Quitting food logging???

Options

Replies

• kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've only been on this site for 2 months and I'm already getting so sick of logging. No way in hell am I going to do this forever, but it is an amazing tool though for sure and I've had great results with it! Maybe in a couple months I'll see how I do without logging. I can always come back!! Plus, I'll still have my account because I love my MFP friends :) I say go for it. You'll notice if you start gaining and MFP will be right here waiting if you need it!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    its a dismal picture and outlook if you're going to have to log everything for the rest of your life!! that's too much, If you feel you can stop logging, stop, see how it goes, if it doesn't work come back try again. Its all swings and roundabouts, whatever works for you, works for YOU and thats what's important

I'll probably be a lifetime logger...it's easy enough to do, it works for me and I don't find the prospect of doing it forever to be a dismal picture or outlook at all! :flowerforyou:
  • yesbethin
    Options
    Hey! I've stopped logging for a while and gained weight. I don't blame it on the fact I stopped logging my food per se, but since I wasn't so conscious about calories, I started to eat not so healthy things I gave up on my weight loss journey, like cookies, ice cream, chocolate, pastries, etc. I was eating healthy, but having those treats almost every day eventually lead me back to my starting weight.
    So, in my opinion, you should take a week or two off and see how it works for you. If you have self-control, keep on watching your portions size and eating healthy, you won't have problems :smile: I wish you the best of luck!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I take a week off here and there for travel or vacations and usually end up maintaining weight. I think of calorie counting as a form of fine-tuning and a form of obsessiveness. It's in no way necessary for simply maintaining a healthy weight and being in shape.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am unsuccessful when I do not log.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Noooo!
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I stopped for a while when I wanted to just maintain and did fine...however, christmas did me in. And now I want to lose a little bit more. As long as I want to lose I will log.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you are at your goal or desired target size then slowly come off of the log. As long as you dont see any weight gain back then keep on not logging. Until that point and time I would continue to log. I have see / heard too many times that someone has stopped logging and gained weight back. Just be careful with it is all that I would suggest.
  • aptipton
    Options
    I agree with you! It keeps me accountable :)
  • aptipton
    Options
    I agree with you-it keeps me accountable :)
  • aptipton
    Options
    its a dismal picture and outlook if you're going to have to log everything for the rest of your life!! that's too much, If you feel you can stop logging, stop, see how it goes, if it doesn't work come back try again. Its all swings and roundabouts, whatever works for you, works for YOU and thats what's important

I'll probably be a lifetime logger...it's easy enough to do, it works for me and I don't find the prospect of doing it forever to be a dismal picture or outlook at all! :flowerforyou:
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

Absolutely. My 3 week hiatus didn't work out so well for me. But to each their own! :)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people who do not log, if you feel ready then give it a shot!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of stopping logging my food and wondered who else had done this successfully. I pretty much eat similar foods most days and have a fair idea of the calories etc. I am guessing most people don't want to log forever, so am interested in how people have found it when they stopped ie did they gain weight or stay on track.

I have been doing this for a few weeks now. My diary says that I still have "1550 calories left" LOL. Anyway, I have also found that I eat basically the same way everyday, and I even typed in a majority of my own recipes into MFP. So, as long as I eat the foods that I had previously logged, I do just fine.

That said, I have lost 2 pounds this past month so I am still doing OK. However, I want to lose about 10 more to reach my ultimate goal. I think that I personally will go back to logging, probably starting next week, so I can keep better track of macros. I mean, when I don't log, I know that my calories are just fine, but when you are *this* close to goal, I personally believe that it is important to track macros. I can't really do that in my head very well.

Now when I get down to my goal body fat (16% or so, give or take) then I will go back to not logging because after this past month, it is obvious to me now that I have been here long enough to know what to do do.

I do recommend trying it out, at least to see if you are capable of keeping up with yourself and your motivation. At some points, I know that I am not...but it seems that the more I keep myself on track with my workouts, the less I need to log since I am always thinking of it in my head. If that makes sense?
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My intention is to do it for the long haul. Yes, the OCD thing is a real risk and drawback. I've not been able to maintain healthy weight in the past without it. Bums me out, but there it is.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    If by successfully you mean staying on track then I've not tracked consistently for a while. If you've got the discipline then go for it!
  • deb4259
    Options
    You've received replies from both ends of the spectrum. Ultimately, you have to be the one to make the decision, but I know for me -- I will not quit logging this time. I too thought I had a good idea and could manage without logging everything. Not so.

In 2012 I'm finding myself only about 20 pounds away from gaining back an entire 100 pound weight loss (from 10 years ago)! So no ma'am .... I won't quit, but I'm also looking at it differently .... not as punishment, but as a tool that will help to keep me healthy.

I just wonder as we think about it though, why are we so resistant to keep track of what we eat? We keep track of our pennies and dollars in our checking account...or else there would be major mayhem!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I will not quit since I know that when I do I tend to slack off, can't help myself I just do. It literally takes about 5 min a day to log all my meals and exercise so why would I not?
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    For me...I've stopped logging. I've maintained for over 1 year and never slide outside my 5 lb window. So for some it can work. However I log intp mfp daily to continue staying motivated and motivating others.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Considering I've been fat my whole life I don't know WHAT I will do if I ever get to my goal weight of 150lbs. I think I would log at maintainance for a couple months to see the difference in food amounts and then try being sensible on my own.

HOWEVER, since I have been fat for 29 years, I can see me slipping into bad habits reallllllly easily again. I do not want to be one of those "She lost 170lbs and then put on 200lbs and a crane lifts her out of bed in the morning" people. It is one of my worst fears.

So I may very well end up being a lifetime logger so that I can have a lifetime of success! :drinker: :love: :wink: