Tired of oatmeal! On the go breakfast ideas?

Options

Replies

• Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake mixed with unsweetened almond milk, a piece of 100 calories toast and add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. This gives you a good balance of protein, carbs & fat to start the day off. I follow it with 24 oz of water with in an hour and I am usually too full for my morning snack.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Protein shake!
    Sometimes I just do SlimFast
    other times I do PureProtein Chocolate Whey
    depending on how thick I want it, I use water or soymilk.
    Quick and on the go!
  • KA29
    KA29 Posts: 54
    Options
    Special K has a lot of options, Fiber One, Yogurt, Quaker oatmeal bars (Yummy), fruit, muffins. So many low cal / fat, tasty on the go options for us.
  • the2aces
    the2aces Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I eat a cup of Special K Red Berries (110c) with 3/4 cup of Almond Milk (30c) in this guy - http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-Breakfast-Container-17-9-Ounce-Clear/dp/B0040QD9K8/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1330113224&sr=1-8 - most days.

I also like the Quaker Soft Baked Oatmeal bars (140c for the cinnamon roll), 2 Mashed up hard boiled eggs with salt + pepper (140c), and the small Odwalla strawberry protein shakes (180c).
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I eat Chobani Greek Yogurt. It's only 140 calories & has 14 grams of protein! I'm not usually a yogurt fan but it's pretty good!! I buy a bunch and leave them in the fridge at work. It makes a fast easy breakfast that I can eat at my desk. I'm not a very good morning person so I never seem to be able to make something at home before work.
  • tearose4
    tearose4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to breakfasts is Greek Yogurt mixed with about 100 cal of cereal (granola or Kashi or something). I mix it in a throw-away bowl & grab a plastic spoon cuz you want it to sit for a few minutes to soften the cereal. I eat it in my car and throw the bowl & spoon away. Simple, quick. Enough protein to keep me from being starving by lunch time.

You took the words right out of my mouth . . . except the part about throwing away the dishes, I am too cheap for that. And the Greek Yogurt part, I use vanilla non-fat yogurt and 53g Kashi. I'll open the box of Kashi, weigh it out into single-servings, and be ready for the next six or seven days.
  • krkoch1983
    krkoch1983 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothies at about 6:30, on my way out the door: 1 cup Kefir, 1 cup strawberies, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/2 a banana ~ you can change the fruit for less calories.

Then I have a "clean" muffin (no artificial ingredients, including sugar) with a piece of fruit at 9:30.

Lunch is at 11:30

Don't forget you need to be eating small meals every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism up.
  • KellsJourney
    KellsJourney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    protein shake and a piece of fruit
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    What I have done is make an omelet or two eat half and bring the other half the next day.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    A hard boiled egg and two slices of turkey bacon. The turkey bacon takes about a minute and a half in the microwave - which I cook while I pour my coffee into my travel mug. Then I wrap the bacon in paper towel and throw it in my purse with my egg (I cook a bunch on Sundays and just keep them in the fridge for the week). In the car I eat the bacon and then use the paper towel to hold the eggshell when I peel that to eat!
  • missloo12
    missloo12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I honestly just eat leftovers for breakfast... it's fast, easy, and hopefully healthy!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Make mini quiches. Add eggs, milk, a variety of veggies, pre-cooked meats and cheese and then pour into muffin tins. Bake until firm (about 20 mins). Let them cool and then pack for the week.
  • nurseoffduty
    Options
    Fage Greek yogurt with a tablespoon honey with 3 medium strawberries sliced or a fruit you like. Love it!
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I get tired of oatmeal too. Lately I've been eating Lean Pockets, the breakfast ones. They keep me good almost to lunch time, then I have a piece of fruit when I get hungry, then at lunchtime I'm not starving.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I can't really help here, as I love my oatmeal! I can offer some ideas to spruce it up, but otherwise, I'm not much help
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Search the MFP message boards for mug bread. There is a great recipe that you put all in a mug and throw in the microwave. Yum.

Also, you can make protein muffins ahead of time (a dozen or half a dozen) and freeze. Take it out as you're ready to leave and throw it in the microwave to soften. Yum.

You can also make a quiche ahead and cut into single servings and have a slice of that for the next 8 days! Very Yum!
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have either an egg or almond butter on ezekiel toast and eat it in the car. Sometimes add a banana or orange.
  • textlikekisses
    Options
    If you want some meat try this breakfast sausage patty! With 72 calories per patty you can put it between toast.

This makes 4 patties:

1/2 pound extra-lean ground pork or pork tenderloin, ground
    1 tablespoon minced red onion
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon ground sage
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon salt

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the pork, onion, garlic, thyme, sage, cayenne, black pepper, and salt. With clean hands or a fork, mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts. Shape each into a ball. On a sheet of waxed paper, flatten one ball into a 4 inch-diameter patty. Repeat with the remaining balls. Place any patties that won’t immediately be cooked in a single layer or stacked between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight plastic container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.

To cook, select a skillet that’s the appropriate size to hold the patty or patties to be cooked in a single layer. Set the skillet over medium-high heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it. With an oven mitt, briefly remove the pan from the heat to mist with olive oil spray. Set the patty or patties in the pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until just starting to brown and no longer pink inside. Serve your breakfast sausage immediately.

Nutrition:
    Per patty: 72 calories, 12 g protein, 1 g carbohydrates, 2 g fat (less than 1 g saturated), 37 mg cholesterol, trace fiber, 101 mg sodium
  • bnadinea
    Options
    I will sometimes cut up an apple and put it in a baggie. It's great to go and lasts longer (seems like) than biting into an apple until it's gone. I'm not an oatmeal fan, either. Thought it was the oatmeal but I've tried it a dozen ways and it's just me--don't care for it.

Lots of times I just make one slice of toast with butter. That and coffee and I'm on the road.