Morning sickness?

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
I have a friend who is concerned she is pregnant and asked me if I knew anything about morning sickness. I don't, but I said I know just the people to ask!

She and her boyfriend had unprotected sex on Monday morning - that is, they didn't use a condom, but she is on birth control pills and they also used the "pull out" method. She hadn't thought much about it until she woke up this morning. She felt totally fine for about an hour, then very suddenly felt nauseous and within the next two minutes she was vomiting. That's when she called me terrified - could this be morning sickness? We tried looking it up, and the good news is most sources say it doesn't start for 4-6 weeks, but a couple of places said it can start as early as conception.

Do you guys think this could be morning sickness, or is it just a coincidence? I guess it could easily be a stomach bug. We are both just kind of freaking out right now because she is too young to have a baby.

(And yes, I know, they shouldn't have had unprotected sex in the first place. Sometimes people do stupid things "in the moment.")

Replies

• reinventingandrea
    Options
    Some people would probably tell you it's too soon for your friend to be experiencing morning sickness but with all three of my pregnancies I swear I knew the next morning because of morning sickness. The best thing is to have your friend wait and take a hpt or go to her doctor. Good luck!
  • bjwbmw
    bjwbmw Posts: 55
    Options
    She might have just been sick. Buy a pregnancy test kit and at the appropriate time - take the test. If she is really concerned she should see her physician.
  • nytenurse03
    nytenurse03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's too early to call it morning sickness. It could possibly be a fluke. She would need to wait 2-4 wks to really be able to say morning sickness. It's also too early for a pregnancy test.
  • cneale91
    cneale91 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i doubt she is pregnant cos she wouldnt be getting those kinda symptoms so soon plus if she is on brith control and used the pull out method i doubt it highly, probably a stomach bug x
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    She's on birth control pills.... if she's taking them the same time daily, she's approaching 100% covered. Be aware, pull out is not effective because the lubrication from men typically contains sperm and in some documented cases it can be more concentrated than the final "harumph".

Secondly, it's been 5 days. This is more likely something else.
  • RESiani
    RESiani Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i highly doubt its morning sickness for two reasons- A) its way too soon, those people that get sick at 'conception' are like 1% of the population and B) shes on the pill, IF she is taking it properly its pretty effective. tell her if she keeps freaking out, it will delay her period. IF she is pregnant and already have morning sickness, it means the HCG level is high enough to trigger her body that its pregnant which means it is also high enough for an early response home pregnancy test.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Maybe cuz she's freaking out about it. I used to get that feeling....for years and years while trying to avoid pregnancy. Come to find out, my husband and I are infertile. Go figure.
  • Shannie93
    Options
    It changes with every different person. I didn't have morning sickness at all throughout my pregnancy. The best thing for her to do would be to wait a week and take a pregnancy test. If she can't afford even a cheap one, go to the clinic where they'll give you one for free :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I think she's far more paranoid than likely to be pregnant.

And for heaven's sake, people, please educate yourself about how your body, birth control, etc, works when you start having sex! *pet peeve*
  • Happymom12
    Happymom12 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The bug is going around here and I didn't experience morning sickness early on but who knows everyone's body is different for sure. I would suggest taking an at home pregnancy test and calming her nerves that way. The longer she waits and thinks about it the more she will be nervous and make herself sick. My nerves have gotten to me and made me sick before when I was worrying about something. For her sake I am hoping she was just worrying about it and subconsciously made herself sick. Good luck to them.
  • Shannie93
    Options
    Oh & also, being on the pill doesn't mean anything. I know many girls who were on the pill who fell pregnant. It happens to a lot more people than anyone would think. Not saying she is, but you wont know for certain until she takes a test :smile:
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    She probably has the flu, morning sickness doesn't start until 3-4 week weeks.
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Uh no...she's probably all worked up over what happened and making herself sick. I had morning sickness with all 3 of my kids. It didn't start till around 5 weeks or so. There is no way she could get it that quickly. It takes time for the hormones to build up to the point to make you feel sick.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Really unlikely that it is morning sickness. My boobs hurt and I had a missed period before the morning sickness. I agree with everyone else - wait until her period is supposed to come and if she is still worried she can test. Also, if she is that concerned she should behave in a manner consistent with a pregnant woman (i.e. no drinking, take vitamins...). Probably just the flu. It'sgoing around everywhere. It's hit my area 3 times this season.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    i doubt she is pregnant cos she wouldnt be getting those kinda symptoms so soon plus if she is on brith control and used the pull out method i doubt it highly, probably a stomach bug x

This. I had severe morning sickness with both of my pregnancies, and it didn't start until 4 weeks. If she's on birth control, it's likely just a coincidental, badly timed stomach bug...
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    The pill it's self gave me morning sickness. Especially if I took it before bed or in the am when I woke up.
  • easuess
    easuess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    And for heaven's sake, people, please educate yourself about how your body, birth control, etc, works when you start having sex! *pet peeve*

^^ Just in case anyone missed it the first time.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure morning sickness would not occur that early. Not sure when this happened, but you can take Plan B for up to 72 hours afterwards.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm a little more concerned you and your friend think the "pull out method" is a form of birth control.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Every medical source I've read says it's too early, but I know I knew within two days that I was prego based on what my body was telling me... feeling nauseated all the time, no appetite, low-energy, increasingly tearful...., but then again that could have been because it wasn't a normal pregnancy and I did wind up having a miscarriage... so I don't know.