CrossFit

Options
to all you cross fitters, how do you like it? Is it really as amazing as people say? Has it really changed your body??!

Replies

• funnyfitguy
    Options
    Love it or hate it... keep in mind, crossfit is a sport. It depends on what your fitness goals are.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Love it. I noticed myself getting tighter and stronger right away, and the camaraderie and support from the coaches and classmates at my box is just incredible.

There's a group on here called "CrossFit Love" - lots of great info there.

:)
    Amy
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I don't Crossfit, but I am guessing soon a certain member here who hates crossfit will post how dangerous it is.

I do similar stuff at home because I find gyms are just a distraction to me. I don't get motivated by people cheering me on. I like my own music playing and being able to put my concentration into things.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I would love to join a crossfit gym, but there too expensive :(
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I did it for a month, nothing new or revolutionary. I've been doing that type of training for almost 12 years. Now it's just got a catchy name.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Glad someone has asked about this, I'm taking a crossfit class at my university soon. The gyms are expensive...
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    <3 it! it's kinda cultish though.

beware the haters! there are a lot on here!!!!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm going to start CrossFit after my marathon .. I can't wait!
  • marcnee
    Options
    Been a trainer for a number of years and tried crossfit. Got a level 1 cert a year later. Cool concept but stay within your ability and you'll change forever.
  • zipperhead76
    zipperhead76 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love crossfit! Its really a good workout! But, its a tough routine.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it as a great "overall" fitness workout that I work into the rest of my training.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Anything that gets your butt moving I am for. Lifting weights is good for your body.

I have no issue with crossfit - but its not better than a well structured weight training program for building muscle. The diet that is pimped alongside crossfit is what most have issue with.
  • anonymouscuban
    Options
    Depends on what your fitness goals are. For most women, I think it's great and in line with the typical goal. Get lean and improve fitness level. It's just another name for a high impact circuit routine. Just be careful. I've seen a lot of horrible so called crossfit certified trainers teaching really poor form for compound lifts that can get you hurt real quick.

For men, it really depends. Again, if you want to improve your overall fitness/cardio level and you want to lean up, it's great. Just like any high impact routine. However, if you want to pack on muscle and strength, you won't get it through crossfit routines. Only the tried and true anaerobic heavy lifting and eating will get you big and strong. Then you can use crossfit to get you cut.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, all you have to do to become a certified crossfit instructor is to essentially pay $1000 and go to a week long seminar. There is no pass/fail test. You show up and pay, you get certified. So you essentially have no clue who is instructing you or what qualifications they have. Also, to get higher levels of certification, you pay more money and go to additional seminars...still no pass/fail.

Another thing I find interesting is that the founder/creator doesn't do Crossfit himself. At least Tony Horton does P90x and Mark Rippotte still lifts. Its kinda like having the overweight and out of shape gym coach trying to tell you what to do.
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, I'm going to try it soon. I have a good friend who does it, changed her life completely. I, as many others said, can't afford the monthly membership. I belong to a regular gym which is good for me. I have a 6 session trial for a CF gym in IL I'm going to try. It looks like something I want to do...... much discipline and the ability to kick my butt.
  • hwlnmd
    Options
    If CrossFit is a sport, why does the mainsite state it's suitable for people from 18-80 because the workouts are scalable?
    CrossFit is whatever your personal goals are.
    Some people join simply to improve their overall health and fitness.
    Some people join because they want to compete in the sport of CrossFit.
    A good CrossFit gym is inclusive, not exclusive.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    To me, Crossfit is something that would appeal mostly to people that like to do everything to the extreme. Personally, I have never even considered joining. I know so many people that got injured doing their intense workouts, and when they could not exercise for weeks on account of the injury, they regained a bunch of weight and got out of shape. Eventually, they all decided that Crossfit just wasn't worth the pain or expense.

Before you join, you might want to check out these articles about Crossfit:

Getting Fit, Even if It Kills You

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashio
    n/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewa
    nted=all

Lawsuit alleges CrossFit workout damaging

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/08/ma
    rine_crossfit_081608w/