MFP LIED.......HELP!

Options
So five weeks ago MFP said maintain this calorie count and you will weigh 205 in five weeks..well guess what I still weigh 220...the first two weeks I lost ten pounds and there I have stayed..the last two weeks based on advice from others I have increased my calorie count and yet here I am still at 220....I cut out bread cut out my protein bars...what else do I need to do....

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You can manually adjust the calories. Everyone's body and metabolism is slightly different. Take off 100 cals and see how you weigh in next week and report back.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    So wait - you weighed 230lbs to start, and were eating to lose 25lbs in 5 weeks? Try setting your goal to 1lb/week and eating your calories. The if you are trying to consistently lose 5lbs/week, you would be creating a deficit of 2500 calories a day...so basically you would have to be eating practically nothing, or working out for hours every day.

Plus, that end of the day calculator is never right.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options

^This. I looked through your diary briefly also. You may have raised your calorie goal yet you still barely eat 1100 calories a day. On days you worked out you net MUCH less than that. Try actually eating your calories, if you're not losing weight than you have nothing to lose.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The past two weeks was an increase in calories?!!?!?! You are eating under 600 calories some days, most days under 1000. And you're wondering why your body doesn't want to give anything up? You need to seriously increase to a level that will actually sustain and nourish your body...I don't think I could do anything but sleep if I ate an average of 800 calories a day.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    If your diary is accurate, you aren't eating nearly enough. Eat more, watch your macros, and you will likely see much better results. MFP's prediction is nothing more than a calculation based on simple math, and I really wish they would get rid of it because I think it rewards and encourages undereating. Your body is not that simple.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    But sometimes I wish I had it in me to repeat a particular day every day for 5 weeks to see if it is telling the truth - because that is the only way you would know if it "lied." It says "based on today....you would weigh...." So, you'd have to eat exactly the same and exercise exactly the same and in 5 weeks you would weight..... I am betting it wouldn't be lying but who would want to do that for 5 weeks to tell for sure? :laugh:
  • BigMamy
    BigMamy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had a wee sneaky peak at your food diary. You never seem to be eating your calories (and at times never anywhere near). I have read a lot about this "starvation mode" but am not very sure whether I believe it or not. But I reckon if you are not losing weight on what you are eating, then this could be the reason why. I would up your calories and see what happens. Also are you doing any kind of exercise?
  • Astrowife68
    Options
    And don't forget to drink your water. :drinker:

14171021.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    LOL MFP has been saying id weigh 155lbs on my cals daily. I'm 138 and dropping.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    lol..MFP ALWAYS lies to me..just don't listen...keep working and you will get there when you get there, it is a journey not an overnight getaway
  • ClioGayton
    ClioGayton Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So wait - you weighed 230lbs to start, and were eating to lose 25lbs in 5 weeks? Try setting your goal to 1lb/week and eating your calories. The if you are trying to consistently lose 5lbs/week, you would be creating a deficit of 2500 calories a day...so basically you would have to be eating practically nothing, or working out for hours every day.

This!
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You need to NET at least 1200 cals a day so if you workout and burn an extra 200 you need to eat it to make sure you at least net it. I was in the same boat as you.... Now I've started to lose since I upped my cals :-)
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    And don't forget to drink your water. :drinker:

14171021.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

^^Yep

You have to have 1200 at least just to live, otherwise your body grabs all the fat you take in and saves it, all the while burning your muscle.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Either you are not logging what you are eating, or you are not getting in enough calories. At the 1340 that MFP is recommending you are already at a deficit to lose weight. There are days logged where you've eaten 400-700 calories. Your body isn't going to lose weight when it is starving.

Spend two weeks eating every single one of your 1340 calories that you have and see what happens.
  • charneus
    Options
    You're fooling yourself if you think that eating xx amount of calories only is going to cause you instant weight loss.

5 lbs a week isn't weight loss; it's undernourishment, and you're going to suffer greatly in the end. Please, don't try to lose all your weight as if it's a race. You're going to harm yourself in the end and you're going to wind up putting much of the weight back on.

MFP didn't lie to you. Those results don't take into account water retention, muscle toning, etc. It just means that if weight were only based on calories, this is what you'd weigh.

Also, read my post about "The reason you fail at losing weight". Hopefully, you'll obtain a better understanding of how this weight loss thing goes.

You've got our support, but be healthy about it!
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It also says "if every day were like today". Since that's impossible due to sleeping habits, activity, how much water you drank, and what/how much you eat, you can't really count on that. Also, I agree with the person who said 25 pounds in 5 weeks is a lot. MFP is just a guideline and a tool to help you. It isn't a replacement for your own thinking. I suggest taking some time to educate yourself about weight loss, nutrition, and exercise so that you have a good base for the future.

Good luck and congratulations on what you have accomplished so far :)
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I am also wondering about the 25 lbs in five weeks... That's way more than you should expect to lose or even try to lose! :-)
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The predicted weight is a guesstimate based on various factors. Everyone is different and loses at a different pace. Mine is telling me I'll weight 212 in 5 weeks. LOL I wish, it's possible but it's unlikely I'll have the time to work out like I do when my Husband is home from work everyday, somedays I will eat just junk.

You may need to adjust your lifestyle section (very active, active, not active) to something more acurate for what you're doing. If you do not eat your calories bad things happen. I try to leave around 150 calories at the end of the day, somedays more somedays less. Are you getting your 8 glasses of water? I find that is a big factor for me, no water intake, weightloss drops right down.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I am betting it wouldn't be lying but who would want to do that for 5 weeks to tell for sure? :laugh:

I've been doing this for 60 days now, and have consistently met my 5 week goals that MFP has put out there. Does it work for everyone, probably not but it has for me.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    One of three possibilities here and all of them have to do with you.

1. You set MFP up incorrectly
    2. You are not logging your intake correctly
    3. You are retaining alot of water which could be throwing the scale off. Any sudden increases in either carbohydrates or sodium will cause water retention.

Everything is an estimation and everybody is different.