Factoring in strength training

Hi guys. Not sure how to accurately use the myfitnesspal calorie tracker as I entered my age, weight, height, and a desired weight loss of 1 lb per week. I started at 200lbs and in 1 week, i lost 3lbs. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but the calorie calculator only seems to factor in cardio excersises, not strength training. I have a decent amount of muscle on me and work out 3-4 times a week (strength), but don't do much cardio except for when i do my core training once a week. Myfitnesspal tells me my calorie limit is 1850 a day. that seems to me to be much too low, as the 3lb weight loss would indicate. Any ideas what my calorie intake should be around? I want to be lean for summer, but be sure I'm taking in enough calories to support muscle growth. I think I only need to lose about 5 more pounds, maybe not even. Here's my specs...

6ft.
197lbs.
athletic build
32 yrs old

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    You can find "strength" under the cardio exercises... but better if you have a heart rate monitor of your own to get good numbers. For me, I range between 300-400 calories for an hour-long weight circuit - I'm 5'2", female, and around 195 lb so you're likely higher than that.

To set your calories, you could figure out your maintenance level now and create a deficit, or figure out your BMR and TDEE.... or you can just put in your data and eat what MFP tells you to eat, including the exercise calories it adds on for you. Being as close as you are to goal, you'd probably want to set it at .5 per week, or even maintenance.
  • BigST79
    BigST79 Posts: 3 Member
    Took your advice and set it to 0.5/wk. See if that does the trick. Thanks for your help. :)