lab-grown meat

Options

Replies

• 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Do you know what I'm most excited about?

If we can grow meat to eat, we can grow meat to replace wasted and damaged muscle in an accident victim.

Now we just need to figure out the neuron bit.

Go science.

Also.. I eat meat. No intention of stopping ever. Personally, I just don't like legumes... and tofu is bleh... I'd fail at vegetarian. I have been trying to buy more free-range chicken and beef.... but... only as much as my budget allows. That's gonna have to be good enough.

The neuron bit is coming. I spent a few years doing neuro research, the brain is an amazing piece of organic engineering. We are really waiting for the technology to come up, but if we provide the brain with signals, it pretty well works out itself what to do with them, it is phenomenal. A good general starting point is "The brain that changes itself", by Norman Doidge (I think), and moving from there, the latest research in Nature Neuroscience surrounding plasticity. I am actually studying to put myself in a position to take advantage of this advancement when it comes. I want to work in the rehabilitation of patients regrowing limbs, of patients post stroke rewiring their brains through experience to regain total premorbid function etc... I love this stuff. Doomsayers have been around for a long time, science makes mistakes and learns from them. Doomsayers...well they just doomsay.
  • 15in8
    Options
    [
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options

If we can grow meat to eat, we can grow meat to replace wasted and damaged muscle in an accident victim.

Go science.

Also.. I eat meat. No intention of stopping ever. Personally, I just don't like legumes... and tofu is bleh... I'd fail at vegetarian. I have been trying to buy more free-range chicken and beef.... but... only as much as my budget allows. That's gonna have to be good enough.

Another one I really agree with. Well said.

We do what must, because we can.

Heheh...upvote for you.

And on topic...yeah...judgment bad...meat good...everything's genetically modified.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    think of all the poor animals that will never be born because meat can be created :(
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    think of all the poor animals that will never be born because meat can be created :(

Or die horrible deaths via slaughter in meat plants :( Oh the... er... animality...
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    the GMO's plant and animal boils down to one thing the all mighty money grubbers dollars.
  • hexrei
    Options
    the GMO's plant and animal boils down to one thing the all mighty money grubbers dollars.
    All farm industries boil down to money. There is a problem of course with patenting and copyrighting of processes and genomes on farming, and I agree there.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I support lab grown meat 110%. The term itself is used to propagate misinformation. I support GM crops 100%. Do people realise we have been doing this since the dawn of civilization? Goggle Gregor Mendel and read a book. Idealism is fine. It gives something to strive for, but people are dying folks. Has anyone been to a third world country? Does anyone know what this is all about? Trying to increase yields here, and prevent starvation. Or how about the GM crops that will thrive in salty conditions, or different climates?

Ignorance is boring, question everything and critically reflect on your own beliefs. It is like when people say "That type of food is soooo full of chemicals". Umm you bet your *kitten* it is! Think about it.

Science has brought us forward to a point where we have the ability to help people. If ethanol production were to increase significantly, I am guessing people would still want to drive. I wonder where the pastoral land would come from.

I like you. I approve of your thought process. And I agree.

I think we've got a ways to go with GM crops and obviously lab grown meat... but where others see horror stories, I see hope.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    The neuron bit is coming. I spent a few years doing neuro research, the brain is an amazing piece of organic engineering. We are really waiting for the technology to come up, but if we provide the brain with signals, it pretty well works out itself what to do with them, it is phenomenal. A good general starting point is "The brain that changes itself", by Norman Doidge (I think), and moving from there, the latest research in Nature Neuroscience surrounding plasticity. I am actually studying to put myself in a position to take advantage of this advancement when it comes. I want to work in the rehabilitation of patients regrowing limbs, of patients post stroke rewiring their brains through experience to regain total premorbid function etc... I love this stuff. Doomsayers have been around for a long time, science makes mistakes and learns from them. Doomsayers...well they just doomsay.

Yes, we're getting there. Slowly :)

I actually do neuroscience... not exactly along these lines- I work on neuron cell death in stroke, TBI, and disease. I'm doing Alzheimer's stuff right now. But I've read up on the plasticity stuff. And for that matter, the stem cell stuff they're doing to try and restore neuron function in the spine. Very cool. Very exciting.

I'll look up that author. I'm curious what he has to say.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd rather eat REAL food....I prefer farm raised meat, not lab grown. And I mean farm raised as in personally know the farm. I grew up on meat from my family's farm. I still get most of my meat from my dad. I wish we had a dairy cow though so I could have fresh milk, too....*sigh*
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian is Indian for "Lousy Hunter" :bigsmile:
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Go science.

Another one I really agree with. Well said.

We do what must, because we can.

for the sake of all of us (...except the ones that are dead)
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    We're missing the point. Scientists are not creating meat because they are trying to satiate the world's meat eaters. They are doing it, because they figured out how. Somebody had the idea, and then set out trying to "create meat".

This is all conjecture, but I'll continue: Science leaves out ethical stances on eating, or religious implications. Science just moves forward without regard to all of the societal constraints that we have labeled ourselves with.

I do not plan on eating the manufactured meat or any other meat for that matter, but I also do no see any connection to anyone's diet and the creation of this "meat".

Science and technology is all gas, no brake. This is an innovation. It's a little weird, but an innovation nonetheless. I don't think we need to try and blame anyone for it, as I am sure scientists would not want to share this blame/credit with anyone else.
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Im gonna chow down on this while I watch this all come crashing down

five-guys-burger-fries.jpg

This always happens - somebody has nothing intelligent to offer, so they just post a picture of the "juiciest" (i.e. fattiest) piece of meat they can find. Right along with all the others purporting that meat is such a healthy option! Ha!
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    We're missing the point. Scientists are not creating meat because they are trying to satiate the world's meat eaters. They are doing it, because they figured out how. Somebody had the idea, and then set out trying to "create meat".

This is all conjecture, but I'll continue: Science leaves out ethical stances on eating, or religious implications. Science just moves forward without regard to all of the societal constraints that we have labeled ourselves with.

I do not plan on eating the manufactured meat or any other meat for that matter, but I also do no see any connection to anyone's diet and the creation of this "meat".

Science and technology is all gas, no brake. This is an innovation. It's a little weird, but an innovation nonetheless. I don't think we need to try and blame anyone for it, as I am sure scientists would not want to share this blame/credit with anyone else.

Agreed.

It is pretty cool - but, like someone else mentioned, I think it would be better used for medical reasons.

I agree also with everyone who is saying that too many people like to eat meat for the meat industry to go away. But, if the meat was really raised and slaughtered ethically, and the price reflected that cost of raising and slaughtering it ethically, then a lot of people might just have to make a choice not to eat meat. I understand there are under-developed countries where people are dying of malnutrition everyday, but it doesn't meant that more meat would be the one and only way to help those people.

It takes way less space to grow crops than beef (especially if it is done ethically). It takes less water, too. Don't forget, you don't just need the couple of acres for the cow, you also need the acres of corn to feed the cow. Why not use all the acres for food crops? There would be plenty for everyone.

Also, a reminder that vegetarians and even vegans can get ALL their nutrients from a varied diet that is completely vegetable based. So, maybe we are "supposed" to be omnivores (I have my doubts, but that's a whole new can of worms), but obviously we can survive and even thrive as vegans/vegetarians. So why not? It's better for the environment and all the starving people in our world.

I have said before - the only reason is because you like the way it tastes and aren't willing to give that up at any costs. And that is FINE. No need to be obnoxious about it, just be honest.

I like meat too. I grew up eating it. I like the way my teeth sink into it. I am familiar with the dishes that it is cooked in. But, I don't eat it. Because I know too much about the way it is created, raised, slaughtered, and packaged. I don't need it. I can make all my favorite dishes with vegetable based foods. So, I choose not to eat meat. So, maybe meat grown in a dish would be pretty awesome....would have to learn a little more about that!

I think that is honest, not obnoxious. But, plenty of meat-eaters will call that a "holier than thou" attitude. Just because I feel like I'm making the best decision that I can with the knowledge that I have. Isn't that what we should all be doing? As long as you are doing that, great! No need to be defensive.
  • hexrei
    Options

LOL skinny-fat is you.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    LOL skinny-fat is you.

Excuse me? Skinny fat would be a compliment for me, as skinny hardly applies, but I'm not sure what you meant.

If this was a compliment, than thank you.

If it was intended as an insult, you failed.

If you typed this while sleepwalking, then cool.
  • 15in8
    Options
    There are bodybuilders out there that are vegetarians. As to science doing it because it can....I am guessing that the process of funding research both prior and up until the point of being able to grow the meat may be foreign to you, money is not easy to come by. One of the complaints of researchers is that they cannot do whatever it is they would like, because they can. As for religious implications, I will tap out there, science and religion have a heated past, with religion as the aggressor, and wrongfully so. Generally it is society that has driven the religious into morality, not the other way around as commonly believed. A society that did not jail, persecute, ostracize and execute those who tried to advance knowledge may have advanced a little quicker than the pace we have/are.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    what about meat glue? ew... Google it, who knew! Not I?! Definitely rethinking what's really left to eat that's not made over to someone else's specifications to make more $$$$$$$$$$...

Yes, meat made in a petri dish is beyond distrurbing... but I find anything with antibiotics and hormones in it gross... I simply can't purchase it anymore like that.:sick:

Leading me to getting away from any type of meats/fish/chicken. I guess I'll see how long I can last before I go that route. Beef is off my list way to gross to even put thought into. Fish and chicken are heading in that direction for me as well.

Hm......good thing I love Legumes!:love:
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options

LOL skinny-fat is you.
    :huh: what a VERY STRANGE comment to make!