Where do you run?

Options
I want to start running! Where do you prefer to run? treadmill or outside? I can't decide I enjoy walking/jogging outside but I am

embarrass since I am still quite big and I am no runner (but i will get there). I was thinking about starting in the treadmill and then

gaining my confidence to be that chick that runs outside every morning ;) I am going to start the Couch to 5k tomorrow. :)

Replies

• fguillory
    Options
    I so want to try running but maybe when i am down 50lbs, i'd prefer to do it on the treadmill

I can run to the fridge though...does that count?

in all seriousness good luck!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    right now since it's cold and snowy and I'm kind of a wimp, I mostly run inside on a treadmill or the indoor track at the gym. I run with two running groups outside when the weather is decent.

If you plan to do any races, eventually you'll want to run outside, but the treadmill can also be a great workout! Good luck!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors if its above 30 degrees. If there is a chance of ice on the roads I also skip outdoor running. I prefer outside than treadmill. I find it's easier for me to run outside because I don't get bored by looking at the wall or a tv screen. I started with walking and slowly added running in. I picked a training plan that fit into my schedule and ran a half and full marathon after 7 months of running. I'm hooked and can't stop! Good luck on your journey!
  • alexa_ann
    alexa_ann Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I run outside, Im lucky and live where there is a lovely path by the river.

Don't be worried about how you look while running! You are doing something amazing and others have no room to judge. I adore the couch to 5k program, on week 5 and am already running close to 3 miles!

Ultimately, its your choice, do what makes you most comfortable, try both!

Good luck on your running adventures!
  • mrsred79
    Options
    I don't have room for a treadmill in my tiny house, so when I started running the first time, I ran on my street after dark because I didn't want anyone to see me. I'm feeling a little more confident this time around, so I go during the day most of the time so I can use the whole neighborhood instead of only the street I live on.
  • mrsred79
    Options
    Oh, and I just finished week 2, day 2 this evening! LOVE c25k!
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I run outside.. Always interesting things to look at, plus I live near a beach so I get a nice dose of fresh sea air too :)
  • kristi_asco
    Options
    i've been running on treadmill for now, but that's because it's been too cold for me to run outside! i get itchy working out in the cold!! lol :P
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Weather permitting, outside. Just being outside moving your *kitten* puts you in a category most of society isn't in. So good on you, get outside and don't worry what others are thinking. You're out there,not them.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    With the cold, snow, ice outside its been safer to run on the treadmill. As it warms up I run on the flight line, and will contiune on out door tracks around post. :)
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I run outside, Im lucky and live where there is a lovely path by the river.

Don't be worried about how you look while running! You are doing something amazing and others have no room to judge. I adore the couch to 5k program, on week 5 and am already running close to 3 miles!

Ultimately, its your choice, do what makes you most comfortable, try both!

Good luck on your running adventures!

Me too! I have a great path by the river and it's only a 3 min walk from my house. I just finished week 2 of c25k.
    There are differences to running outside and on a treadmill...the treadmill is going to seem easier because you don't have to propel yourself forward like you do running on the street. The first few times I started running I hurt myself after just a few weeks b/c I was trying to go too fast (speed and distance). I personally find running outside sooo much nicer than the treadmill. I've been going for about 2 months now (and no injuries Yay!)
    The biggest thing with running outside is you learn to self regulate your speed. On a treadmill you just set a speed and that's what you run at, whereas outside it's entirely possible to go too fast and wear yourself out too easily, but learning this is a good thing (it helps you from hurting yourself).
    Do what you're most comfortable with, but don't be embarrassed either way. You're taking steps to make yourself more healthy, and that's something to be extremely proud of :) Run with pride!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Away from monsters:).

I like to do sprints in the y's gym.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I like to run out in the country~side where we live{ weather permitting}. Since it has been cold, I run on the treadmill. I LOVE C25K!
  • DiscipleN2k
    DiscipleN2k Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I loved running outside. I'm sidelined with plantar fasciitis for now, but I can't wait to get back out and run again. I say if you enjoy running outside, keep running outside and don't worry about anyone else. You may just inspire others who are too self conscious to run outside to finally give it a shot.

A small warning from a former heavyweight runner, though: learn how to run without heel-striking and use short quick strides to lessen the impact on your feet. That kind of weight slamming your feet into the pavement repeatedly for months on end can do some serious damage :(
  • I love running outside, but I'm also a bit embarrassed about seeing people I know, so I always run in the bush - it's a lot harder and there are more hills and obstacles, which is a good thing I suppose and I don't have to worry about seeing anyone I know. :)
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just started a version of couch to 5k this week, I have to go slower at like 30 second jog to 2 min walking, and I love to do it outside. I prefer one of our local parks because I'm a nature type of person and I also get bored very easily so running around our neighborhood stinks for me :( Some days my mind is there and I don't care who sees me, I still have days where my mind wins that war but I'm getting better. I would say to just get out there and do your thing. You aren't running for anyone else but yourself and I've only really recently realized this. If YOU want to run outside, run outside it doesn't matter what others think. It's hard mentally, but you will feel better once you just do it. I'm over 300lb jogging little bits and I'm sure I look RIDICULOUS .. who cares though! I'm getting healthy, I'm happy, and I'm becoming active that's all that matters!

Good Luck!
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do both. I run on the treadmill pretty much everyday but run outside when I don't go to work. I think I like running outside better though.
  • iMatzy
    iMatzy Posts: 11
    Options
    I run outside, treadmills bore me. I run everywhere, park, on our subdivision, etc.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I was 250lbs when I first barreled down a hill giggling like a maniac. I prefer to run outside (then and now). I get SUPER bored running 8+ miles on a tread and then I preferred then the wind in my ponytail. Now that I'm training for a toughmudder I prefer to get my miles and hill work in here:

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww132/Jack41_album/Five Mile Drive Tacoma WA July 2010/5MileDriveTacomaWA037.jpg

here: http://images2.estately.net/1_302451_0.jpg?x-ts=1323756945

and here: http://www.zvents.com/dynamic_images/8/0/3/7/987308_640x385_letterboxed_5.jpg

For the record: You're never "too big" to run or walk outside. If people judge you for exercising- *kitten* 'em. You're doing the right thing for you. You should be applauded for taking the initiative and getting out there. Don't worry about what you think other people think about you. Do what makes you happy and healthy.

:flowerforyou:
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural area in the south, so I pretty much exclusively run outside. We don't get much cold weather. :) I do my intervals at our local 1/4 mile track, and I have a 3.5 mile loop that I run on our family farm. The loop is half dirt road and paved road....great scenery and very little traffic. :)