Replies

• ncytiz
    ncytiz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing! Thanks so much for the encouragement :happy:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The more I learn about the subject, the more convinced I am that it's not only possible, but necessary. I'm 42 and just getting ready to start the NROL4W program. I'm also looking forward to reading The New Rules of Lifting for Life (comes out in April, I believe). It's specifically geared for the middle-aged crowd.

13438744.png
  • ncytiz
    ncytiz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking forward to reading The New Rules of Lifting for Life (comes out in April, I believe). It's specifically geared for the middle-aged crowd.

Good to know. I'll have to watch out for that one as well. Thanks!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    The more I learn about the subject, the more convinced I am that it's not only possible, but necessary. I'm 42 and just getting ready to start the NROL4W program. I'm also looking forward to reading The New Rules of Lifting for Life (comes out in April, I believe). It's specifically geared for the middle-aged crowd.

13438744.png

For me, it is. When I drop strength training with heavy weights, pounds creep back on.....
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Yes it can benefit you. Better yet, heaving lifting will help increase your bone density. Other than having some physical limitation that stops you from doing so, lifting heavy weight can benefit people of any age, the only exception would be young people whose growth plates on the bones have not closed up yet, but even they can benefit from weights, but need to be careful. Make sure you warm up well, and that you have a good understanding of proper form. A good personal trainer can be invaluable here. Youtube can help as well. And there are lots of knowledgeable people here on MFP as well.
  • jhalton
    Options
    I'm not a woman, but I am 50 :). I highly recommend strength training. I think the older I get the more I need to add strenth to my aging joints, etc. If a gym intimidates you, you can workout at home with little investment. If a gym is intimidating, check around and ask to workout for a week for free or small fee to get the 'feel' of a gym. If the gym if full of meatheads gawking at you, find another. Check out Jen Talton's blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/myboysmomx2/view/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-what-equipment-is-needed-216963. Send her a friend request. She is a MFP superstar so you may not get alot one-on-one attention, but she is into The New Rules of Lifting for Women too. Feel free to send me a friend request if you want.

Blessings,

Jack
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have a look at bodybuilding.com they have some great plans - with some specifically for women 40+. And there are demo videos, it's free and there's no ordering and waiting for a book to arrive.
  • itsanot
    itsanot Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm 49, I lift weights 3-5 times a week as my schedule permits! I love it! I was at a plateau till I started this 2 months ago. I was watching my calories but not really losing anything. I met with a personal trainer that showed me how to lift properly, and set me up on a routine. I've been doing that for 2 months slowly upping my weights and loving every minute of it! Yes you will find muscles you never knew you had!! Go for it!! You will not regret it at all!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm not a woman, but I am 50 :). I highly recommend strength training. I think the older I get the more I need to add strenth to my aging joints, etc. If a gym intimidates you, you can workout at home with little investment. If a gym is intimidating, check around and ask to workout for a week for free or small fee to get the 'feel' of a gym. If the gym if full of meatheads gawking at you, find another. Check out Jen Talton's blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/myboysmomx2/view/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-what-equipment-is-needed-216963. Send her a friend request. She is a MFP superstar so you may not get alot one-on-one attention, but she is into The New Rules of Lifting for Women too. Feel free to send me a friend request if you want.

Blessings,

Jack

Thanks for sharing this Jack! I love heavy lifting and I think you will too. It is truly our way to the "Fountain of Youth!" For some reason, the link that Jack included above doesn't work. Try this one instead: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/myboysmomx2?month=201202
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I don't have any actual references handy, but I have read & heard over & over again that the segment of the population that gets THE most benefit from heavy lifting is.... THE ELDERLY!!! Take it from an Old Lady of 55: YA GOTTA DO IT!!! :glasses:
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    47 and lifting heavy.

I can rock a bikini. :)

Heavy lifting has tightened me all over, and helped me lose excess fat faster. Well worth it.

This girls another good example of a "not as young" lifter.

Shes age 40

Rob-hammer-2.jpg

Never to late to start!

My god,I want to look like that!!!!!!!!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the older you get, the bigger percentage of your workout should be strength training. At 40, I am lifting more than ever and am loving the strength and empowering feeling it gives! :smile:
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    You better believe it. I bought (2) 5 lbs. weights & am trying to strengthen my upper body. MY legs are strong from biking, but I need to get ride of that "jiggle" in my upper arms before summer. I can feel it tightening up. I just got some exercises off the internet. I will be 57 next month.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!
    I'm 44 and I'm doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women! If I can do it,so can you!

There are many benefits to lifting heavy. Just make sure you're eating enough calories,using proper form and giving your body enough rest in-between sessions.In fact some women have gone to personal trainer to help them with their form,just to make sure they are doing the exercises right.

You'll love the rush of lifting heavy!
  • LainieKnits
    LainieKnits Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and lift weights 2-3 times per week. I'll check out the book people are recommending, but I'd also like to suggest an older one called Body for Life for Women by Pamela Peeke. I also agree with the suggestion to start out with a session or two with a trainer, just to make sure of the proper form.

Keep us posted on your progress
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Turning 55 in April and have been weight training for over a decade. Am about to start lifting heavy, though, as my regular routine is not working as well anymore. I've been doing 8 and 10 pound weights for a while, about to graduate to some 15 pounders for some of the exercises and decrease my reps. I don't go to a gym, do all my work at home.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes it can benefit you. Better yet, heaving lifting will help increase your bone density. Other than having some physical limitation that stops you from doing so, lifting heavy weight can benefit people of any age, the only exception would be young people whose growth plates on the bones have not closed up yet, but even they can benefit from weights, but need to be careful. Make sure you warm up well, and that you have a good understanding of proper form. A good personal trainer can be invaluable here. Youtube can help as well. And there are lots of knowledgeable people here on MFP as well.

This is most of what I wanted to say. Bone density is key. Anything you can do to improve it is essential.

Just go slowly and be careful. Any weight bearing exercises are great. No need to get heavy too quickly. The older we get the easier it is to injure ourselves and the slower we are to heal.

Use common sense and the very best of luck. I always wished I could lift heavy but physical problems always prevented it. Any weight is better than no weight, though.

Don't let age ever get in your way. Sometimes you have to have a different approach than someone younger, but we have usually gained enough wisdom to develop workarounds. :)
  • ljwood57
    Options
    I'm 54, only half way to my goal (lost 55 so far) and have joined a fitness gym...lifting weights! Go for it!