Thoughts???something new-

Options
I am going to try something new... I haven't been losing this month and I actually gained a pound and a half so I have been looking into this BMR thing and it recommends I up my calories to 1450 (I was at 1240) I am freaking out that it will back fire on me and I will actually gain the pounds back that I have lost- but seriously, at this point in time, I should be at least losing something each week. I am crazy faithful on my diary and I think I have only had three rest days total in the last 55 days. Something has gotta give. Thoughts?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am going to try something new... I haven't been losing this month and I actually gained a pound and a half so I have been looking into this BMR thing and it recommends I up my calories to 1450 (I was at 1240) I am freaking out that it will back fire on me and I will actually gain the pounds back that I have lost- but seriously, at this point in time, I should be at least losing something each week. I am crazy faithful on my diary and I think I have only had three rest days total in the last 55 days. Something has gotta give. Thoughts?

Do yourself a favor, take a week off and eat at your maintenance level. Your body needs time to rest and repair. Also, this is the method I have used with about 100 people on this board and it works. Also, as you get smaller your body needs more fuel as large deficit cause your body to conserve. Give it a month though so your body can adjust.
  • mkam1980
    mkam1980 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm very glad you're looking into "this BMR thing"... since it's practically everything you need to know about weight loss. :noway:
  • mkam1980
    Options
    Then how come MFP's calories are so different?
  • ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? I'm at 6 weeks and I haven't lost in the past 2. Wondering what is going on. Frustrating, huh?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It isn't.

MFP guesstimates your BMR and adds a multiplier for your activity level... then it estimates your maintenance calories and asks you how much you want to lose per week. If you tell it 1lb then it will subtract 500 cals per day from your maintenance estimate and set that as your goal. Energy expenditure (BMR+activity) is the underpinning basis of everything.

The thing is that MFP can only guesstimate. So it's up to you to keep an eye on whether you're going up, down, or staying the same weight and adjust your goals accordingly.

This is the best site I can recommend to explain it all... http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

Hope that helps!
  • mkam1980
    Options
    Yes frustrating, I have been at since the 1st of the year.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Do yourself and others a favor. Use the link above and in this thread to calculate your BMR. Post your results and your normal lifestyle (desk job, nurse, etc... ) and your workout schedule and I will show you the estimate calories you should eat.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • mkam1980
    Options
    Do yourself and others a favor. Use the link above and in this thread to calculate your BMR. Post your results and your normal lifestyle (desk job, nurse, etc... ) and your workout schedule and I will show you the estimate calories you should eat.

Hummm- the link you listed gave me another number?

I am 225lb, Female, 31 y/o, I am a teacher, and I would classify my workouts as moderate- 3-5 times a week.
  • mkam1980
    Options
    Oh yes, my workout is Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred
  • psuLemon
    Options

Hummm- the link you listed gave me another number?

I am 225lb, Female, 31 y/o, I am a teacher, and I would classify my workouts as moderate- 3-5 times a week.

So based on your information, your BMR is around 1700 calories. You are lightly active before working out and do JM. I would classify it as moderately active but I will show you both ways and I will assume about 250-300 calories burned for JM based on what I see others do.

Without including exercise into the TDEE calc.

TDEE = 1700 * 1.375 = 2337 + 300 = 2637
    Deficit = 2637 -500 = 2137

So in this case, I would say eat 2100 calories on days you workout and on days you don't, eat 1800.

With exercise in the calc

TDEE = 1700 * 1.55 = 2635
    Deficit = 2635 -500 = 2635

Same thing you would eat around 2100 calories a day.

Instead of the 500 calorie deficit, it can be suggest to do 20% off of TDEE, which puts you around 2000 calories. So I would recommend a basic 2000 calorie diet, probably around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats.