Just who are the MPF creators?

Options
OK, Let me say that I love this site, and I believe it does what it is supposed to.....help us lose weight, and make the owners money.

But several days ago, I received a snide answer from a user along the lines of "It's done that way and works that way because MFP made it that way" And a few people agreed with the poster.. I don't even remember what I asked... but here is my point: Is this just a website made by people who want to make money, or are there any medical professionals involved with the site? I don't see any "About Us" links.

I tend to think it is just a website creation team whose goal is profit... nothing more, nothing less. And I am 100% A-OK with that.

But I wouldn't go so far as to believe that if MFP says it is true, well, it must be true. Does anybody have a clue as to who owns this site, and where they draw the basis of this site from? I hope I am wrong, in a way.

Replies

• LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Beats the heck out of me, but you have an extremely valid point... Until MFP tells me otherwise. :wink: :laugh:

FYI: serious about the first part, joking about the second. :happy:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It's always true...if you are a sheep. You are going to hear a lot of things. Being an intelligent human, you listen, then compare it to what you know, accept it or reject it. Pretty simple. Or better yet, add this knowledge and do more research.

Essentially it doesn't matter what the creators intended. You make it what you want.

Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal is owned and operated by LeeCommerce LLC, a private company based in San Francisco, Calif.

Apparently.

I tried to get to their site, but it appears to be a bit...dead.

http://leecommercellc.com/
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    it's a free website....how exactly are they in the game of making money?
  • LJV1031
    Options
    Even free sites are out to make money, by advertisers and the like (think google & Facebook) though I believe some have very noble intentions (such as MFP). The end result is always about the $$$$$$$$$$. :happy:
  • AlexHill88
    AlexHill88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Through advertising.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Advertising. Google is a free web search and that is still one of the main sources of income.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    ...er they make money from the ads....they don't really bother me that much though..
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

The crap ton of advertising on every single page of this site maybe?
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

Adblock prevents that
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

THOSE LOVELY ADVERTISEMENTS, LOL Just like facebook :)
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    You'd be wrong sir!

b0ovvl.jpg
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    They make their money by selling the ads you see on every page.

Here's all I've been able to find:

http://www.corporationwiki.com/California/San-Francisco/myfitnesspal-llc/47561788.aspx

Apparently it's a limited liabiliy company owned by two other LLCs: Leecommerce and River Road Interactive.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options

advertising,all those lovely ads all over the site,they make money of them. Its not like they made this site out of the kindness of their hearts with no monetary gain what so ever lol
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Yes i understand that, it just seemed that the OP was implying they are making money off of the members and that perhaps MFP is just a load of bull, but mfp doesn't really make money off of us. I guess in a way they do if we click on the ads, but how many people actually do that?

It's a free website that has helped thousands of people reach their weight loss goals yet people still question whether it works or not, i don't get it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I guess in a way they do if we click on the ads, but how many people actually do that?

LOTS. If they didn't, all of this would go away.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
  • LJV1031
    Options
    I don't think he was questioning whether it works, but questioning more the exclusive thoughts that whatever MFP says is the end all answer to all questions, which means there's no reaon to think outside of the box. He also mentioned being 100% ok with the site being here to make money, so I don't think he was berating MFP for that either, especially since he's still here, partaking in the use of the site, and hopefully has already began to see some success.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It's always true...if you are a sheep. You are going to hear a lot of things. Being an intelligent human, you listen, then compare it to what you know, accept it or reject it. Pretty simple. Or better yet, add this knowledge and do more research.

Essentially it doesn't matter what the creators intended. You make it what you want.

Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis.

I agree. Still would be nice to see and about us page js. :)