Why am I always hungry?!?!?!?!

Options
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 8 years ago and take medication daily to maintain my thyroid levels however my metabolism seems to remain fairly slow. Recently I seem to be hungry all the time and can't seem to get enough to eat. Even after eating a good size meal that seems to feel me up within the hour I want something else to eat. I have been running more but I can't believe my metabolism has increased that much and I'm not losing weight. Why am I all of the sudden so hungry?

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you call a good size meal. How many calories are you eating? Are you eating enought protein. It may not be enough to fuel your workouts and daily activities.
  • schubele
    schubele Posts: 20
    Options
    Thats just it, I am eating at least my 1200 calories and I always seem to go over my protein limit. I try to eat a health breakfast so I don't get hungry before lunch but all I want to do is eat. I have found that if I exercise first thing in the morning (before work) and than eat breakfast it will almost hold me over until lunch. However I don't get my best workout first thing in the morning because I feel like I am so low on fuel. Interstingly enough I exercise best and have the most energy around 3pm to 6pm. Anytime after that I just want to sit in my recliner and do nothing.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Thats just it, I am eating at least my 1200 calories and I always seem to go over my protein limit. I try to eat a health breakfast so I don't get hungry before lunch but all I want to do is eat. I have found that if I exercise first thing in the morning (before work) and than eat breakfast it will almost hold me over until lunch. However I don't get my best workout first thing in the morning because I feel like I am so low on fuel. Interstingly enough I exercise best and have the most energy around 3pm to 6pm. Anytime after that I just want to sit in my recliner and do nothing.

What foods are you eating?
  • schubele
    Options
    Well for instance yesterday I at
    Breakfast: A serving of Total Cranberry Cereal with a cup of skim milk, a cup of coffee with splenda and non fat creamer
    Lunch: Subway turkey wrap with sweet onion sauce, unsweet iced tea and cheetos (bad choice)
    Dinner: Fresh mixed vegitables wrapped in fillo dough
    Snack: Fresh baked apple with splenda brown sugar and 1/2 tsp butter.
    5 glasses of water
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? It doesn't appear that you're eating enough calories to me.
  • machuril
    machuril Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You could try more fiber in your diet. It looks like you eat a good amount of veggies and apples which have high fiber. Try different types of nuts, fiber one bars are very good, more veggies. This usually fills me up and gets me through to the next meal without feeling too hungry.
  • schubele
    Options
    I know it seems that way but according to myfitnesspal my intake was 1800 calories yesterday which with my exercise is still 400 calories over my 1200 calorie diet.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Try bumping up your net.

I lose weight best between 1350-1450 (about 1900 calories per day total) and I always stall or gain when I try to go for 1200 or anything near it.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Well for me.

Raisin bran makes me hungry after an hour however I can go on 1/2 cup of oatmeal for 3-4 hours

Subway I'm still starving after a foot long. But if you eat it try to take an apple/orange/banana and eat that instead of the cheetos. Unless you just want them.

Add some more protein to your dinner skip the filo dough opt for sweet potato, brown rice or beans (fiber) instead.

Apples make me hungry; however ,citris fruits keep me full for at least an hour.

The protein allotment of MFP is low. To figure the amount of protein you need divide you body weight my 2.2 then multiply by 0.8 that would be the minimum grams of protein you need.

When I get hungry I eat 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on 1/4 of a piece of nature's own bread and that holds me for awhile.
    Well for instance yesterday I at
    Breakfast: A serving of Total Cranberry Cereal with a cup of skim milk, a cup of coffee with splenda and non fat creamer
    Lunch: Subway turkey wrap with sweet onion sauce, unsweet iced tea and cheetos (bad choice)
    Dinner: Fresh mixed vegitables wrapped in fillo dough
    Snack: Fresh baked apple with splenda brown sugar and 1/2 tsp butter.
    5 glasses of water
  • schubele
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try.
  • kgehling
    kgehling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 8 years ago and take medication daily to maintain my thyroid levels however my metabolism seems to remain fairly slow. Recently I seem to be hungry all the time and can't seem to get enough to eat. Even after eating a good size meal that seems to feel me up within the hour I want something else to eat. I have been running more but I can't believe my metabolism has increased that much and I'm not losing weight. Why am I all of the sudden so hungry?

That it way too few calories! And where are the veggies? Where is the AM snack? And the PM snack? It's no wonder you're hungry.
  • schubele
    Options
    Actually I probably have about 5 or six servings of fruits and vegitables in that meal (if one serving equals 1/2 cup). However you're right, when you look at what I ate throughout the day it doesn't seem like very many calories even though MFP put me at 1800 calories for the day. must have been those darn cheetos that I love so much
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Actually I probably have about 5 or six servings of fruits and vegitables in that meal (if one serving equals 1/2 cup). However you're right, when you look at what I ate throughout the day it doesn't seem like very many calories even though MFP put me at 1800 calories for the day. must have been those darn cheetos that I love so much
    Have you tried the baked version? I think I might like those better actually.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    I would have more protein/fibre in your breakfast, I like to have one egg + one egg white + 2 slices fiber rich bread. Or else I make 1/3 cup dry oatmeal + half cup pumpkin + 1/4 cup egg whites and some water and cook in the microwave. But I too enjoy a nice cereal sometimes, you should switch to Almond Breeze it is half the calories and twice the flavour of skim. Also in between meals I snack on baby carrots, snap peas, celery, cucumber etc. I think everyone goes through the hunger thing, today it's boredom for me, but I mean we are eating UNDER the needs of our body, leaving a deficit so it's not like we will feel as full as before we were on a diet unfortunately. (could eat 1200 in a meal for sure before lol)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, limit the cheetoes to allow for more whole foods. And start eating every two to three hours (add an AM snack and a PM snack).
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Don't forget water. A lot of times we think we are hungry when we're really thirsty.
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    You might want to get your thyroid levels checked again. Even if you're slightly off, it can cause your metabolism to change. You might still be a little hypothyroid, even though you're on medication.

I have been on thyroid meds for nine years now. It took three Endocrinologists to get me on the right amount to where I felt normal again. I remember feeling hungry all the time, and I was starting to gain weight too.

Your doctor should test for Free T3 and Free T4, along with tsh. If he/she isn't watching the T3, then your metabolism will probably suffer. I hate how so many doctors miss this and women suffer.

Also-Look up the symptoms for Hypothyroid and see if you have other symptoms besides hunger. That will probably tell you if it's your thyroid.

Good luck and hope I was helpful!
  • schubele
    Options
    All great suggestions...thanks fo the input. I will work on eating more often. I think my big problem is not having anything on hand and available at work. I need to fix that. Thanks again
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Try adding more protein to your meals/snacks. That will help, stays in your stomach longer. I'd be hungry all the time too if I ate what you listed.
  • schubele
    Options
    I started to try all your suggestions and it's already helping...thanks