Need Low Carb meal plan - frustrated

Options
I have been sticking to a 1550 cal day plan. I go over sometimes but not usually and when I do, I make up for it the next day. Also, when I go over, I still stay under 2000 calories. Due to my weight, I should still lose weight, even at 2000 calories. I just started C25K also and hoping the exercise will jump start the weight loss. The problem I am having is that I havent lost any weight!!! I have been doing this for three months. I am hypothyroid and PCOS and I understand that going low(er) carb usually helps. The problem is... I dont know how many carbs to stay under. I am ALWAYS over my carbs on MFP. ALWAYS and also always over my sugar grams. Does anyone know of a lower calorie, lower carb meal plan out there? I know that a higher protein/lower carb plan works for me - I have done Atkins in the past but the Atkins plan has too many calories and too many shakes. I like food. Obviously! :) Any suggestions for meal plans, etc???

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am a carb lover. I saw a diabetic nutritionist who said to keep carbs around 130 a day.
    Stay around 30-40 per meal and only 15 per each serving of food. It worked for me. I lost 30 lbs and my blood count has been great. I love carbs and could not stop eating them altogether. I just found healthier options ( low cal./carb bread, tortillas and mini pitas) and watch the portion size of (1 oz. )pasta, (4 oz ) potatoes, (1/4 )cup cooked rice and other carbs. I make up for the amount of food by having twice as much veggies. I only have sweets on special occasions. I got a food scale to keep me honest so I don't over estimate. Hope it helps

ADA Complete Guide to Carb Counting from amazon is a really good book that explains everything you need to know about carbs. I always think it's good to educate yourself if you have any questions. It allows you to make decisions that are right for you.
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to how much water you are drinking a day? I upped my water intake and it's really helped.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    your diary is closed, so it's impossible to know what you are eating...
  • sunnygal1
    Options
    I have been very successful with the Paleo way of eating. Check out www.everydaypaleo.com and www.marksdailyapple.com for some good, low-carb recipes. I started out by purchasing the Everyday Paleo cookbook from Amazon last year and I still use it almost everyday! In fact, we are having the grass-fed, organic meatballs and sauce with spaghetti squash for dinner tonight from the book. YUMM! Feel free to add me if you'd like, and good luck with your fitness and nutrition goals!! :)
  • Diyan
    Diyan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I was eating very low carb, I had

breakfast: sauteed veggies with eggs
    lunch: meat (larger portion than I was used to), green veggie, white or yellow veggie (mashed cauliflower, rutabaga...)
    afternoon: coffee with almond milk
    dinner: meat (larger portion again), green veggie, white or yellow veggie (large portions)
    snack (only if I was hungry): almonds

When I was moderately low carb, I replaced some of the meat with beans, added one serving of grains or potatoes at dinner and one serving at snack time, and replaced the almonds with fruit. Each serving of grains was measured to make sure it really was only one serving. Breakfast and lunch remained lower-carb, though I sometimes had fruit as well as veggies. I'm eating more carbs now, but I still limit sweets to once a week.

When I was very low-carb, our grocery budget doubled, even though I was the only one in our family of five avoiding carbs.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to how much water you are drinking a day? I upped my water intake and it's really helped.

I drink at least 64 oz a day, usually more.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed, so it's impossible to know what you are eating...

Right now I am eating too many carbs and I know it. I dont know how to open my diary but I will try to find out. I have a bad sweet tooth and I LOVE popcorn! I used to be on Atkins and dI did well but I didnt count ANYTHING. I ate whatever I wanted as long as it was low carb.. pretty much meat and veggies only.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to open my diary but I will try to find out.

Go to the "Food" tab and "Settings" then "Diary Sharing".
  • rsummers2008
    rsummers2008 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the Paleo diet? It's short for Paleolithic. I'm on the diet and since I started last March, I've lost 15 pounds. Although I don't have any disease or issues as way of what you are talking about, it has helped in other areas in my life including increased energy, stamina, less bloating, and other feminine issues. It's a low carb lifestyle and is absolutely AMAZING.

Rob Wolff has a book out that explains everything. Loren Cordain also has a few books out, one especially that you might look into if you start the diet and then find that you are lethargic or fatigued due too not enough carbohydrates. I can't remember exactly what it's called buy in the title says something about Athletes; Paleo diet for Athletes? Coincidentally, I attend Colorado State University, which is a university that he works at. I had no idea when I started this diet until I googled stuff about the Paleo diet. This diet also takes out any additional sugars, except fruit. My suggestion is to just try it for a month and see how you feel.

I hope this helps!

Rachael S.
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi, you sound just like me. I have been on MFP a while now and I started doing the 1200 calories a day and lost nothing really! I was gutted I also have pcos after looking at where my calories were coming from It was 45%+ carbs- I really didnt want to eat low carb even though I have been recommended to do so by Drs as well as others..Anyway I have been eating low carb (around 20-30 net carbs a day) for 3 weeks and the scales are moving and I feel great oh and the extra cool thing I got my period! I know that doesnt sound cool but for someone with PCOS who is trying to have a baby this is great!

I think that there is not a one size fits all diet for all but through trial and error I have found what is working for me, now I am not as low carb as some and not as high as others but like I said its working and after reading I have found that low carb does not have to be boring and its not all Eggs and meat :-)

Good luck and feel free to come join this group its been FAB!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
  • mom22yorkies
    Options
    Look up the book The Glycemic Load Diet by Dr. Rob Thompson.. It may be just what you are looking for. Looking at your food diary, looks like you are carb heavy. No white flour, no sugar, no rice,no pasta, no potatos... if you are insulin resistant, and a lot of us with PCOS are, then these are toxic to you. You gotta just quit eating it. If you need additional support, just friend me, I am new to MFP and a low carber.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you eat more protein and and fat than you're eating now, and hit the same calorie target, you will have less carbs.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bread, pasta, candy, high sugar fruits (bananas and grapes), rice, most grains all should be kept to minimum or none to stick on restricted carb diet.

Stick to lean meats and veggies (no corn, potatoes, field peas and limited beans). Fruit should be a snack and not every meal and watch portion sizes. You can also stick to low carb fruits such as berries, melons, papayas, etc. There are some lower carb "bread" products but you have to look around for them. Mission corn tortillas, LaTortila Factory, Joseph's Flax Pitas are just a few that I have found.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i have PCOS/insulin resistance and i was told to keep my carbs to no more than 150 a day (and i'm a vegetarian so my nutritionist said it would be lower if i ate meat!)

i eat a lot of greek yogurt, high fiber cereal (love my Kashi, also has good protein), protein shakes, cottage cheese. stuff like that.
  • rsummers2008
    rsummers2008 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can have things like almond flour, coconut flour...etc. They're really low in carbs, yet still allow you to have the things you would like. I use agave or honey if I'm craving something sweet. Agave is a low glycemic sugar substitute and tastes really good. Plus, you don't have to use very much at all.
  • Hellsfire02
    Options
    Another one here, slowly changing to the paleo/primal lifestyle. I've not completey changed over yet but have changed my diet a lot and I'm finding it great, though I do still have my 'carby days' as I call them, they're not as often. I've found courgette sliced really thin is a good substitute for spaghetti/pasta in recipes, and tonight I'm trying shredded cabbage instead of rice with my Chicken Korma. Apparently the diet is supposed to be really good for those who have PCOS so you may find it helps, I can't say for certain though as I don't have any health conditions but I have found I'm not feeling as bloated, and I'm enjoying my food much more, and most importantly I don't feel hungry though it does take some adjusting to get used to the calories in things. I'm on 1200 cals a day atm. This is the website I'm using at the moment: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/ it's a good starting base x
  • angels03
    angels03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that did Paleo as well and looks and feels great. How do you get started? I I have looked at the website but still kind of confused.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Make sure the majority of your carbs come from veggies. I'd recommend eating things like cottage cheese, greek yogurt, fish/meat, eggs, protein powder, and nuts - all low in carbs, high in protein, filling.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    check out some diabetic cookbooks from your local library and build a variety of new menu combinations.