night shift workers

Options
hello anyone out there work night shift like me (7p-7a and sometimes 3p-7a)? Am looking for any tips on not eating those junkie fatty foods thru out the night. also anyone that good smoothie recipes? healthy please. thank you ;)

Replies

• emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I also work nightshift.
  • hagamivida
    Options
    Take smoothie shakes with you (spinach, kale, carrots, protein powder, breakfast shake mix, yogurt, fruit, flax seed, etc).
  • hagamivida
    Options
    And yes, I work nights. Midnight to 8am
  • CSummers316
    Options
    I work 11-7. For lunch I bring a PBJ, light yogurt and a salad of Spinich and carrots. And to curb any unhealthy snacking, I pack two quaker rice cakes and two pieces of fruit.
  • reverie212
    Options
    I work nights too. Dieting is a lot more of a challenge when you work 7p-7a. I have found it quite difficult because I am a RN and hardly find time to actually relax let alone find time to eat. I make sure I get my workout in and eat a meal right before I go to work at night so that I can feel energized. Taking a daily multivitamin with a bit of caffiene can really go a long way, depending on whether you can handle the caffiene (in small doses). I started using GNC "for active women" vitamin packs to help me get through my night. They got all kinds of good stuff in them..check em out! They seem to keep me alert and able to get through the shift. I do eat a small healthy meal but usually in small shifts because I get pulled away often. You kind of have to switch your day around a bit. I usually get about 6-7 hours of sleep, hit the workout hard, and then grab someting to eat (like breakfast for your night). You kinda have to trick your metabolism a bit. Also, DO YOUR BEST not to eat before you go to sleep in the am. You will wake up less motivated to work out and with a belly ache. Oh, yeah...water water water! I drink like 8 glasses of water while I am at work. Keeps me satisfied when I think about eating the junk my coworkers bring in. I am still working on adjusting back and forth on my days off. It is a struggle but I am hoping the weight comes off. Good luck to you and I hope my little bit of info helps you with reaching your goals. I cannot help you with the smoothies though...really don't like them at all.
  • CMXL
    CMXL Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I work till about 1 or 2 am but from home. Which is the worst because I end up eating a ton of crap during that time. Or at least a second dinner around midnight which I am trying hard to avoid.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    diet mt dew and peanuts from the vending machine is usually my midnight snack(usually only eat half)
  • MsBeautifullOne
    MsBeautifullOne Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to work night full time but now I only work nights prn.......

I have a few shifts someone up for the 70-7a shift....sitting on my *kitten* all 12 of those hours.
    My game plan:
    Pack healthy lunch and dinner IE: shrimp and broccoli or tuna and melba toast
    fiber one bar
    fruit/ and or yogurt
    gum
    music

I'm also thinking of getting on the treadmill before I get ready for work...might keep my mind on track
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    ya i bring fruit too
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Midnight to 8 here. Anyone, feel free to add me.
  • lurkette
    lurkette Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also work 11pm to 7am and it's a drag. When I first started this shift I would eat and drink constantly to keep myself awake. Sugar, caffeine, energy drinks, pills, anything.... anything that would work. I gained SO much weight, it was disgusting. Now I take lean cuisine meals and shove them in the freezer. Not snacking at night is very hard but I drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fruit and granola bars. Even bring from home when I can because everything in manhattan is ridiculously overpriced. I do a f**kton of overtime and end up having to load up on calories within a 5 minute window in order to prepare me for my impromptu 2nd shift...and there is very little around this area that is healthy. Dominos, Indian and Paki places, Checkers, McNasty, 2 empanada shacks, 7-11, Dunkin Donuts, etc, etc. You get the idea.

I spend extra money by getting ready made smoothies because I don't have a blender at home. When I don't have a lean cuisine meal I stop by a place before work so I won't have to rely on the few bad places that are open when I finally get my break. I'll shell out extra for sushi, walk the quarter mile to whole foods for their buffet, sometimes get a hummus pita even though they put too much tzatziki sauce for it to be considered dietary...I know this isn't an option for most, but I like putting my overtime money to good use. I'd rather have the free time to make plans, or sleep, but sadly my post must be covered at all times and the morning shift pi$$es through their sick days like kids in a toy store with too much money in their pockets.

Nope, no bitterness there. ]:(
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Options
    I do a rotating night shift. 11pm - 700 a.m. every 6 weeks. The rest of the period is split up between day shifts, afternoon shifts and evening shifts. We go through this cycle every 6 weeks. So food wise, I take it from home most of the time. On the night shifts, it will be something light like a salad and some nuts to munch on through the night. Before I started looking after my health, it was McDonalds or Hungry Jacks or a meat pie from the local road house and commercial ice coffee. Now I am edumacated it is mainly water and the salad/nuts. Normally have a good breakfast (or would the be evening meal) when I get home and try and get my workouts in before work as after work, normally have chores to do with the animal care.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    its very hard work not to eat junk even harder when the choice is limited,,,,,,, i make all my meals the previous day to avoid any chance of junk eating
  • themurph8910
    Options
    I work 11 pm - 7 am . I bring ALL my food with me. I bring fruit to eat on my break which is around 1 am, then I have a lunch break (most days) 4 am, and I eat usually left overs from dinner or oatmeal that i keep in my locker. Some times i bring a smoothie. then I eat after my workout in the morning when i get off. I am lucky to have a gym at my work. I also stand a lot at work or walk in place just so i can get moving. I try to stay away from the soda and vending machinces those can de-rail you fast.
  • makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I work night shifts at two hospitals. I just imagine all the food around me except my own is covered in MSRA. Haven't touched a donut in seven Weeks.
  • SpanishRapunzel
    SpanishRapunzel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    OMG you totally just read my mind! I work an 11-7 at a place that has fat food constantly available. I already struggle with binging, so this is more or less setting me up for failure. However, this is what I've found:

I second the notion of fruit. It's sweet and satisfying and if you eat it whole it can take a while to eat.
    Drink LOTS of water and 0-calorie drinks. I mean, have something in your hand the whole time you're at work.
    Bring a toothbrush and toothpaste if you can and brush your teeth on break. The awesome minty flavor reduces the chances of you eating junk.
    Allow yourself ONE worthless item if you're surrounded by food. That way you don't feel so deprived.
    Hope that helps!
  • midwife03
    Options
    I also work nights and found it really difficult not to eat loads of carbs overnight. I now take a protein shake to work along with boiled eggs and yoghurt.I make the shake using WPC powder with milk and smoothie cubes or frozen berries.I find this really satisfying but if I do need something else I have the eggs or yoghurt layered with frozen berries.Believe me I consumed a lot of carbs (far too many) and I thought I would miss them but I really don't at all.I have lost 4+kgs in just over 2 weeks and I have not starved myself.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Have worked the night shift for 9 years now. I also work in a hospital where everyone orders high fat, high calorie food. This is what I had to do. I stopped bringing any $, not even my check card. I prepare all my meals with only healthy choices. It took a few of my friends a long time to accept it and stop asking me to order with them. I secretly think they are jealous of me because they order so much and can't seem to stop, while I smile, say no thank you, I am watching what I eat and then love the salad or soup I did bring. I feel so powerful!
  • bakingmink
    bakingmink Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    7p-7a at the hospital 2 night a week'. I eat a healthy dinner with my family before i head to work. I pack 3 reasonable snacks and log them before I go to work. that makes it feel final and there is no adding on. Occasionally I eat a 60 calorie pack of graham crackers at 4 or 5 am and log it for the day it has become.