I keep gaining now that I quit smoking? Should I lower my calories?
    Suggestions
    I quit 15 yrs ago and I have never looked back. Don't quit MFP you need this community now more than ever. Instead of lowering your calories increase your activity level. Get a pedometer and track how many steps you are taking a day. I have a fitbit and I love it. How much are you excercising, what type are you doing?
  • sdoherty1000
    sdoherty1000 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking 3 months ago and decided that due to a plateau and not losing that stopping smoking would take preference and i would stop the diet for a few months. My weight increased by 14-18lb overall but i have restarted it this week.

I used to be on 40 cigs a day which i cut down to 20 for a few months. I then stopped altogether and I will tell you......I would of/could savaged any thing that even remotely looked like meat. I got a sweet tooth as well, yes i wanted cakes and sugar and CHOCOLATE. I am now focused on losing the weight i put on but i feel better than ever right now physicially.

My advice, stopping smoking is more important that dieting and will also aid in exercising and ultimately making you live longer.
  • LauraLovesCamp
    Options
    Wow, great job. That is crazy hard to do. Try that new blue electric fake cigarette. It's the fixation that is hardest sometimes. That little device you drag on and "smoke" comes out. You need an outlet. Food is easiest but just not going to work. Find something that you love. I just rediscovered my love of ballet, of all things. I'm 32 and back to ballet! But it moves me. I love it. What's your niche? Try something radically different. Horseback riding? Snow shoeing? Hiking? (Climbing those hills as a non smoker will move you.) Swimming? Running? Channel that need into exercise somehow.

Hang in there. Don't give up. You can totally do it.
  • namina13
    namina13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Haha, I do apologize.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    DONT quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
    When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit,
    Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
    As every one of us sometimes learns,
    And many a failure turns about,
    When he might have won had he stuck it out;
    Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
    You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than,
    It seems to a faint and faltering man,
    Often the struggler has given up,
    When he might have captured the victor's cup,
    And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
    How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out--
    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell how close you are,
    It may be near when it seems so far,
    So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
    It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

- Author unknown
  • Kathleen_Presnell
    Kathleen_Presnell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fantastic that you quit smoking! I mean it. You are going to be fine. Keep coming in here and get your support. Remember to take baby steps and don't be so hard on yourself. Your body is going to thank you in the long run. I'm very very proud of you! Don't give up, now is the time to hang in there and do diet and exercise. (Chew Gum) You can do this!!!!

:heart: