Thai Food Tonight

Options
First time ever..... what should i get, and what's the calorie count going to be?

Replies

• tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Huge fan of Thai food. Relax- it's just a meal and Thai cuisine is generally loaded with vegetables and other fresh ingredients.

Most of it will be high sodium- I don't think you can get around that. Green Curry or Tom Yum Soup(hot and sour) would be good options. Also, fresh rolls on the side with tofu rather than pork. I'd stay away from the noodles or anything deep-fried.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Chicken Satay with peanut sauce is a great healthy appetizer.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I love Thai food. When I get to go, I get Wonton soup (filling and super low calories) and Pad Thai noodles with chicken, tofu, and shrimp. Then I break the noodles into 3 portions to be much more calorically responsible. With all the broth from the wonton soup (seriously, I always have 2-3 cups of it so not so great on the sodium but so incredibly good), I'm more than happy with 1/3 portion for dinner and then I get to have 1/3 for lunch the next couple days.

There are calorie counts for these foods in the MFP calculator.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    pad head, chicken with mushrooms, leave off the rice or limit it
    there is also a chicken with green beans, the sauce is awesome!
    tum yum soup is spicy but good
    i forget what it is called but it is chicken with peanut sauce and spinach.

My favorite when it is warm out is yum talay, it is a seafood salad in a spicy broth.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    OMG! PAD SE U (idk how to spell it but it's thick noodles with brocoli and beef! SO YUMMY!!!) or Pad Thai is everyone's favorite. I personally can't go without some Thai Tea :)
  • khrystyna82
    khrystyna82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like green curry with tofu. You can make it at home with curry paste and coconut milk so you can control the spiciness and what veggies you like. I was going to have that tonight. It's good with eggplant and red bell peppers.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I worked in a Thai restaurant for a long time and I hate to be a downer, but it's definitely "special occasion food." It's super, super tasty, but often at the cost of oil and sugar.

As someone else said, tom yum soup is likely your best option - it's a tangy lemongrass broth with veggies. Choose a lean protein like tofu or chicken. If you're okay with the calories, a bowl of brown rice rounds it out really well.

Many also offer "larb" salads, which will be a minced meat (usually pork) on a bed of lettuce (usually iceburg) with a limey-cilantro dressing.

If you aren't adventurous, I'd order something familiar that resembles Chinese food. Many Thai restaurants offer a "chicken and broccoli" or mixed vegetable dish.

I'd avoid curries, as most have coconut milk and possibly heavy cream. I'd also avoid noodles as they're stirfried in lotsa oil (else they stick into a glob) and usually aren't too veg-heavy. However, if you're feeling splurgey, go for the pad thai. It's made of rice noodles that look like fettuccine and it's sweet and tangy, with crushed peanuts, bean sprouts, lime, cilantro, egg and a protein.

Thai tea is amaaazing, but it's got tons of sugar and heavy cream or sweetened condensed milk.

I say, enjoy your dinner and promise to be good tomorrow.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I love larb and papaya salad. YUM.
  • shawn46106
    shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    had a seafood soup while i was there, then the next night i had something called kiss me garlic. it had steak, chicken, and rice over a bed of cabbage and carrots. was great! had the spice at a 3 out of 4. it'll clear you out. lol good stuff, and will return to the thai world no doubt.
  • shawn46106
    shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    btw i found this on here and book marked it. figured it was worth keeping. i have checked a few meals, and it seems to be right so far.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/thai-food